
“White is definitely best for the lace. There is no color more optimal than white to emphasize our Lara's lovely pale purple eyes. Lara, once you come of age, you must wear pearl earrings first thing. They will suit you so well it wouldn't be strange if my heart burst.”
Watching the gloves being changed yet again, I stood up and walked to the window. In the distance, the main gate of the Imperial Palace was a chaotic swarm of carriages lined up in a long queue.
Handsome horses, coachmen, attendants opening doors, women with nervous faces dressed in white as lilies, and noblewomen standing beside them whispering to one another. It seemed as though every prominent flower of the Empire had gathered here.
However, this year's social season was a special time not only for them but for us as well. This was the year Vasily, the eldest of my siblings, would be the first among us to come of age.
The social debut of the eldest son and daughter is one of the most important events for a household. This is because only if they finish their first season successfully—or at least without being swept up in rumors—will it have a positive influence on their younger siblings.
“Vasily has probably already gone to Father, right?”
Tatyana, who had been examining the gloves with a meticulous eye, kissed my cheek.
“Probably? This is Father's first official public appearance since falling from his horse. He'll be even more worried. Vasily might be enduring a long stream of nagging right now.”
She soon stretched her neck to look out the window, just as I had.
“Don't you think there are exceptionally beautiful young ladies this year?”
“It's probably because of Vasily. Mother said it, didn't she? That quite a few women postponed their debuts specifically to enter society the year Vasily comes of age.”
Instead of a verbal confirmation, Tatyana met my eyes and smiled slowly. I asked her in a tone that suggested I couldn't understand it at all.
“But Vasily is bound to enter an arranged marriage. Even if they didn't tell us, hasn't the partner likely been decided? What's the point of trying to look good for a man like that? It's not as if marriages between nobles and the Imperial family happen easily.”
“But the story changes if such a man is polished both in appearance and substance, and happens to be the Crown Prince.”
Tatyana wrapped her arm around my shoulder and spoke while watching the women stepping out of their carriages and entering the Imperial Palace.
“Besides, they aren't only looking at Vasily. Rather, Vasily is... as you said, a tree far too difficult to climb. It's safe to say the real target is someone else.”
“The real target? Is there a man more wonderful than Vasily in the Empire? No way.”
“Have you forgotten already? The man you were so desperate to become friends with.”
...Ah.
“Valentin.”
“Yes, that man.”
I remembered now.
Since Valentin was the same age as Vasily, he too was at the age to hold his coming-of-age ceremony this year. Indeed, since Vasily, the Crown Prince, was more likely to marry a foreign princess, Valentin would seem like a more tempting fruit to the daughters of the nobility.
“He spent as much time wandering abroad as he did staying in Ohala. Even when he returned to the country, he spent most of his days shut away in the castle. He was busy caring for his second son, whose illness grew worse by the day.”
I asked back with surprised eyes.
“Valentin has a younger brother?”
“Yes, though he has closed his eyes now.”
Seeing her face answer so nonchalantly gave me a strange feeling.
Come to think of it, I knew almost nothing about Valentin. At most, which country he received his title from and how indifferent and foul his personality was—that was the extent of the information I possessed.
“He lost his biological mother very early on as well. He is a man who grew up quite upright despite such a family environment. I believe he kept in touch with his mother quite regularly. Furthermore, while a tragic family history is an unfortunate coincidence for him, it could be considered good news for the noblewomen who view him as a candidate for their daughter's husband, couldn't it? It means that if the connection is made well, their daughter can live like a princess for the rest of her life. Of course, Valentin wouldn't choose the daughter of a woman who only considers such ulterior motives.”
Even so, he already has a betrothed named Emma. Contrary to Tatyana's expectations, it seemed this year's social season would pass quite quietly.
“That's high praise. I thought Tanya hated Valentin.”
“Fufu. Well, if I had to be precise, I suppose I'm closer to hating him? Men who are difficult to handle are not my style.”
I let Tatyana's lecture on 'How to Choose an Easy Man to Handle' go in one ear and out the other as I counted the number of ladies who had just debuted into society. One, two, three, four... twenty... eighty... one hundred...
My goodness, I've counted a hundred and there's still no end in sight!
“This is ridiculous. I have to receive greetings from over a hundred people in a single day? Tanya, Mother is definitely going to faint!”
“Neither Mother nor I will faint. Contrary to your worries, nothing in this world is impossible.”
“I'm going back the moment it exceeds fifty. It'll be better than becoming a laughingstock for nodding off.”
“Do as you wish. Now, let's go.”
I took Tatyana's hand and left the room. Before the guests set foot inside the Imperial Palace, we had to move to the audience chamber and be seated in our places. In the audience chamber we arrived at, Mother and her ladies-in-waiting were engaged in various conversations. They were likely discussing which woman they were most looking forward to seeing.
“How lovely my daughters are. It is a pity for the ladies debuting in society this year. For the daughters sitting beside me will shine even brighter.”
“I think so too. Mother and I are exactly of one mind.”
Tatyana agreed nonchalantly and sat to the right of the Empress's seat with her back straight. As Mother nodded silently, the Chamberlain relayed the preparations to the attendants. Soon, those wide golden doors in front would open, and the women lined up would step onto the red carpet one by one and stand before us.
And perhaps, somewhere in this bustling Imperial Palace, Valentin would be standing as well. Or perhaps he was already in an audience with Father.
“Begin.”
“Yes.”
Taking a deep breath, the Chamberlain called out the first name in a booming voice.
“The Duchess of Iljin, Alexandra Andreyevna Iljin, and Miss Therese Alexandrovna Iljin of the House of Iljin.”
A woman with a pure white train trailing long behind her entered with steady steps.
The eldest daughter of the House of Iljin, her blonde hair neatly swept up and wearing small pearl earrings, was as beautiful as the Duchess standing beside her to assist with the greetings. In the eyes glimpsed beneath her slowly bowing head, there was a hint of pride in being the first in order.
The order in which names are called is usually the same as the order of arrival at the Imperial Palace, but the first four women called are a bit different.
These were those born into the most distinguished families among the daughters debuting in society that year, and they held the privilege of standing before the Empress first, bypassing the women who had arrived earlier. Consequently, they were bound to remain the longest in the Empress's memory.
“Ouch!”
Especially if they were someone who tripped over their own feet and fell.
.jpg)