
It was just as Priest Wilbert had said.
The cottage was small, perhaps because it was intended for use only from spring to autumn during the harvest season. Still, it felt quite cozy, as if someone had been staying there until recently.
The first thing that caught the eye was a window that took up a large portion of one wall. Harris, peeking out from behind, marveled.
"Wow. There's a glass window."
Though it was opaque, a large piece of glass had been fitted into the window inside the shutters.
Iris also seemed surprised by this, looking toward the priests with wide eyes. Priest Marid sniffed and answered proudly.
"It was Abbot Wilbert's wedding gift."
"Oh my, Father."
Iris didn't know how to react.
It seemed that the cottage used by the field guards looked too shabby, so Abbot Wilbert had shown his generosity.
But it must have been incredibly expensive.
Touching it closely, the ripples were consistent, suggesting it had been made by a very skilled glass artisan.
"When did you..."
"It weighed on my heart that I couldn't always put a window in your room."
Abbot Wilbert smiled benevolently.
The window faced southwest. Without saying much, Rahan opened the window and pushed back the shutters. Then, when he closed only the glass pane, the cottage was filled with sunlight.
Iris sniffled.
"Thank you."
There are hundreds of such glass windows in Grand Duke Lacheize's palace. But how many houses in a rural village like this would have glass windows?
The bond between the priests and Iris Achen seemed deeper than he had thought. Rahan crossed his arms, leaving that scene behind as he looked around the cottage.
The fireplace on one side of the house was structured to lead outside. That would likely serve as the hearth from the exterior. Since there was no hearth inside the house, it seemed it might be a bit cold at night.
The room wasn't divided. That made sense, as it was a cottage for a field guard to stay in temporarily.
The household goods were simple overall. A large bed occupied one side. Rahan glanced up at the loft.
"I brought these just in case. Use them for now."
The identity of the luggage Harris had been carrying was finally revealed. From the sack Priest Marid opened came potatoes, a bundle of greens, flour, salt, and such.
Riet, who had followed late, said, "Heave-ho," and set down a bundle of firewood.
Seeing the supplies, Iris was overwhelmed with gratitude, but Rahan only felt the reality of the situation after seeing them.
'I really have to live here.'
He had fully expected that Grand Duke Lacheize would find it uncomfortable to bring Iris Achen into the Grand Duchy.
He just hadn't expected it to be like this. Of course, he wasn't dissatisfied with it.
It was just too sudden.
"And this is my wedding gift!"
Whether Rahan was lost in thought or not, Priest Marid opened a separate small sack. Iris let out a gasp.
"Honey!"
"Ahem. It's rock honey gathered in the spring."
"I remember! Priest Marid got stung really badly on the nose back then!"
Inside was a jar of rock honey gathered from the cliffs and a bundle of cinnamon sticks. Glancing inside, the bark was thick and the center hollow; they were clearly items from the Eastern Continent.
Even if the honey was gathered personally, the cinnamon must have been quite expensive.
"There's this too."
Abbot Wilbert cleared his throat and produced a small leather pouch. Inside were ten gold coins.
Iris's eyes were now brimming with tears.
"You didn't have to go this far..."
"Regardless, are you not my adopted daughter? If my daughter is getting married, I must send her off with at least a dowry."
"Heeing."
While Iris hugged Abbot Wilbert, Riet, standing behind, smacked his lips and whispered to Harris.
"Aren't wedding gifts usually shiny things? Like rings, necklaces, or something."
"Hey, what the hell would be in a poor temple like this? Shut your mouth."
Hearing those words, Rahan felt a bit uneasy.
'Should I have prepared something like a wedding ring?'
Originally, Grand Duke Lacheize had offered to prepare a wedding ring.
'The new bride needs a ring. Take one of the Grand Ducal jewels.'
'No thank you. I don't want any repercussions from receiving that.'
'My, how disappointing.'
At the time, he had refused without much thought.
Jewels from the Grand Ducal house were excessively expensive, and he felt that if it were revealed he had prepared a ring in advance for a kidnapping marriage, it might cause problems.
But listening to Riet and Abbot Wilbert, he suddenly felt concerned about Iris's empty hands.
'Well, it's no big deal. It doesn't seem like she particularly wants a ring anyway.'
While the man was lost in thought, the conversation between the priests and Iris continued.
"Auntie Laura will come tomorrow. If there's anything uncomfortable after staying a day, let her know."
"Auntie Laura?"
"Wouldn't Auntie Laura be better at kitchen work than Father Sorell?"
Father Sorell. It was a name Iris had mentioned. He probably wasn't good at kitchen work. That was Rahan's guess.
Anyway, Priest Marid winked after saying that. Iris wiped her tears and giggled.
"I'm going to tell Father Sorell!"
"Look at you, you little Iris. The moment Sorell uses your kitchen, you'll realize how wise I was."
"Marid, it's almost time for the noon prayer."
Abbot Wilbert urged Priest Marid. No matter how much Iris was on their minds, she was now an outsider, not a member of the monastery. There was no reason for the priests to waste their daily routine staying here.
Priest Marid gave Iris one last hug, as if reluctant to leave.
"Stay well, Iris. I'll come check on you often."
"Heeing."
Iris's eyes welled up again. Priest Marid affectionately patted Iris's cheek a couple of times and then looked toward Rahan.
"Brother Rahan. I shall call you that from now on."
"Go ahead," Rahan nodded.
Priest Marid made the holy sign of Eridrahan and spoke seriously.
"I entrust Iris to you. Even if she is not a daughter of House Ahen, she is a child whom everyone at Wind Rock Monastery raised with precious care."
"I know."
"I'm glad you know."
Priest Marid smiled brightly and stepped a bit closer.
"The blessing of Eridrahan be with you."
Then, he whispered lowly.
"Speak kindly to her. If you ever make a single tear fall from our Iris's eyes, I'll make sure you have to be careful on the roads at night."
Rahan narrowed his eyes and then let out a short laugh.
"It seems you're the one making your Iris cry right now, Father."
Caught off guard by the remark, Marid whipped around to see Iris with teary eyes. Abbot Wilbert, noticing the situation, glared.
"Marid, you rascal. Saying useless things again..."
"Ah! I'm just worried! Aaaah!"
Before he could even finish his sentence, Priest Marid was dragged away by Abbot Wilbert, who had grabbed him by the ear.
While Iris watched the situation with wide eyes, wondering what was happening, it was Riet who approached her.
"I'll come by once every three or four days too."
"Coming quite infrequently for someone checking on an exiled guy."
"Actually, I should check every day, but I think you'd hate that."
Riet shrugged.
"I suddenly got a vacation too, and I don't particularly want to see the Captain's face every day."
"You damn brat. Harris, what about you?"
Harris scratched the back of his neck and replied.
"I'm leaving before lunch, Captain. I'll send word once I arrive in the Grand Duchy."
"Right."
"...Take care for a while."
They were comrades who had shared that long expedition. This situation of parting was unfamiliar to everyone.
However, neither Harris nor Riet seemed to have any desire to linger longer.
"I'll be going."
The door of the cottage closed with a thud.
Now, only the two of them remained.
.jpg)