LOS 53

Happy
0

LOS 53

“You’re not even on duty, so why do you wear your uniform every day?”

“A soldier must be on standby twenty-four hours a day.”

“Wow, what is that about? That’s terrible. It looks incredibly uncomfortable as it is. Can you even breathe?”

“There hasn't been a single case of respiratory distress caused by the uniform to date.”

“I was joking. Do you not even know that?”

Seeing that she had the leisure to joke, it seemed she had regained some of her strength compared to before. Giles merely responded with a smile.

The melody of a beautiful symphony pierced through the soundproof walls, delivering a sweet tone. After listening quietly to the sound, Anna spoke.

“Thank you. For staying by my side.”

“I only did what I had to do.”

“Do you like me that much?”

It was a sudden question. The answer to give was obvious, but Giles hesitated, unable to open his mouth readily. He was not a man sly enough to answer such questions without hesitation.

The fortunate thing was that Anna understood him.

“Sometimes I feel like you’re quite peculiar. I thought I had to make an effort to be loved. But you’re always there, whether I try or not.”

“I am satisfied with the mere fact that you are by my side.”

“How does it feel when I'm here? Hmm? Tell me.”

Just then, the sound of applause rang out. The orchestra's performance had ended. It was now Anna's turn to leave the waiting room.

“Good luck.”

“You have to answer my question after the concert.”

The door to the waiting room opened. The stage dimmed for a moment and then brightened again. Now, a large grand piano stood in the center of the stage.

Anna gave Giles one last look and walked forward. The hem of her white dress swayed like a wave following her steps.

Having no further reason to stay in the waiting room, Giles opened the door, circled the hallway, and headed toward the audience seating. The sound of applause welcoming the pianist filled the concert hall once more.

He saw the blonde musician sitting at the piano, flanked by the orchestra. Once she signaled that she was ready, the orchestra would soon begin to play.

Giles watched Anna steady her breathing. Of course, his belief that she would complete her performance successfully remained unchanged. Anna was a brilliant pianist. Giles knew this better than anyone.

Suddenly, Giles thought that Anna's body was shaking strangely. He unconsciously furrowed his brow. Was it an optical illusion caused by the lighting? The light flickered over Anna's body, unable to stay still. He couldn't tell if this was intentional or not.

He soon realized that something was wrong. Perhaps on a theater stage, but in a concert hall, the stage lights would not move so distractingly. Giles looked up at the ceiling where the lights were hanging.

It felt as if an invisible wind were blowing.

As Giles pushed haphazardly through the audience, people poured out complaints. But he couldn't stop. His heart was racing. It was a symptom that always appeared when his anxiety reached its peak. Thump! Thump! Thump! Giles passed the people and moved toward the stage.

He shouted.

“Anna!”

Anna, who had just locked eyes with the conductor, whipped her head around toward him.

It happened in that instant. Before he could even realize what was happening, everything was shrouded in darkness. Simultaneously, something crashed with a terrifying roar. The brightly lit stage vanished in an instant.

People were screaming in horror. Some, seized by fear, tried to flee the venue. Giles ran in the exact opposite direction.

Anna, Anna! He shouted her name, but no answer came. He had to check. Was Anna safe? She would be. It made no sense to lose Anna to something like this.

Fortunately, thanks to someone turning on the emergency lights, he was able to see ahead. Giles stepped onto the stage. The stage was empty, as if the orchestra members had already fled.

Only one person remained there.

“Anna...?”

Anna lay collapsed near the shattered lighting equipment. Red blood was slowly spreading around her abdomen, where shards were embedded. Giles froze on the spot. He had witnessed such a sight before.

Red blood against a pure white background.

White snow covering the ground and the bloodstains soaking into it...

He felt as if he were losing his mind. He thought Anna was dead. She was dead. She had died. Just as he had lost his sister, he had now lost Anna. The remnants of the past were telling him so.

Anna was dead.

Just as Celeste had been...

“Anna! Please, please...”

Half-sobbing and wandering, he checked Anna's artery as if in prayer. There was a pulse. But he felt that even that would not last long. The bleeding was already severe.

He didn't even have the leisure to call for help. Giles scooped Anna into his arms and ran. There was no way medical staff would be on standby at the venue. He was the only one who could save Anna.

I can't let the same thing happen.

I can't be robbed of her again.

No more.

Those thoughts completely filled Giles's mind.

-

A familiar man's voice reached her ears.

'Don't die, Anna.'

'Please. Don't die.'

Even while her consciousness was fragmented, Anna answered inwardly. I won't die. If I had wanted to die, I would have returned to the earth years ago. Why are you asking such a foolish question?

I finally made up my mind when my family was desperate to starve me to death. I decided that no matter what, I would not die quietly. Only the passing years would be able to kill me. Even if I had to live my whole life shoved into the mud, I would ultimately choose to live.

The man continued to beg me. Please survive. You mustn't die. Stay by my side. It felt strange. Someone had once showered me with insults and screamed for me to just die, but no one had ever pleaded with me to please stay alive.

I wanted to know who he was. I had to know who this person was, trying to hold onto my life. I had to confirm that this wasn't my delusion.

I struggled to lift one hand, but my body would not obey. My right hand only twitched pitifully.

Then, the man gripped my hand firmly. Relief had finally seeped into his voice.

“Anna.”

Ah, and in that moment, I knew. Who the man before me was. Who the peculiar person wishing for me to live was. I tried to call his name. Giles. Giles Hessen.

I won't die.

So please, don't cry.

At some point, regaining consciousness, I opened my eyes. This time, I could see clearly. Where is this? It was a place I had never seen before, but it was cozy and peaceful.

It seemed someone had spent a long time decorating it. Hoping that the person who would become the master of this place could stay here with peace of mind. The wallpaper, with a cream base and a small floral pattern, was particularly striking. For whom was this space created?

I sat up. More important than that was what I was doing here. I tried to recall my memories. Normally, I should have been doing something. Something important... but what was it?

Suddenly, the image of a piano flashed through my mind. Right, I had an important concert. What happened to the concert? Did I finish it well? That would be good. But why can't I remember anything?

It didn't feel like I had finished the performance properly. To be precise, I couldn't even recall the scene of me playing the piano.

Without even realizing that my abdomen was wrapped tightly in thick bandages, I got out of bed. My body ached in various places, but not to the extent that I couldn't walk. I had to find out what had happened in the meantime. Surely, if I went outside, I would be able to meet someone else.

I grabbed the doorknob and tried to turn it. But the door would not open. Click, click. It only made a series of ominous noises. What is this? Is the door broken? I even tried throwing my body against the door, but it was completely useless.

Someone had clearly locked the door from the outside.

The moment I realized that, a familiar fear that had been dormant within me began to creep up and consume my body. That can't be. It must have been an accident. I tried to reassure myself and shouted.

“Is anyone out there? I think the door is locked!”

There was no answering voice. My breathing became labored and my fingertips began to tremble. Growing anxious, I turned my head in all directions to find another exit. If only there were a window. I ran to where a window should be and pulled back the curtains.

However, what was revealed before me were only boards, meticulously nailed shut.

I'm trapped. I'm trapped. I couldn't understand. Why did this suddenly happen? Is this a nightmare? I pinched my skin frantically and banged my head against the wall, but the more I did, the more the fact that it wasn't a dream became solidified.

Desperate, I clung to the doorknob again. Open it! Open this door! No matter how much I raged, the closed door remained silent. I shouted through tears.

“Help me! Someone, please open this door!”

But no one came.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!