VWB 56

Happy
0
The Villainess Wants to Be Terminally Ill
“Wha— what, how on earth did… No, even if you did, that’s, well, not something you should say to a lady, is it?”

Vic babbled nonsense, completely flustered.

At that moment, Yulan, who had been staring straight ahead the entire time, turned her head toward Vic.

“When did I ever say that woman was a ‘lady’?”

“Huh? No, I mean, I just thought that if the Captain were to meet a woman, she’d likely be a noble lady of high standing! I wasn’t thinking about the lady you met before!”

Vic made a fuss, adding unnecessary explanations.

It was because Yulan’s profoundly sunken mood was simply terrifying.

Naturally, Yulan showed no reaction to Vic’s panic.

She merely shook the empty glass in front of her, exerting a silent pressure.

Glug, glug—

“U-um, Captain. A woman who has someone she loves is not easily swayed. Especially if it’s a love that someone opposes…”

Clink!

“…it’s easy to change! Yes! The moment someone opposes it, doesn't the heart grow cold? Filling that empty void in the meantime is as easy as eating cold soup!”

“Is that so?”

“Yes!”

“Then why hasn't that woman's heart changed?”

At Yulan’s remark, which sounded like a monologue, Vic’s lips pursed.

He simply couldn't bring himself to tell her the reality of the situation.

“Well… if the Captain continues to stay by her side and whisper words of love, the lady will surely realize the Captain's sincerity and change her mind. Yes, absolutely.”

“My sincerity? If she realizes that, she won't change her heart; she'll change her direction and run away.”

“T-that’s why it’s important for her to know how much you love her, yes.”

Even sparks flying from firewood were likely less erratic than Yulan’s mood.

Yulan handed a new glass to Vic, who had been doing nothing but nodding along helplessly.

The moment he leaned down to take it gratefully.

“Vic.”

“Yes…?”

“Exactly when did I say I loved that woman?”

Uh, in every single sentence?

…But he couldn't say that even if his life depended on it.

It was clear that Yulan was quite smitten with that ‘lady,’ but she didn't seem to realize it herself.

Anyone going through a period of love-denial would surely deny whatever was said to them.

Swallowing a sigh along with his drink, Vic gently changed the subject.

“W-well, even if it’s not love. Aren't there always various complex emotions that fluctuate between a man and a woman?”

“…….”

Seeing Yulan’s silence, Vic gradually gained confidence.

“The human heart has many facets, so you can't just say it's this or that all at once. Either way, love is a beautiful emotion, so to simply say it isn't…”

“Love is a beautiful emotion?”

From the start, Yulan’s voice hadn't carried much emotion.

But now, it had gone beyond being emotionless; it had plummeted well below zero.

Vic’s heart sank, and he stammered his reply.

“Huh? Uh, yes.”

“Vic, it seems you’ve never actually seen true love.”

With a scoff, Yulan lifted the whiskey bottle and poured the liquor down her throat, muttering like a drunkard.

“Love is a more terrible and disgusting emotion than anything else. It turns a person into something less than a worm…”

“C-Captain. I think you’re drunk. It would be best to go back to your room and rest.”

A panicked Vic took the whiskey bottle from Yulan’s hand.

Since Yulan had never been like this in her life, Vic couldn't help but be confused.

As Vic looked around, he saw the whiskey bottles scattered beneath the bar stool where Yulan sat.

Because she had emptied them without leaving a single drop, they rolled around without wetting the floor at all.

“Captain, Captain! Wake up! Let’s just go up!”

Having accurately assessed Yulan’s state, Vic asked no more questions.

Instead, he firmly pushed the whiskey bottle far away and easily supported Yulan.

After struggling to drag the staggering Yulan to her room, Vic sighed as he looked at the whiskey bottles scattered everywhere, visible even from the second floor.

“Our Captain is really going through a brutal first love, seriously…”

* * *

A week had passed since the day ‘Yuri’ stormed into the Duke's residence.

Ever since recalling her past life, Yevgenia had been spending each day more intensely than ever before.

The teachers who had been instructing Yevgenia seemed eager to show how much they had been holding back, doing their absolute best in every lecture.

Naturally, the homework they assigned was equally ‘best’ in terms of volume and difficulty, and Yevgenia had to accomplish it all by cutting back on her sleep.

It would be a lie to say it wasn't exhausting, but at the very least, her mind was far more at peace than when she spent her time uselessly chasing after Raymond.

“I feel proud, and refreshed…”

“Pardon? My lady, what did you say?”

“It’s nothing. Are Sena and Sona doing well?”

Bringing up Sena and Sona to change the subject was an excellent choice.

Anna, whose attention had shifted to them, began to pour out a stream of stories.

“Oh goodness, instead of thinking to cherish the gifts the lady gave them, they wear them every single day, so the sleeves and hemlines are already starting to get ragged! The lady bestowed such expensive and beautiful clothes upon them, they should have kept them carefully and worn them on important days…”

“Yes, I see. I’ll have to buy them more clothes next time. They both seem like very energetic children.”

“Because the lady praised them, they actually think they’re energetic and cute! They’re such little devils, they drive me crazy…”

“Yes, yes.”

Listening to Anna’s chatter made Yevgenia feel a warmth in her chest.

Although the content was nothing but complaints about Sena and Sona from start to finish, the affection contained within was obvious.

In truth, if she didn't love those children, she wouldn't remember every single trivial detail like this.

While Yevgenia was quietly listening to Anna’s story with a faint smile.

“By the way, my lady, that…”

“Yes?”

“The person you called your lover… how on earth did…”

Anna’s voice was excessively cautious.

Only then did Yevgenia realize that she hadn't given Anna a sufficient explanation.

Because everything had progressed so quickly and urgently, she had simply assumed Anna would figure it out and move on.

‘There’s no way Anna, who stays by my side all day, wouldn't notice my lie. Even if I had a secret lover, Anna would be the one person who couldn't miss it.’

Yevgenia immediately turned and took Anna’s hand, looking up at her.

Anna’s wide brown eyes looked as if tears might spill over at any moment.

“I’m sorry, Anna. I should have told you in advance.”

“N-no, it’s alright, my lady. I just… I feel like my lady has become too much of an adult in such a short time, and so…”

“What do you mean by that? I need you by my side for the rest of my life. Yuri is… it’s a complicated relationship. I can't explain everything in detail, but at least for now, we are indeed lovers.”

Yevgenia added in a hesitant whisper.

“Someday, after a long time has passed. Then, I will explain everything to you, without leaving out a single detail. I can truly do that for you, Anna.”

“My lady…”

Yevgenia gently patted Anna’s hand.

She wanted to keep comforting Anna just like this, but Anna’s words brought the existence of ‘Yuri’ back to her mind.

She had tried her best to push that man to the back of her thoughts, but because he kept popping up unexpectedly, she had accidentally become an Imperial Princess obsessed with studying.

‘Should I consider this a help or not…?’

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!