VWB 34

Happy
0
The Villainess Wants to Be Terminally Ill
“As expected of My Lady!”

“Our Lady is truly the best!”

A smile naturally escaped my lips as I watched Sona and Sena calling out to me, adding improvised melodies to their cheers.

I was a bit—actually, quite—exhausted, but this boisterous atmosphere wasn't half bad.

It occurred to me that it might be a good idea to bring Sona and Sena along when I eventually move down to the villa after the engagement is canceled.

‘They’re this happy just by visiting a noble's shopping district and a shabby dress shop; they'll absolutely love it at a villa overlooking the sea.’

Thinking of a bright future made me feel a surge of vitality returning to my body.

After taking the coachman's hand to step out of the carriage, I entered through the door Anna opened for me.

Tinkle, tinkle—

Immediately after the clear sound of the bell, a heavy thumping noise echoed from the second floor.

Anyone could tell it was the sound of Madame Magnolia—the sole owner and employee of this dress shop—rushing down.

Sona and Sena seemed to notice as well, as they looked at each other and giggled.

Seeing how they quickly stifled their laughter when Anna gave a stern “Hush!”, it seemed this wasn't the first time such a thing had happened.

“Well done, Anna.”

“It is my duty, My Lady.”

If the Madame had come down and seen Sona and Sena laughing, she might have felt humiliated.

Since I would need her help frequently in the future, I couldn't let a trivial matter like this damage our relationship.

By the time Madame Magnolia arrived, having ceased her laughter, her hair was slightly disheveled.

‘Looking at the dark circles under her eyes and the bloodshot whites, she must have been staying up late often recently. Is it because of my dress?’

I had told her that Anna’s clothes could be altered slowly, but my dress was a different story.

Within a month, it had to be completed with perfect quality, enough for me to stand before the Imperial Crown Prince.

And it had to be made using pearl silk, a material the Madame was using for the first time.

‘Hmm, my conscience pricks me a bit. But this is also necessary for her.’

Of course, the Madame would have received plenty of attention and success even if she had only taken on Stella’s dress.

That was something she had already achieved in the original story.

However, if she created a dress for the only Imperial Princess of the Empire, and if that dress were an artistic masterpiece talked about for ages, it would trigger an explosive reaction that “sufficient attention” couldn't even begin to describe.

‘If that happens, I’ll be able to get the reaction Yulan wants even faster.’

On the surface, it looks like I am giving the Madame an opportunity, but Yulan, at least, will realize that I am helping him.

‘And no one else should realize it. Especially you, Madame Magnolia.’

Seeing as she didn't even employ a single staff member despite receiving sponsorship from Yulan, the Madame was a woman of immense pride.

If such a woman found out she had become a cog in such a grand plan, it wouldn't be surprising if she declared she was quitting the dress shop.

Thus, I reached out to her with the most natural smile possible.

“Madame, it’s been a while.”

“Ah, Young Lady Martyr.”

Whether my intention to respect her was properly conveyed, her hand gripped mine firmly.

She seemed to glance briefly at Sona and Sena trailing behind me, but quickly averted her gaze and asked, “Have you come to check on the dress?”

“Among other things.”

“Ah...”

At my answer, the Madame stole a glance at Anna.

She seemed to remember that during our previous meeting, I had specifically sent Anna away before bringing up Yulan.

Before the Madame could make a slip of the tongue, I beat her to it.

“These girls are Sona and Sena. They are my maid's younger sisters.”

“Oh, yes, yes.”

“My maid liked the clothes the Madame gifted her so much that I thought I might give some gifts to her sisters as well.”

...I hoped she would realize this was just an excuse.

Fortunately, after a moment, the Madame nodded exaggeratedly and replied.

“To take such thoughtful care of your subordinates' families, you truly are exceptional, Young Lady. As it happens...”

“Exactly! Our Lady is truly different!”

“...Uh, yes? I-I see...”

The Madame had merely offered a polite platitude to usher the sisters inside, but Sona snatched it up instantly.

Feeling that the situation from the carriage would simply repeat itself if I left it alone, I cut in.

“Just how warm-hearted the Lady is, even to us who met her for the first time today...!”

“Sona, you said you wanted a hat as pretty as Anna’s, right?”

“Gasp, yes! When I first saw Sister Anna’s hat, I truly fell in love with it at first sight! The way the little ribbons were exquisitely attached, making it look like a pattern at a glance—it was so beautiful!”

...To think she could spin such a long sentence so quickly from a single word.

Seeing her eyes sparkle more and more as she spoke, she seemed to genuinely love talking.

However, this was a talent that should be displayed to those I would later gather as candidates for servants.

And for now, she should display it not before me, but before the Madame.

“Yes, yes. The person who made that pretty hat is this Madame Magnolia right here.”

“Ohhh, this is the person...!”

“If you want clothes and a hat as pretty as Anna’s, it would be best to talk as much as possible with the Madame to clearly express your tastes. Don't you think so?”

“...The Lady is right!”

I sent an apology to the Madame with a glance.

I was truly sorry, but I desperately needed an excuse to stall for time.

If I set it up this way, Anna would be too preoccupied with my orders to properly restrain Sona and Sena.

In the end, the only one suffering was the Madame.

‘I’ll pay her back sufficiently in money, so I hope she can bear it just for today.’

Fortunately, the Madame was a talent capable of leading a famous dress shop.

She seemed quite skilled not only in making and designing clothes but also in naturally drawing in customers.

“Now, now, let the young ladies go up to the second floor. I will go up after I have attended to the Young Lady, so please look through the catalogs or the displayed dresses first.”

“But...”

“Anna, it’s fine, so please take care of Sona and Sena. Since they seem so excited, shouldn't we be careful that they don't accidentally commit a discourtesy toward the Madame?”

“Yes, My Lady...”

Normally, she wouldn't have let them go so easily, but it seemed Sona and Sena were children who caused quite a bit of trouble usually.

It was a pity for their older sister Anna, but for me, it couldn't be better.

The sound of chattering gradually faded away beyond the stairs.

When I had visited before, I thought the first floor was quite narrow, but coming back now, I saw a hidden space behind the displayed dresses.

“This is the space where I usually rest when there are no customers. It’s easy to notice when someone enters, and I can hear the sounds from the second floor faintly. So...”

“You're saying we can meet in peace. Thank you.”

“Ah, no. Then I shall leave you to it.”

I gave a moderate nod to the Madame as she bowed deeply.

After she left, just as I was sitting comfortably on the sofa and roughly tidying the hem of my dress.

“Didn't you call me too early?”

“Compared to my plan, yes. That's because something urgent has come up.”

The hand gripping the back of the sofa moved with a tap, tap sound, like someone playing a piano.

He seemed quite interested in my urgent matter.

He likely wouldn't be able to resist asking about it once he heard the new request I was about to make.

‘Should I offer that as the reward for the request?’

Considering Yulan, who showed absolutely no interest in money or titles before, this might be a reward that actually works.

With a faint smile, I placed my hand over his constantly moving hand.

Gently patting the hand that had frozen still, I asked.

“By any chance, do you know any young noblemen who are crazy for money, but also have a weakness that can be used for blackmail? Preferably someone with a decent face.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!