
Veronica’s voice was heard. She was also by my side.
“That would be for the best. However, since there are guests, restrict access to this place and clean up later. Send Mother back, Veronica.”
I could see Veronica smiling faintly.
As far as I know, the Emperor hasn't attended official events like this in quite some time. I think I read in the novel that as soon as Cerden came of age, he passed everything on and enjoyed gambling, drinking, and women.
So, only the Empress would often appear at such events, but now she was frozen, staring at this place.
The Empress was suffering from depression due to her husband, and she seemed helpless, perhaps because she was such a fragile person.
Whew, I'm so glad everyone is safe and unharmed.
Cerden continued.
“And control this place and continue the banquet. Can you do that, Veronica?”
“Yes, no problem.”
“Then.”
Cerden nodded and left the banquet hall with me still in his arms. His arms, which were slowly walking as if I wasn't heavy, firmly supported my thighs and buttocks. I had no reason to feel wronged or sad, but why were the tears flowing so much?
The tears slowly stopped.
I was sniffing and trying to figure out when to get down, but Cerden pressed down on my squirming back.
“Stay still, you troublemaker.”
“I, I'm not a troublemaker!”
“Chocolate smell.”
“S-Something was caught on my foot. Evelyn didn't do anything wrong!”
“Yes. Evelyn didn't do anything wrong.”
I don't know why I felt relieved at those quiet words. I leaned against Cerden's shoulder and relaxed a little. Does Cerden know something?
I don't know.
If Cerden were to find out that I'm not an idiot, he would suspect me of being a spy. Anyone would find the circumstances suspicious.
Cerden carried me straight to the Crown Princess's palace. Cherryna and Rosie, having already heard the story from the maids, were waiting for us with pale faces.
Cherryna and Rosie ran up and bowed before us.
“Y-Your Highness, the Crown Prince! We will attend to you!”
“No, it's alright. I told you to prepare hot water, is the water ready?”
“Yes, yes!”
Cerden strode in and placed me down in my bedroom. Then, he pressed down on my messy cheek.
The warmth in his touch seemed to melt away the fear, tension, and tears of today. My heart was pounding pleasantly.
For some reason, it was comforting. The smile he gave me, too. The lamps illuminating the bedroom flickered, shining between us. Cerden met my eyes. He said in an uncharacteristically gentle voice.
“Wash up and check if you're hurt anywhere. You can do that much, right?”
I became embarrassed for no reason, and my voice grew louder.
“Of course! I'm not a child!”
Cerden chuckled and left the room. Cerden's atmosphere seemed strangely subdued today. Even bringing me here like this.
…Since he's doing things he doesn't usually do, I feel uneasy even though he's being kind.
I was biting my nails when Cherryna and Rosie rushed in. Even as I was led to the bathroom by the maids, I couldn't stop thinking about Cerden.
I really want to know what's going on in that head of his.
* * *
Cerden, having changed his clothes, returned to the banquet hall. Fortunately, Veronica had handled it well, and the people were enjoying the banquet as if nothing had happened.
There was a reason for not stopping the banquet and continuing it. There was something to confirm. What was it that Evelyn was trying to achieve so desperately?
That had to be confirmed.
Duke Roger approached Cerden, who was returning with a cold, hardened expression, with a worried look on his face.
“How is Your Highness?”
“She's fine, no injuries.”
“That's a relief. Yulia was very worried as well.”
“…But Young Master Augustine is nowhere to be seen.”
“It seemed like he went back midway, do you perhaps have business with him?”
Cerden shook his head. He could see people glancing at him. Cerden patted Roger on the shoulder as if to comfort him, and whispered in a low voice.
“Draw people's attention. There's something I need to check.”
“Yes, Your Highness.”
Duke Roger nodded without asking for details. Duke Roger and Cerden exchanged glances.
Cerden went to Veronica's side and sat down again. Veronica asked with a worried expression.
“How is Evelyn?”
“She's fine.”
“Wouldn't it be better to stay by her side? You are her husband, after all. She looked for Cerden first earlier, too.”
“She'll be more comfortable without me.”
Veronica stared at Cerden with an incomprehensible expression. In the meantime, the Duke Roger couple drew people's attention.
“I would like to say a word with loyalty to the Imperial Family, who have prepared this event today.”
Cerden naturally checked those who had become the center of the banquet and also confirmed Duke Spelman's location.
'The Duke hasn't left. Is this Augustine's independent action?'
Or perhaps Augustine was acting on Duke Spelman's orders.
'What on earth did they do?'
Cerden narrowed his eyes.
Fortunately, Duke Spelman was also distracted by someone else. Cerden moved naturally towards the scene of the accident earlier. And he found something stuck between the hardened chocolates. He picked it up and naturally put it in his pocket.
Traces remained because Duke Spelman had not yet cleaned up the scene. It was worth returning quickly.
Cerden naturally returned to his seat.
Everything happened at a moment when no one suspected anything.
After the banquet, Cerden confirmed the identity of what was in his pocket. The sweet-smelling thing was a small bomb that had lost its firepower. He could see that the fuse attached to the bomb had burned out halfway.
“Ha.”
It was the moment when suspicion turned into certainty.
Cerden fiddled with the bomb. Spelman probably didn't leave any traces this time either. Augustine's disappearance midway was likely to clean up the mess.
Evelyn, covered in chocolate and with a frightened face, spreading her arms, came to mind. And the warm body temperature that clung to Cerden, too.
The scent of green apples wafting from the chocolate-filled space still seemed to linger. Like a small beast.
The sound of her sniffling and crying was still vivid.
'I didn't do anything wrong!'
Evelyn really didn't do anything wrong. If it hadn't been for her, many people in the banquet hall, especially the Empress, would have been hurt.
'It hurts. It hurts.'
He kept remembering the voice that whined as if to be heard. Cerden ran his hand over his neck. It was where Evelyn's breath and tears had touched.
An unexpected existence kept stimulating him. Cerden let out a languid sigh.
Confusion was faintly present in the hand that covered his forehead.
What should he do with this adorable thing?
* * *
Augustine returned home late. Duke Spelman, who had been waiting for him, called him in. Augustine leaned back on the sofa with a tired face.
He had slipped out of today's celebratory banquet midway and dealt with the servant. Dealing with a servant working in the Imperial Palace was a tricky task after all. Fortunately, he was a servant of the main palace, so he was able to handle it. He had bribed the Emperor's chief of staff and had him process the resignation.
Augustine leaned back on the sofa and fiddled with his fingers.
“What on earth happened today? The Empress returned safe and sound, supported by her maids. I told you that if I'm going to do something, I have to do it properly.”
Augustine shook his head irritably.
“I don't know what's going on. I was outside the whole time. Maybe that stupid servant messed things up.”
Augustine grumbled irritably, saying that he had been made to suffer for nothing, when Duke Spelman said.
“No. The servant would have installed it properly. The problem was Evelyn.”
“Why that idiot?”
“Augustine. Even so, she is the Crown Princess. Watch your words. You must not show such an attitude in front of others.”
Augustine nodded perfunctorily. There was not a bit of sincerity in his attitude. Duke Spelman frowned slightly.
“So what happened?”
“Evelyn was passing by the area when she fell and spilled the chocolate fountain and the drink she was holding in her hand. Thanks to that, the fuse must have gone out.”
“That idiot.”
Augustine gritted his teeth.
.jpg)