
I draped a small, dark red cloak over the wide-legged cream-colored fabric and finished the dressing by attaching a ribbon of the same color. Checking in the mirror, the novice's robes looked almost like a choir uniform.
Just as I was about to leave the dressing room, I stopped in front of a few newspapers laid neatly on the drawer next to the door. To think they had newspapers here. This space seemed to serve as both a dressing room and a lounge. However, the headline of the first newspaper I saw was...
<Why was the youngest princess's prophecy the only one kept private?>
I grabbed the paper and read the article without hesitation.
The point of the article was simple: Valentin, who always gave public prophecies regardless of the circumstances, had given me a private prophecy for the first time in history. Below that was a long list of articles speculating on the reasons why it had been conducted privately.
Speculations ranged from it being a prophecy so terrible that it was hidden for the sake of my honor, to it being a prophecy related to Valentin himself, and even that it was mere showmanship conscious of external eyes. There was even a claim used as justification for these theories stating, "Rumors are circulating that Princess Larisa is head over heels for Count Valentin and is chasing after him."
"Even such trivial nonsense is making it into the news?"
Should I be grateful that they disguised the truth as a rumor?
When I tossed the newspaper aside and stepped out, a priestess approached and guided me down the corridor. Pointing to the doors lined up along the wall, she said,
"These are all individual prayer rooms. For spaces where prayer is currently taking place, a nameplate with an owl drawn on it is hung on the doorknob. Do you know why it's an owl?"
"Because owls and lambs are animals loved by God?"
"Excellent."
After that, I went on what was truly a tour.
The priests' dormitory, the dining hall, the library where they spent their leisure time, the office where believers' donations were organized and distributed... To me, who had only seen the central prayer hall, the priests' quarters—exuding a frugal yet elegant atmosphere—felt quite novel.
'How can anyone live their entire life in such a small, shabby place?'
And while doing nothing but praying?
The only entertainment here was books and puzzles like chess. I was so fascinated that I completely forgot I was visiting under a disguise because of Valentin.
"This is the third floor. The third floor consists of the history museum, the holy relic storage, the large apostle's prayer room, and the Bishop's living quarters."
After touring the Makhachkala holy hall history museum—which had about as much fun as a pile of dung—I stepped out and pointed to a pair of large doors nearby.
"Where is that?"
Maria answered with an expression that seemed somehow proud.
"That is the large apostle's prayer room. It is a room primarily used by priests with deep faith."
"There's an owl wooden plaque hanging there."
"Yes, that is precisely where His Eminence Valentin offers his blessing prayers. He has been praying there for over 72 hours already. He is truly a remarkable man."
Aha. So that's why she had that triumphant look. She's basically saying, "This holy hall possesses Valentin," right? I pretended to be impressed while staring at the door of the large apostle's prayer room and said to Maria,
"Since I've visited such a sacred space, I feel like offering a prayer myself. My brother Vasily had his coming-of-age ceremony this year. I want to offer a prayer for him."
"I have prepared for that."
With a smile that was devout yet, in some ways, meaningful, Maria led me. To another individual apostle's prayer room located in the opposite direction of the large apostle's prayer room.
"This is the prayer room used by the Bishop. Please finish your prayer here within an hour and come to the history museum. I will be waiting for you there."
To think that I, who am merely a believer regardless of being royalty, would set foot in a space permitted only to priests. It was a privilege with no reason to refuse. I made eye contact with Maria as I opened the door to the prayer room.
"Did you say your name was Priest Maria? I will make sure to remember your name and tell my brother."
"I am honored."
*Click.* The door closed.
There was no need to ask why she was granting me such a privilege in the first place. Because it was a privilege planned from the start.
On the evening the tour schedule was decided, I had visited Vasily and made a request I had never made before.
[Vasily, how much donation will I have to give to the holy hall for this tour?]
Even if they didn't show it, the holy hall's permission for my tour was likely due to Parben's request, but also because of the high expectations for the "price."
[You don't need to worry about such things, Lara. As for the donation, I already received Father's permission and sent it to the holy hall through Bishop Parben. You can just enjoy the tour comfortably.]
[So, how much was it?]
[200 gold.]
[Do me a favor. I want to increase the donation to 300 gold.]
Considering that a maid's annual salary is usually 10 gold, 200 gold was by no means a small amount. But what I needed was 300 gold. Only then did Vasily put down his fountain pen, straighten his back, and look at me properly.
[This is the first time you've made such a request, Lara. There must be a proper reason, right?]
[I want to offer a prayer in the apostle's prayer room. For about an hour.]
[The apostle's prayer room is accessible only to priests. It is not a space permitted to us.]
[But I absolutely must offer a prayer. Not anywhere else, but in the holy hall of Makhachkala.]
[...Is that truly the only reason?]
[Yes.]
I nodded firmly.
[There is no other reason.]
Vasily, who had been staring intently into my eyes, eventually accepted the request. I jumped up and down in front of Vasily before returning gracefully to my bedroom.
There was no need to let Parben know that I was extremely worldly. The reason he cherished me was not just because I was his disciple, but because I treated the study of theology with pure interest.
After entering the prayer room, I lay down with my legs stretched out in the spot where the Bishop usually sat, and after about ten minutes had passed, I quietly stepped outside.
Now it was time to use the value of that 300 gold.
It was time to go meet Valentin.
It felt awkward to brag in this situation, but I was a master of hiding and escaping. My "silent walking" skill, honed over thirteen years in the Imperial Palace, shone even in the holy hall just before sunrise.
I took off my shoes, clutched the hem of my priestly robes in my arms, and ran quickly toward the large apostle's prayer room. There was no escape easier than passing by the history museum.
*Creeeeeak.*
I couldn't hide the creaking sound of the old wooden door, but I managed to mitigate it by opening the door very, very slowly. I squeezed my small body into the prayer room and closed the door silently once more. After letting out a sigh of relief, I turned around, calming my racing heart.
This place felt like a miniature version of the central prayer hall.
It was so dark all around that I had to rely on a single candle placed on the podium for vision. Five-colored stained glass, evoking the dimness of dawn, surrounded me overhead, and a red carpet extending from the door stretched long enough to reach the bottom of the podium.
Valentin, dressed in snow-white priestly robes, was kneeling right in front of it.
.jpg)