WYL 10

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
"Do I really have to say it?" The foolish question sent violent ripples across the previously still surface of my mind.

"Do you really need me to say it for you to know? Ivan, that man Valentin has rejected my invitations nine times. Not once, not twice. Not five or six, but nine whole times! Do you think that's too small a number?"

"So you're meeting him out of spite. What exactly do you plan to do once you meet?"

"I'm going to make him regret it. Of course, I won't let it affect you, so don't worry. Just don't get in my way."

"I'm sure you won't."

A thought suddenly occurred to me.

Was the reason Ivan avoided me—or perhaps disliked me—because he thought I only brought bad influence into his life? Was I just a nuisance, an annoying little sister who clung to him and always tried to win?

When you thought about it, Ivan was quite well-behaved around Tatyana and Vasily, even if he grumbled. It really might be that he only dislikes me.

Our destination was a luxury townhouse on Santurtu Street, a fifteen-minute distance from the Imperial Palace.

Holding the hand of Ivan, who served as the sole guardian for this outing, I climbed the seven steps—which felt absurdly narrow compared to the palace. A servant of the Tolstoy family, who must have been watching from the window the entire time, popped out immediately to take Ivan's hat and coat, as well as my hat, before disappearing.

Passing through a hallway filled with warmth, we entered the reception room, where a line of young men and women who looked to be around Ivan's age stood to greet us.

"Welcome, Your Highness Ivan. And... Her Imperial Highness Princess Larisa. Everyone has been eagerly awaiting your arrival."

The mistress of the Tolstoy household approached us with hurried steps. As the mother and daughter—both boasting dazzling beauty and blonde hair as rich as honey—bowed their heads, Ivan, the highest-ranking person in the gathering, introduced them to me.

"This is Lady Tolstoy and Emma Evgenievna Tolstoy. Miss Emma is the eldest daughter of the Tolstoy family and turns seventeen this year. She is the host of today's poetry reading."

Emma, a lady slightly shorter than Ivan's shoulder with a posture that didn't possess a single unnecessary movement, blushed and gave a slight curtsy.

"Oh my, Princess Larisa. I had no idea you would attend this poetry reading. It is an infinite honor to meet you."

I lifted my chin, maintaining the dignity of a superior and the grace of a princess, and recited the words I had memorized.

"It is a pleasure to meet you. You are as pure and beautiful as a lily, just as I had heard. I have often heard praise about Miss Emma Tolstoy from my brother Ivan. He says your voice when reciting poetry is like that of a nightingale. I am truly looking forward to today's gathering. This is my first poetry reading, so I expect to learn much from Miss Emma Tolstoy and the other ladies and gentlemen here."

"You flatter me too much, Your Highness. Had I known the Princess would attend, I would have practiced even harder... My heart is already racing!"

It wasn't a joke; the Emma before me truly looked like she was dying of nervousness. I wondered why she was so shaken when she was merely accompanied by a thirteen-year-old. Ivan whispered to me.

"Try acting like a thirteen-year-old for once."

"And let myself be looked down upon?"

When a child acts sophisticated and pretends to be an adult, they usually become a laughingstock. However, I was confident I wouldn't be mocked. Why? Because I am smart. Only by not becoming a joke could I avoid bringing shame to the reputations of Tatyana and Vasily.

"Come this way, Lara. I shall introduce you to everyone in turn."

Including Ivan and myself, there were fifteen people invited to the poetry reading. The ages and genders varied, from young ladies accompanied by guardians because they had not yet had their coming-of-age ceremonies to Emma's uncle. Among them, the young noblemen around the age of majority seemed particularly close to Ivan, which was a rather fresh sight for me. So Ivan was capable of smiling that comfortably.

But...

"Where is Valentin? Has he not arrived yet?"

"Probably not. He should be here soon."

No sooner had the words left his mouth than a servant announced the arrival of a guest. Slow footsteps echoed, and the sixteenth guest entered the reception room.

Possessing a beauty as brilliant as that of the host, the man entered, lightly shaking his silver hair as he looked around. His expression, which seemed indifferent as if everything in the world were a chore, only regained some life when Countess Tolstoy and Emma approached him. He was likely the only person in all of Ohala who could look like he had lived through a thousand lifetimes while being only seventeen.

"Valentin."

"Ah, Your Highness Ivan. I actually had something to tell you..."

The practiced exchange of pleasantries between Ivan and Valentin came to an abrupt halt the moment Valentin spotted me. Valentin responded to me with a sudden, unnaturally long silence. Then, with a nod that felt like a sigh, he offered his first greeting in half a month.

"It has been half a month, Your Highness."

"Why do you keep rejecting my invitations?"

I admit, that was a bit too blunt. But it was half-intentional. All eyes in the room shifted toward us. Sensing the moment, I pressed the silent Valentin with an attack.

"I asked why you keep rejecting my invitations. I invited you nine times in half a month. I heard you weren't even planning to attend today's reading? The invitations were sent two weeks ago, but you suddenly confirmed your attendance three days ago, didn't you?"

I enjoyed seeing Valentin flustered. However, since I couldn't cause too much trouble for the host of the gathering, I hurried over to Emma, took her hand, and pleaded.

"Ah, Miss Emma. Just in case, I want to let you know that I didn't attend this poetry reading because I had business with this man. I simply followed along shamelessly because I wanted to hear your elegant poetry recitation, and I happened to run into him. Please do not misunderstand."

"Oh! My goodness, you called me Emma... I am so happy you called me Emma. Please, make yourself at home."

Emma held my hand back with a shy expression. Well, I'm grateful she understood, but she has a rather peculiar personality.

Having received Emma's permission, I returned to my original spot before Valentin could escape. He was looking far off, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Answer me, Valentin. You kept rejecting my invitations and pretending not to hear me a week ago, and eight days ago. What is the reason?"

"That is because I..."

"No! I'll say it instead! The answer is obvious. It's because I'm a nuisance, right?"

What was with that expression? His vacant gaze, like an alpaca chewing grass, somehow felt as if he were mocking my judgment. Was that not it? If not, what other reason could he have to avoid me?

"Or... could it be that you don't trust me? Is it because of the conversation we had back then? Because Vasily expl—!"

Valentin's left eyebrow twitched. I paused for a moment, then opened my lips again.

"Vasily expl—"

His left eyebrow twitched again.

"Vasily expl—"

Twitch.

"—oded."

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!