
Marquis Raymond, who had secretly entered the Imperial Palace, looked gaunt and emaciated.
It was well-known in social circles that Marquis Raymond was a devoted husband and a doting father.
Indeed, people often said that with such daughters, one could feel full without eating. How heartbroken he must have been to see his beloved and cherished daughters in such a state.
His second daughter's first fiancé had died, and her second fiancé had left without a word to marry another woman.
Now, Marquis Raymond's second daughter had been reduced to a ghost of her former self.
Promising young men would mock her, and it might be difficult to find a decent marriage prospect for her anymore.
They would be wary of Duke Spelman.
Moreover, with her first fiancé dead and her second fiancé married to another woman, rumors would spread that there was something wrong with Raymond's second daughter.
Since this happened after Duke Spelman met with the Crown Prince, it was clear that the Imperial Family was involved.
Marquis Raymond resented the world. That was why his expression was not bright when he saw Cerden.
"I greet the sole sun of the Lakeisha Empire. May your glorious light illuminate the Empire."
His voice was devoid of strength.
"Sit."
Cerden nodded. Marquis Raymond sank his thin frame into the chair.
"I heard you haven't been feeling well. Are you better now?"
"...I am grateful for Your Highness's concern for such a humble person as myself."
"It would be better to get straight to the point rather than prolonging unnecessary talk."
Cerden narrowed his eyes and smiled. This was a force that had almost fallen into Duke Spelman's hands.
Marquis Raymond was one of the things Duke Spelman had to give up because of this incident. How gratifying.
Cerden would not miss this opportunity.
"Please speak."
"...I heard that your daughter's engagement was broken off again."
Marquis Raymond, overcome with emotion, gripped the armrest of the chair tightly.
Whose fault is that!
His face seemed to shout. But Cerden spoke without any agitation.
"Even if we were hasty, it cannot be said that Augustine was a very good groom."
"He was the best match that could be found in Lakeisha's central social circles. Now my daughter may have to live alone for the rest of her life. Or she may have to enter as a second wife to a man older than me!"
Marquis Raymond could not hold back his words.
"Why do you think so? I support women's political and economic activities. Don't you think there might be another path for your daughter? Because she is the second daughter?"
"What do you mean..."
Marquis Raymond blinked slowly. He looked like an ordinary middle-aged patriarch living in the old days.
He must have been steeped in the idea that the family business should unconditionally be inherited by the firstborn. Since the second daughter would not receive a title anyway, he must have been trying to promote her marriage so that she could have a title.
Because receiving a title is a difficult thing.
Now Cerden was trying to give him that opportunity.
"Send your daughter to me."
"Yes...?"
Marquis Raymond's face turned even paler. He knew that the current Crown Princess was not in her right mind.
Even so, shouldn't there be a limit?
"...She may seem lacking, but she is a child I raised with all my heart. To think that I would now... make my precious daughter... a concubine?"
Cerden leisurely drank his tea.
He was completely different from Marquis Raymond, who was trembling with anger.
"I refuse. Even if my daughter says she wants to, I..."
"You are thinking too extremely."
"Yes?"
"I mean that I will teach her well. There are countless people who work for me. When I come to rule the Empire in the future, your daughter may be able to take a position. I say again, I do not discriminate against people if they are talented."
Marquis Raymond stared at Cerden with a surprised expression. He had never imagined that he would receive such a proposal.
Marquis Raymond's body lost its strength.
"My daughter as an aide..."
"My people will decide which position she will work in. Everyone has different capabilities and different suitable positions."
"..."
Cerden left Marquis Raymond to think it over.
In fact, Cerden was thinking of assigning the Marquis's daughter to Evelyn when the time was right, when she needed more people.
Evelyn had been doing what she could in the limited circumstances she had been in. Cerden did not know what she would be able to do in the future.
She might be content with the current situation and remain as Cerden's good companion, a person who comforted him.
'That's not bad either.'
But somehow he felt that Evelyn would accomplish something more. He also wanted to give Evelyn strength.
Cerden said in a soft voice.
"Whatever misunderstandings you may have, one thing is certain. I am satisfied with my wife. I do not want to disappoint her."
Marquis Raymond swallowed. He thought it was just sarcasm, but Cerden's expression was surprisingly sincere.
Spelman's daughter? That idiotic Crown Princess?
"So there will be nothing to worry about."
At those words, Marquis Raymond wavered greatly. If he accepted this proposal, he would be completely at odds with the Spelman family.
Duke Spelman does not forgive those who turn their backs on him.
But even if he put Augustine and Cerden's proposal on the scales, he felt that it would not tip to one side.
Marquis Raymond swallowed hard.
He did not know what Duke Spelman was ultimately pursuing. He suspected that he wanted to put the Emperor under his thumb...
But Cerden, as he appeared now, did not seem like he would obediently become a beast licking his feet.
Marquis Raymond took a breath and said.
"May I discuss it with my daughter?"
"Of course. I look forward to meeting you formally next time, rather than sneaking in like this."
"Yes... Your Highness."
Cerden smiled smoothly.
* * *
Gaining Julia was not just gaining a friend. She knew more than I did and was really smart.
"...So, according to Julia, I can get back my assets and my mother's assets that were taken away by Duke Spelman?"
"That's right."
I think I know why Cerden sent Julia to me. Julia was the daughter of a family that had produced chief justices for generations.
I heard that she grew up reading law books instead of fairy tales. That means she was very familiar with the Imperial Law.
"That is property that Your Highness inherited from your maternal family. And since you are a descendant of the late Duchess, you have sufficient grounds to claim ownership. The problem is that there may be a contract between Duke Spelman and the Duchess..."
As far as I know, a contract that has already been sealed cannot be undone.
"Will that be a problem?"
"But there is still plenty of room to fight. Because we don't know what conditions there might be."
I pondered Julia's words. And I recalled Evelyn's past. There were still no pieces to be gained from it.
Still...
"I think it would be good to investigate my mother's death."
"The Duchess's death?"
I nodded.
"Duke Spelman was the one who benefited the most from her death."
My maternal family was a family that had accumulated enormous wealth through the defense industry. My mother was the only heir to that family.
I knew that Duke Spelman had taken her place after my mother passed away.
Duke Spelman's history was well documented in the original story.
"...Even so."
It was something that an ordinary person could not imagine. But Duke Spelman was always a person who went beyond common sense.
Killing his wife for his own benefit.
"It will be difficult to investigate because it is an old case, but I am sure there is something there. If we start from there, we may be able to find a clue."
"I will do as Your Highness says."
Julia said with determination.
Finally, I was able to do something. I couldn't help but smile at the elation that I might be able to change the world.
.jpg)