WYL 25

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
“That is all.”

It was a concise conclusion.

A long, heavy silence settled over the dining table. The gazes of those present wandered between my father, my mother, and me. Everyone likely considered the prophecies to be straightforward—until it reached my turn.

Clink. My father slowly set down his wine glass and questioned Valentin.

“Count Valentin. Why was Larisa’s prophecy delivered privately?”

“It was the only way to ensure the prophecy for Her Imperial Highness was completed.”

Valentin and I locked eyes.

One thing became certain. My father does not know my future.

I looked for Vasily. He was already staring at me, but his expression was by no means pleasant to behold. Vasily’s mask looked as if it had partially cracked, and thanks to that, I could be certain of one more thing. Vasily had not been told of the current situation in advance, and he likely did not know the future that awaited me.

In an instant, a wave of relief crashed over my heart, drowning out all doubts and tension.

‘Ah… thank goodness.’

To think I could feel this relieved simply because my family did not know of my death. However, there was someone who had been scrutinizing my face and spoke up in a sharp tone; it was Tatyana, sitting right beside me.

“I’m sorry to throw cold water on your confident demeanor, but I cannot tolerate this, Count.”

Tatyana, holding my hand, spoke with a pointed, beaming smile.

“No matter what prophecy that man told you—tell your sister everything, Lara.”

“Tanya.”

Mother scolded Tatyana. For the first time in years, Tatyana showed an emotional defiance in front of Mother.

“Why? Larisa is barely over ten years old. Do you know what kind of nonsense that rogue might have sputtered?”

I wasn't barely over ten, but still.

Thanks to her, before I could even indulge in the sentiment of being terminally ill, I found myself in the middle of a fierce family argument.

“Watch your tongue, Tanya. You know how many people are present. The prophecy can wait until later…”

“No matter how many people are here. If someone teaches my sister the meaning of vulgar slurs like ‘bastard,’ and he isn't a rogue, then what is he? Should we call him ‘Teacher,’ Ivan?”

Roughly brushing aside even Ivan’s attempts to persuade her, Tatyana looked at me again.

“Lara, we are your guardians. We have a duty to protect you from everything that threatens you, or could potentially threaten you. To be honest, the fact that he left only you—the youngest person here—with a prophecy that couldn't be disclosed to everyone is extremely unsettling. Enough to shatter the sliver of trust I had in Count Valentin.”

I know very well how to behave in times like these.

“Tell your sister. What prophecy did the prophet of gabhilism leave for you?”

I reached back into an old memory.

The day blood flowed like a stream across the carpet.

The face of the man standing there with a sword, devoid of any guilt.

It hadn't been the first time such a disaster occurred. Vasily had already betrayed our promise—to ‘punish and discipline, but not shed blood’—three times. The third time, in particular, had a significant aftermath.

Because Vasily had killed a person directly, without hesitation, right in front of me and Ivan.

[I can no longer tolerate such madness from you, Brother! Do people look like mere beasts in your eyes? To behead someone simply because they stuttered in your presence—do you feel no guilt at all!]

The memory of that moment was still vivid in my mind.

Ivan had been screaming, shielding the bleeding, collapsed servant from my sight. Vasily, without letting go of the sword, stared silently at Ivan’s face.

[If you become the Emperor of Ohala, only red blood made of corpses will flow in the rivers of the Empire. I will never… a blood-crazed maniac like you…!]

At the commotion, which was loud enough to echo through the Imperial Palace, the Chamberlain and Mother rushed into the room. Mother, staring at the floor with a pale face, commanded the Chamberlain.

[Close the door and bring His Majesty the Emperor. No one must know of this.]

[Yes.]

Father arrived in less than five minutes, pushing the door open roughly. Looking at the corpse and Vasily without a word, Father spoke his first words in a voice so cold it made my teeth ache.

[Vasily, explain this yourself. It had better be an explanation I find convincing.]

At that moment, my mind was filled with only one thought.

I have to protect Vasily. He is my brother. I have to help him.

[Speak, Vasily.]

Without anyone noticing, I raised my hand and dug my nails into the back of my neck. Deeply and quickly. Then, I slowly opened my mouth.

[Vasily!]

[…The servant.]

I swallowed hard, feeling the sharp gazes focused on me. Then, I told a great lie that I would never tell again in my life.

[The servant strangled me.]

[What?]

[The servant strangled me and tried to kill me. Fortunately, Vasily and Ivan found me… they killed the servant to save me… Vasily did nothing wrong.]

[My goodness! Lara, show me your neck, quickly!]

After confirming the small nail marks on my neck, Father hugged me, saying he was glad nothing had happened. Over his shoulder, my eyes met Vasily’s. He was looking at me with eyes devoid of any emotion.

Why did you kill the servant?

Was it because you’re crazy, after all? Are you truly insane?

My tongue itched to ask, but in the end, I could not bring myself to say it. That day, a fierce storm swept through the Imperial Palace. Under the imperial decree to weed out spies, a massive identity screening was conducted.

I do not know what the results were. There was no way such secret internal imperial affairs would reach the ears of a ten-year-old.

Fortunately, Vasily did not kill anyone after that day.

Instead, he wore a very excellent mask. A mask that made him ‘look’ like an ordinary person. Had he reflected on his ruthless slaughter? The probability of that was significantly low.

Ivan remained silent about my lie. Probably, to this day. Though I couldn't be certain, I believed it was for a reason not far removed from my own judgment—the desire to protect the family.

From that day on, very slowly, Ivan and I grew apart. I couldn't bring myself to ask Ivan if it was because of Vasily. I was afraid of bringing up the events of that day again.

‘I… know how to protect the family I love.’

Truth is not the only thing that can protect us.

Sometimes, it is necessary to take a detour.

Three truths and one lie. The important thing is not to fear the possibility of losing the trust of those you love.

“Thank you, Tanya. But it’s okay. You don’t have to scold Count Valentin too much. He was simply trying to protect my honor.”

“Honor?”

“Yes. The prophecy I received is similar to Ivan’s. I will make a great mistake in the future, and it will be a mistake that brings great dishonor to both me and the Imperial Family. As for what the mistake is… well. I’ll tell you later, not now.”

“Is that the truth?”

I nodded with a face that looked as if there was plenty of room for doubt.

However, Tatyana was among the most perceptive people I knew. Sure enough, far from withdrawing her suspicious gaze, Tatyana’s voice rose for the first time in a long while.

“Lara! Can you swear that there isn't a single lie in your words—!”

“That is enough.”

It was a firm voice. Tatyana shut her mouth, inhaled sharply, and looked back at Father.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!