VWB 33

Happy
0
The Villainess Wants to Be Terminally Ill
In the original story, Yulan—or rather, 'Nox'—was incredibly active.

Though it wasn't always obvious on the surface, he was present for almost every moment the female protagonist needed help.

From minor things like finding a dress for the Imperial Crown Prince's birthday banquet to major feats like uncovering evidence of the atrocities committed by 'Yevgenia.'

Everything he achieved would have been impossible unless he had the entire Imperial Capital of the Atrux Empire laid out before him like the palm of his hand.

In a way, one could argue that the female protagonist discovering 'Nox' first was a cheat-like ability granted to her.

'Well, it's not just a thought; it might actually be true. Luck isn't something you can get just by trying hard.'

However, the power of 'Nox'—which made the mere act of receiving his help feel like the luck of a lifetime—was even more impressive than such coincidental abilities.

Was it the power of a prince, or something Yulan had achieved through her own capabilities?

I couldn't be sure, but regardless of the answer, it was certain that she could be of help to me.

'This time, I'll be able to hire her with proper compensation.'

What Yulan valued and what she desired as payment.

If I could find this out in advance, it would be a tremendous help in avoiding the worst possible future.

To do that, I first had to meet her.

I gestured to Anna, who was quietly waiting for my call by the door, and asked.

"Anna. Did you mention you have younger sisters?"

"Pardon? Yes, My Lady. I have twin younger sisters."

I gently took the hand of Anna as she approached.

As I looked into her eyes and gave a slight smile, I could feel her grow tense.

She might be acting sane now, but it wouldn't be easy to forget how, just a couple of months ago, she used to tear dresses and throw household items around, claiming that Raymond wasn't paying attention to her.

'Well, she'll get better over time. Actually, it's surprising how obediently she's followed my words until now.'

It was a relief that the past Yevgenia focused solely on Raymond.

She was too busy chasing him and guarding against the Young Ladies around him to even find time to bully Anna.

I wasn't sure whether to call this a blessing or a cause, but...

Either way, isn't a good result a good result?

"Listen, Anna."

"Yes, My Lady."

So that my sincerity would reach her.

Or more accurately, so that it would look like I wanted my sincerity to reach her, I squeezed Anna's hand tightly.

"I'd like to gift some clothes from Madame Magnolia's boutique to your sisters as well. What do you think?"

"...What?!"

Perhaps because it was such an unexpected proposal, Anna jumped as if she had forgotten her hand was being held.

Thanks to that, a funny situation ensued where my hand bobbed up and down for a moment.

Because of this, I was able to smile naturally and speak without even needing to act.

"You've been by my side for quite a while, but I think this is the first time I've seen you look this happy. That's why I wanted to do something more for you."

"O-Oh, My Lady..."

Anna was a child whose emotions shifted rapidly.

Her expression turned tearful so quickly that her previous tension felt like a hallucination, and she gripped my hand even tighter than I was gripping hers.

She was even trembling slightly; it felt as though she was deeply moved by my added words.

For a moment, my well-executed acting faltered.

Is it really okay to use such an innocent and kind child as a tool to create my alibi?

'...My conscience is stinging quite a bit.'

Still, I wasn't doing this to commit a crime or something evil, but to protect my own life.

After completing that rationalization, I continued in a soft tone.

"Summer is just beginning, but shouldn't we prepare now so you can spend the winter warmly?"

"My Ladyyy...!"

Considering Anna's age, her sisters would be around 15 at most.

Given that they were at a growing age, no matter how much they altered or bought clothes, they would never have enough.

Winter clothes are also far more expensive than those of other seasons, so this would be more than enough to reward her loyalty.

'Furthermore, if I keep the work commissioned until winter, it will be much easier to meet Yulan if things happen to go wrong.'

Going to get a new dress every time wouldn't be a burden on me, but the problem was my own reputation.

If rumors spread that I only got my dresses from a secluded boutique in a neighborhood crowded with the poor, rather than the shopping district for nobles...

'It could start with rumors that I have debts my father doesn't know about, then move to gambling, or a pregnancy from a secret affair, and perhaps even that Madame Magnolia is my father's mistress.'

I wasn't saying this because I was delusional.

In reality, there were frequent cases in noble society where people could no longer show their faces because such absurd rumors had snowballed.

'I might not care about myself, but I can't let my father's reputation be tarnished, nope.'

Therefore, this level of distance from the Magnolia boutique was just right.

My dress, once when it's important.

Instead, several times for a highly cherished close maid.

'If I build an image of being a great employer like this, many people will be willing to follow me when I leave for recuperation later.'

Completely unaware of my ulterior motives, Anna was on the verge of sobbing.

"I... I didn't even realize My Lady had such a deep heart, ugh, my Lady is truly kind, thoughtful, and warm-hearted, hic."

"Yes, that's enough. I'll be receiving your gratitude for the rest of my life anyway."

At my words to wrap things up quickly, she looked ready to wail again, so I waved my hand to stop her, stood up, and looked for some stationery.

To buy time for negotiations with Yulan, Madame Magnolia had to contact her in advance.

Seeing as she had practically rushed over as soon as I sent a letter previously, I should be able to meet her at the perfect time if I sent a letter before visiting.

I finished the letter, using a fair amount of flowery language to indirectly request that she 'call Yulan.'

Handing the neatly folded envelope to Anna, I said.

"Now, please deliver this letter to Madame Magnolia. And don't forget to take care of your sisters!"

* * *

"My Lady! It's so pretty!"

"...Is it? Thank you."

"My Lady's voice is so pretty too!"

"I see, your voice is pretty as well. Your name was... Sena, right?"

"That's right! I'm Sena, and she's Sona! To tell us apart so quickly, as expected of My Lady...!"

You two are wearing different colored clothes; if I couldn't tell you apart, wouldn't there be something wrong with my eyes?

I swallowed the question that had risen to the tip of my throat.

Anna's twin sisters, Sena and Sona, were far brighter and far more talkative than I had expected.

It had been less than five minutes since we boarded the carriage to the boutique, but I was already drained.

At first, Sena and Sona seemed intimidated by the fact that I was a high noble and were just observing my reactions.

Since they seemed too nervous, I gave them some candies to help them relax, which resulted in smashing the lock that had barely been holding their mouths shut.

"My Lady, My Lady! Which way is this road going?"

"My Lady, My Lady! Have you ever been inside that shop over there?"

"Girls! Stop! How rude of you to My Lady!"

My ears felt like they were going to burst, but I forced a smile and stopped Anna from intervening.

If they were children this talkative, they would widely spread the image of the 'ideal employer' I was projecting.

After several—no, dozens—of questions and answers, by the time my voice was nearly hoarse.

Rattle—

"My Lady, we have arrived at the Magnolia boutique."

"Finally!"

Sena and Sona's eyes widened at the exclamation that escaped me involuntarily.

"...Now I can show you all plenty of pretty clothes!"

For the first time in my life, I was grateful for my own reaction speed.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!