WYL 67

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
A profane priest who is Count Nariyan, Baron Mahichkala, and also Viscount Salezar. Without a doubt, this description referred to Valentin, did it not?

Valentin's blessing prayer.

That prayer surely referred to the blessing prayer he offered in Makhachkala just before he left to study abroad. I could never forget that day, for it was when I had asked him the meaning of the prophecy he had secretly whispered into my ear.

And if there was a food Valentin had secretly snacked on back then...

‘Dried raspberries.’

But how did this man know that?

Priests must fast during the period of offering a blessing prayer. The fact that the noble prophet had broken that law to devour dried raspberries was a secret known only to me and Valentin in this world.

‘Then, could it be that this man is... with Valentin...?’

The terror incident that occurred just a few weeks ago at Duchess Illyn's ball came to mind. I felt that this current moment might be a similar situation to that day.

After a brief deliberation, I answered in a murmur.

“Dried... raspberries.”

“Oho. Correct!”

As soon as the answer left my lips, Vasily swiftly pulled out the shotgun from beneath the seat. At this, the man let out a gasp of "Oops!" and raised his voice.

“Whoa, wait! You can't shoot me! Ha, you didn't answer, so I thought you'd kicked the bucket. My heart almost jumped out of my chest!”

“....”

“Since it's a professional secret, I can't show my face, and if something happens to you, my boss will be furious with me... ahem.”

“....”

“You're certainly tight-lipped, just as expected of royalty. Now then... shall we go? I'll take you straight to the Imperial Palace. I know how to drive a carriage. Ah! Of course, we'll protect you on the way, so rest assured. Haha, any fearless bastards who point a gun at us will go bang! Haha! Shot dead on the spot!”

Only then did Vasily's stiff shoulders slowly relax. Seeing his vigilance noticeably subside, it seemed he had caught a glimpse of the man's identity.

Feeling my back had become damp with sweat, I leaned on Vasily's support and settled into the seat.

‘Haaa.’

I feel like throwing up.

I truly felt as if half of my lifespan had been shaved away.

At the same time, I felt an infinite mix of trust and doubt toward Valentin.

‘Where in the world is there such a coincidence?’

What on earth has that man been doing to be able to protect me even in such an unexpected moment?

No. Rather, why do these things keep happening to me?

Vasily, who had been blinking silently with his arms crossed, muttered to himself.

“I see you're from the Horgan Unit.”

“Yeees... that's right.”

The man chuckled and skillfully drove the carriage.

“Ah! Come to think of it, I haven't confirmed whether His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince is alive or dead? Haha. My apologies, our boss prioritizes the survival of the ladies, so I unconsciously...”

Boss?

“Listen. Is that 'boss' you mentioned the profane priest who secretly ate dried raspberries during a blessing prayer?”

At my question, the chatty voice went silent instantly.

Did he not hear me, or was he intentionally ignoring me? My chest felt tight, but I did not press the question further.

‘Right, well... if it is Valentin, there must be a proper reason why he cannot answer.’

I don't know; I'm done for today. Too many things have happened. Along with a headache, my mind and body began to succumb to sudden exhaustion.

I must have been so worn out that even though the Imperial Palace was in an uproar due to the attempted assassination of royalty immediately upon my return, I could do nothing but succumb to drowsiness.

“My goodness, my darlings! To think something so terrible almost happened at this late hour! Oh, Lara... you must have been so frightened that your hair has become such a mess...”

My hair is a mess because I tore at it.

As I breathed silently, buried deep in my mother's embrace, Tanya, who pulled my face out to look at me from different angles, spoke with a noticeably dark expression.

“Lara seems very shaken. She's drooping like a sick bird. Perhaps we should let her sleep for now?”

“What? Let me see... our child's face... yes, that would be best. Rest for now, Lara. It was your first ball today, so you must be even more tired. Talking with Vasily will be enough. Indeed it will.”

Just then, someone called my name from behind.

“Larisa!”

The man who ran up breathlessly and grabbed my shoulders was Ivan. He fumbled over my body with palms that still carried the distinct chill of the outdoors.

“Hey, are you okay? Any holes? Any wounds?”

There were things I wanted to say to Ivan. However, I only gasped like a pet fish, eventually offering only the most obvious answer.

“My limbs and torso are perfectly fine. Though my hair is sticking up like a horned witch... it's better than when I woke up, isn't it? I'm going back to rest. I need sleep right now.”

“Ah... right, your face is a wreck. Go inside and sleep. Don't get lost in other thoughts.”

I walked away, turning my back on Ivan, whose face was clouded with complex emotions. The kind Vasily took my hand and personally escorted me to my room.

“Lara, guards will be stationed in your bedroom for the time being. And it would be best to refrain from going out. I will cancel all official external schedules until the Imperial Ball.”

“....”

“Be aware that various provocative rumors may circulate due to today's incident. Do not lend them an ear, and do not try to find out about them...”

“I saw Ivan on the way back from the banquet.”

He stopped walking and turned back to me.

“He was walking in the opposite direction of us... and he was with men of unknown identity, looking very carefree. Actually, it wasn't just today. On the day I first visited the holy hall four years ago, and on the day I went to find Emma, he would occasionally leave me behind and vanish, only to return later. Whenever I asked where he went, who he met, or what he did, he never answered.”

Furthermore, Ivan had remained nearby during the two days I was under attack by the rebels.

At Duchess Illyn's ball, and again today.

My stomach churned again.

Was I doubting Ivan, or was I worried about him? My mind was too confused to reach a clear answer, but one fact was certain.

“Vasily, is Ivan okay?”

The wish that no unfortunate event would ever happen to my brother, Ivan.

“What if that idiot wanders around like a troublemaker and gets seriously hurt or heartbroken? Looking back at his past behavior, he's certainly capable of causing a huge accident. If I can't provide proper help...”

“Lara.”

Vasily, who had been looking down at me, gave a somewhat bittersweet smile.

“Your heart is always so warm that it makes me feel ashamed of myself. I shall convey those words exactly as they are. I can already see the look of embarrassment on his face.”

“...Is everyone in our family okay?”

“Of course.”

“Uncle Anto too?”

The hand stroking my head stiffened. I tried to discern his thoughts from Vasily's eyes, but unfortunately, I could not find a shred of agitation in him.

“That is impossible. Others aside, Anto Libertan—that man alone can never be okay. Do you not know the reason by now?”

However, despite the low voice, the dormant hostility was crystal clear.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!