
"I will show you the earth beneath."
The head of The Nine protested at Iana's words.
"Show us the earth beneath? Are you daring to perform tricks in His Majesty's presence?"
Iana calmly continued, "As I mentioned earlier, the Arika Vine has not yet been removed from the Eastern Palace."
"So, you're suggesting a spell to enter the earth beneath the Eastern Palace?"
"If we excavate that earth as it is, place it in a massive Glass Tube like a glass greenhouse, and I demonstrate purification magic before His Majesty, wouldn't that be proof enough?"
"......!"
The faces of all the 9th Circle Archmages hardened.
Iana watched the flustered 9th Circle Archmages and thought, 'If I eliminated the Arika Vine with purification magic, all nine of them would have lied, saying they still felt magical power.'
Because if the Empire's greatest Archmages pushed the narrative, people would have no choice but to believe it.
The Emperor, with an intrigued expression, spoke as if watching an amusing spectacle.
"That's a good idea. What do the 9th Circle Archmages think?"
"......We shall do so."
The head of The Nine, with a flustered look, had no choice but to answer.
He probably thought the Emperor would use Iana to attack his political rival, Grand Duke Ervin.
But Iana was certain that the Emperor would take her side.
"He was a good teacher. His brother, His Majesty the Emperor......"
The Emperor was engaged in tyranny, but he was clearly Charles's teacher, a man of great intellect.
'The Emperor must have realized this was an opportunity to seize control of the Council of nine archmages.'
They were a group that even the Emperor couldn't easily handle.
It was The Nine's miscalculation.
They were so focused on capturing Iana that they misread the Emperor's intentions.
The Emperor loudly commanded his secretaries, "Ensure no one approaches the Eastern Palace and have a massive Glass Tube constructed."
At that moment, Iana and Riel's eyes met again.
Iana gazed at Riel, who looked at her as if saying, 'Not bad,' and conveyed with her eyes, 'Riel, now it's your turn.'
✦ ✦ ✦
The next morning, while the Emperor was out hunting, Riel headed to the monastery.
Furious, she had sent a letter to Duke Havel through a healer the day before, as if notifying him.
As she arrived at the monastery, the head monk was, as always, waiting at the entrance.
"To have you visit again like this......"
Riel cut off the head monk's words as she stepped out of the carriage.
"Is he here?"
"Yes? Ah, yes. This way."
The head monk was flustered by the blunt question.
"I'll go myself."
Riel ignored the head monk and headed to the prayer room where she had met Duke Havel.
'I can't keep being led around by Duke Havel.'
Thump-.
She roughly opened the door to the prayer room and entered.
Duke Havel was praying with his hands clasped together, looking like a monk.
Next to him, ridiculously, lay a rolled-up whip.
Riel entered without greeting and sat next to him.
An icy silence followed.
Eventually, it was Duke Havel who spoke first.
"Are you daring to start a battle of wills with me now?"
"Why? Did you ignore my letter?"
Riel provoked him, staring directly into Duke Havel's eyes.
Duke Havel raised one corner of his mouth in a sneer.
"You seem to be mistaken about something. I decide what choice to make."
"......"
"Even if it's the wrong decision, you simply obey my orders."
Riel turned her gaze to the statue of a god hanging on the wall.
"Duke, do you know why people follow gods?"
"......"
Duke Havel stared silently at Riel.
"Because they are flawless beings. Who would follow a flawed being who makes wrong decisions?"
Duke Havel spoke sarcastically.
"Are you daring to lecture me? You, who came running here, frightened by what happened just yesterday."
"Frightened?"
Riel, who had been listening quietly, laughed loudly. As if it didn't matter if their secret rendezvous was discovered.
As her laughter grew louder, the tension increased.
Duke Havel slowly unfurled the rolled-up whip and spoke.
"You seem to have become arrogant after receiving the Emperor's favor."
Riel, who had been laughing for a while, turned cold.
"Why do you think I called you here without considering the consequences?"
"Shut your mouth."
The moment Duke Havel tried to swing the whip, Riel strongly grabbed his hand holding the whip.
It was a clear provocation.
Eventually, Duke Havel's anger exploded.
"How dare you!"
Riel grabbed Duke Havel's wrist even harder and spat out, "I've come here to warn you! A warning that I can reveal at any time that you and I are involved because of your impulsive actions."
"......!"
"If you want me to obey, don't make mistakes. Because I will never die alone."
The two glared fiercely at each other, as if they could kill each other.
Then, the monastery bell rang out beyond the window.
Peacefully and calmly.
✦ ✦ ✦
Late in the afternoon, Iana stood in front of the Eastern Palace.
The First Order of Knights, under the Emperor's orders, guarded the area strictly.
This was because no one could know what kind of magic the 9th Circle Archmages might cast there.
'How will The Nine move?'
Iana pondered, looking at the scene.
If she showed purification magic through the massive Glass Tube as it was, The Nine would have no choice but to be defeated.
But she had a feeling they wouldn't be easily defeated.
It was then.
Thump, thump, thump.
From afar, half a dozen knights came riding on horseback.
Iana knew at a glance who they were.
"Your Highness!"
She waved her hand towards Charles with a slightly surprised expression.
He was supposed to be touring the Northern Outer Fort for three days, and Iana had deliberately not sent anyone to inform him separately.
She didn't want to worry him, as he couldn't come anyway.
It seemed that people from the Empress's side, who were close to him, had informed him.
He jumped off his horse and approached her, asking, "What happened?"
His voice, asking with concern, was somehow sharp.
"How did Your Highness come? You said you would stay at the Northern Outer Fort for three days."
"I quickly toured and came back. It seemed the situation here was urgent."
"It's as you heard. The 9th Circle Archmages came while Your Highness was away."
Iana explained, as if it were not a big deal, not wanting to worry him.
"Then why didn't you tell me?"
Charles asked with a displeased look.
"I judged that it was something I could handle to some extent."
"......"
"If it was something difficult for me to handle alone, I would have informed Your Highness immediately."
As Iana finished speaking, Charles took her hand and said soothingly, "Iana, whether it's something you can handle alone or not."
"......"
"I want you to inform me immediately about anything related to your safety."
Charles came close to her and whispered in her ear, "Especially in the Imperial Palace."
Their eyes met for a moment.
"......Yes, I will from now on."
Iana replied in a slightly dejected voice.
She had only done it for Charles's sake, but she felt upset, as if she was being reprimanded for doing something wrong.
Charles lowered his upper body, made eye contact with Iana, and asked kindly, "Are you upset because I said something unpleasant?"
"I know why Your Highness said that, but yes, a little."
"Then I will ease your upset feelings."
Iana stared blankly at him at Charles's sudden words.
"How?"
Charles straightened his back and ordered a soldier nearby, "Go and bring Iana Archmage's mage here."
"Why Andre? Are you going to leave the Imperial Palace?"
Iana asked.
Charles smiled meaningfully and continued, "Iana, true retaliation must be done at an unexpected moment."
"Yes?"
Iana tilted her head, not understanding what he meant.
"The Nine have already been attacked by you once, so they won't think they'll be attacked again."
"Then, are you saying?"
Iana's eyes widened with a surprised expression.
His kind face turned cold.
"I will make it clear from now on."
"......"
"What happens when they touch you when I'm not around."
.jpg)