
He recalled the memory of chasing after Evelyn, who had been running around like a crazy mudfish not long ago, and the humiliating memory of being dragged out by the Crown Prince's servants.
"That idiot has clearly forgotten everything we told her before the wedding. We told her she just had to do what she was told."
"...So, I'm planning to meet Evelyn in person soon. If I reason with her well, she'll understand."
Augustine nodded.
"Still, she's afraid of Father, so she'll probably listen. Haa, but it seems like she's been visiting Lady lately."
"I heard about that. See? I told you, if you talk to her nicely, she'll understand. She was a bright child when she was sane."
Duke Spelman's eyes gleamed coldly.
As a child, Evelyn was a very bright child. She showed far more outstanding qualities than Augustine, who was born a year apart. She was a genius who could understand ten things from learning one, and she could speak three languages at the age of eight.
Duke Spelman even thought that Evelyn held the future of the family. But the disaster that struck at the age of 10 plunged Evelyn into hell, and Duke Spelman had to revise all the plans he had been making.
'If she doesn't understand, we just have to make her understand.'
Duke Spelman calmly drank his tea.
"So, did you take care of the servant properly? The Crown Prince is a perceptive fellow."
"I made sure he was dead, so there won't be any problems."
"You stay quiet for a while. If you mess things up in a row, you'll get caught. Do you understand?"
Augustine nodded with a dissatisfied look.
Duke Spelman smiled. He recalled the clear, round eyes that had looked at him today. Evelyn, that adorable thing, must have forgotten how she lived in the past because they were apart.
What kind of punishment she would receive if she didn't listen.
* * *
The next day, for some reason, Cerden came to see me in the morning.
"This is not good!"
I pretended to complain about the side dishes, watching Cerden's reaction. He's not one to move without a reason, so what's going on?
Was it the eye contact yesterday that was the problem?
I thought I got away with it.
Cerden, who didn't seem to care about what I was thinking, continued his meal with an elegant posture.
Soon after, Cerden finished his meal and smiled brightly.
"Are you hurting anywhere?"
Scarily affectionate.
"I'm not hurting. Is Cerden hurting?"
I tilted my head.
"No, I'm not hurting. Do you remember Roderick Roger, whom we met a while ago?"
"Woong?"
How could I not remember? The humiliation of that day was still fresh in my mind. He's not a 6-year-old oppa. I barely managed to suppress the trembling of my lips.
Cerden smiled languidly.
"That oppa, don't you remember him? You and Evelyn even played house together."
Ugh. Don't call him oppa!
"I remember."
"That oppa said he wants to play with you again. This time with his younger sister too."
What is he up to?
Even with his younger sister?
Judging from Cerden's expression, it didn't seem like a pure intention at all. What is this dirty feeling? It's like going to the bathroom and not cleaning up properly.
"You don't like it? You liked him that day. If Evelyn says she doesn't like him, that oppa will be very upset."
It was as if Cerden wanted to elicit some kind of reaction from me. Looking at him now, he's observing me.
It seems like his suspicion has deepened.
"I like him, Roderick oppa! Oppa is handsome!"
"……What?"
"Roderick oppa is handsome. He's prettier than my doll! I like pretty oppas!"
Cerden smiled coldly at my words. As if he thought I would fall for it. The first time is difficult, but would the second time be difficult? If I got caught by Cerden, I could be misunderstood as a Spelman spy.
"When are you meeting?"
"Should I tell them to come over?"
"Good! I have to prepare something delicious."
Cerden dabbed at his mouth with a napkin and got up from his seat. Then he glanced at me once and left.
Three days later, the Roger Duchess came to my palace with her children. Cerden was with them too.
A cute three-year-old girl showed off a playhouse set that was much bigger than her.
"Hmph, you don't have this here. So I brought it."
The three-year-old said with clumsy pronunciation. Then she laid out the playhouse set one by one in front of me. It was elaborately made, as if it was made for noble babies. It was pretty with all the glittering things.
The three-year-old baby smiled slyly.
"You don't have this?"
"Ung, I don't have it."
This kid. She brought it to show off. The Roger Duchess stared at us with a flustered face.
I deliberately answered with a sullen face. Cerden's mood has been strange lately, so I needed a trump card, and this was a good opportunity. Children can't resist shiny toys that 'only I don't have'.
I reached out to Cerden. And I puffed out my cheeks and said.
"Husband, buy me this too! I want this too! Ung? Buy it for me! Only I don't have it!"
Cerden chuckled.
And the next day.
I received a more splendid and wonderful playhouse set than the one the three-year-old had. A cute dollhouse was included too.
"……."
He never backs down.
What am I going to use this for?
* * *
The youngest daughter of the Duke Roger family, Ria Roger, grew up receiving all kinds of cuteness. In particular, after retiring and handing over the Duchy to his son, she received a lot of cuteness from the former Duke couple, who lived for the fun of seeing their grandchildren's antics. Until now, Ria had never seen anyone who had something as good as she did.
Ria made her mouth into a square and stared at the dollhouse with wide eyes.
"Woo, wow……."
The three-year-old's round eyes sparkled. The elaborately made dollhouse was the most expensive one that the current artisan was selling, and Cerden had given it to Evelyn as a gift. Evelyn barely swallowed a sigh and stared at the sparkling little girl.
"I, is this unnie's?"
"That's right! It's mine. You, you don't have this, do you?"
I spat out words that I couldn't bring myself to say. I was long past the age to like something like that, and I just felt like Cerden had sent that thing to mess with her.
But Ria seemed to have taken it differently.
Dodododo, dododododo.
Ria circled the dollhouse twice and said to Evelyn with her cheeks puffed out.
"Ri, Ria will buy it too! Grandpa will buy it all for me!"
"Hmph! It won't be as good as mine, though?"
I was really feeling the disappointment doing this with a three-year-old, but there were too many eyes watching now. Evelyn swallowed her tears. She couldn't help it in front of Cerden's languid gaze, which was staring at her intently.
Evelyn puffed out her cheeks and stared at Ria.
Ria turned her head away and glared at the dollhouse. The child's fair cheeks twitched.
'No matter how I look at it, it's cool……!'
That unnie, who has something better than Ria, must be a great person.
"……What else is there besides the dollhouse?"
Ria raised her chin and asked. Evelyn brought all kinds of fairy tale books, dolls, and toys that were displayed in her playroom.
They were things that Cerden had bought and collected.
"Woo, wow……."
Ria swallowed and fiddled with the toys and dolls.
"Ye, you're really great!"
That little kid just used a pretty advanced vocabulary.
.jpg)