
The path to revenge was painful, but its fruit was sweet. A cool smile hung on Cerden's lips. During his time in Yures, the embers Cerden had planted had begun to ignite. One of them had now borne fruit.
The brilliantly blazing flames would surely engulf their targets one by one.
Cerden's role was to provide a constant supply of fuel to keep those flames from dying out.
Cerden summoned his aide. Evelyn would be having tea with Elizabeth at this hour.
"Report everything you've learned about the Bentley family."
Cerden spoke in a pleasantly languid voice. He thought of the Bentley family as firewood to keep the flames burning.
"The Bentley family has been a vassal family of the Duke Spelman family since its inception. They haven't been prominent, but they've always cleaned up after Duke Spelman. I don't know why Miss Seila Bentley was chosen, but it seems Spelman is planning to adopt her."
He must need a way to create a solid connection with the Duke Roger family.
Having lost Augustine, he needs another child to use as his puppet. Duke Spelman might be thinking of using Rodrick Roger like his own son.
Taming the still-young Rodrick to his liking. Of course, Dimiter and Julia won't stand idly by, but a cunning old fox like him will somehow find a way. Even the walls of a thousand-year-old fortress are bound to have cracks.
"Let's think of a way to attack Spelman using Seila Bentley and the Bentley family. I have a feeling they might be a boon to us."
The aide, who never usually argued, hesitated.
"…Miss Seila Bentley is only five years old, Your Highness. She's at an age where she doesn't know anything, and she's just a young girl being used by Duke Spelman."
Cerden stared blankly at his aide.
"Duke Spelman can use that harmlessness to wield a sword as much as he wants..."
He was about to finish his sentence when Evelyn came to mind. And, against his will, he remembered her past, when she had been manipulated and hurt by Spelman.
'I get hurt too. I get angry too.'
He also remembered that face, so distorted that it was painful to watch.
Cerden sighed softly. Since meeting Evelyn, it was as if a control device had been installed in his head. He had never hesitated to give such an order before.
On the battlefield, he too had been a child.
The enemy had been careless when they saw Cerden. What could that mere child do? They mocked him, saying he couldn't even properly hold a sword with his still-immature bones. Cerden survived by cutting down those who were careless, again and again.
And conversely, he had been deceived by the weak and helpless and stabbed several times. An old woman who had collapsed on the street, a crying child, a knight writhing in agony as he died.
And his mother and Veronica, who had oppressed Cerden because he was powerless and had nothing to offer.
Never be careless. You must never be careless. All the good in this world comes from lies. The more virtuous, the more wicked; the more vulnerable, the stronger.
"Ha."
And yet, Evelyn comes to mind.
Helpless and vulnerable, yet strong and beautiful, his Evelyn.
'I will protect you.'
Cerden squeezed his eyes shut. It seemed he was already within Evelyn's domain.
Seeing Cerden hesitate, the aide cautiously said,
"Would you... like to reconsider?"
"I will."
Cerden agreed.
* * *
Tea time with Grandmother Elizabeth was relaxing. My great-aunt read a book, and I read a book as well. We had small, brief conversations, but we respected each other's rest.
My great-aunt said that she no longer had dreams of Cerden dying while staying here.
The Emperor's garden, where golden arrows bloomed in full glory.
Me, holding a blood-soaked sword.
As the time to return to Lakecia approached, I kept dwelling on that dream. Of course, golden arrows are flowers that bloom in early summer. By the time we return, they will surely have all withered away. They are flowers that are sensitive to changes in the weather.
What exactly did that dream imply?
It might mean that I will contribute to Cerden's death. If I don't focus on the sword, that interpretation is possible, isn't it? That something I do will cause Cerden to die.
My great-aunt said that we had overcome one hurdle, so I didn't have to worry too much, but how could that be possible?
"Haa."
Is Duke Spelman plotting something again? Using me?
If I could, I wanted to open up Duke Spelman's head. To dig up all his dark secrets. No, honestly, isn't that enough to have at that point? Why is he so endlessly greedy?
"He's like Scrooge. Ugh."
I slumped onto the sofa. There were only about five days left until we returned to Lakecia from Yures. As I leaned back on the sofa and thought about Duke Spelman, Cerden came in.
"Cerden? Are you done talking? Is there something else going on in Lakecia?"
"Of course not."
Cerden naturally kissed my forehead. The warm touch and breath of his lips as they touched and pulled away tickled. I felt much better. I pulled the blanket over myself as I snuggled into Cerden's arms.
"Augustine Spelman is dead, Evelyn."
"I see."
After all, someone's death can never be a pleasant thing. Even if he was a villain. How wonderful would it have been if Augustine had reformed and atoned for his sins by serving kindly.
"And I hear that Duke Spelman is preparing to adopt Seila Bentley. He's planning to slowly devour the Duke Roger family."
"...There was no separate contact from Roger?"
Cerden shook his head.
"Well, perhaps they couldn't contact me carelessly at a time like this. When I go back, I'll meet Julia and..."
"I don't doubt Roger. I've decided not to doubt them."
Cerden smiled. Then he gently stroked my neck.
"Julia is a good friend of yours. And so are Rodrick and Ria."
"Duke Roger is also a good friend to Cerden. He's also a comrade who came back alive with you."
Cerden met my eyes without a word. At times like this, he seemed to be telling me firmly. That if it weren't for me, he wouldn't trust anyone. That betrayal happens closest to you, and that people's greed is endless.
"Please trust Duke Roger a little more, Cerden."
"Looking at you, you're very generous to Dimiter. Do you like him? Well, Dimiter has always been popular with young ladies since he was young."
Cerden narrowed his eyes and muttered.
What on earth is he thinking to make such a twisted expression? If I let my guard down for a moment, he starts thinking strange things. I grabbed Cerden's cheeks tightly and said clearly.
"I'm being generous to your friend, Dimiter Roger, Cerden. I don't want you to lose a good friend. The cause and effect must be clear. Besides, Duke Roger is not my ideal type."
Duke Roger, I'm sorry.
But it was true. Even when I read the original novel, I was strangely drawn to Cerden. It broke my heart that such a handsome man would suffer so much and die.
"I'm glad to hear that."
Cerden kissed the bridge of my nose happily.
I feel like he's been showing more physical affection lately. Ahem, is this okay? Of course, it's okay. What's not okay about it!
As long as I don't get caught, right?
I giggled and hugged Cerden, who was kissing me.
.jpg)