
Several assassination guilds, who would do any dirty work for money, were annihilated.
The heads of the guilds were either killed or dragged away somewhere. Since no one has seen them since, it was easy to guess what their end would be.
It was the Crown Prince's doing.
'That crazy bastard.'
It was something only the Crown Prince could do.
Did he think that if he wiped out the assassination guilds, there would be no more assassins? Or was it just a way to vent his anger?
Whatever it was, it only made things more troublesome for Augustine. The assassination guilds became more cunning and hid deeper in the shadows.
Augustine slammed the balcony door shut, agitated.
"Don't take your anger out on innocent things, Augustine."
"Aren't you angry, Father?"
"Did you think you could strike the Crown Prince with such crude methods in the first place?"
Duke Spelman chuckled coldly and closed the ledger he was reading.
A chilling gaze turned to Augustine. It was a smile, but there was no warmth in it, an arrogant look that looked down on Augustine.
Augustine bit his lip.
"If you keep hitting it, even the hardest rock will crack!"
"But Lady and Empress are alive, and the Crown Prince is steadfast. You haven't accomplished anything."
Augustine flared up.
"Then what have you done, Father? You haven't accomplished anything either, have you?"
Duke Spelman let out a heavy breath.
Augustine was frivolous and light.
His patience was short, and he couldn't wait. He had explained that the beast that succeeds in hunting is the one that knows how to wait.
Augustine was impatient.
It was disappointing, even though he had confirmed it several times.
'Would it have been different with Evelyn?'
He didn't know why he kept thinking that. It was clear that regret was causing Duke Spelman to have unnecessary sentiments.
"Wait and see."
Duke Spelman said quietly.
"Lady's birthday is coming soon. The Emperor will not attend, and the Empress will not be able to come either."
Anticipation filled Augustine.
"Unless there are variables, what will happen will surely happen."
"Please explain what's going on. I need to know so I can help."
Duke Spelman stared intently at Augustine. Looking at his gleaming face, he was convinced that he should never reveal the plan. Augustine would ruin his work, not help it.
"You have other things to worry about."
"Yes?"
"There's talk of a marriage with the Marquis Raymond family these days. A marriage proposal that came to you."
Augustine swallowed hard.
Usually, the children of high-ranking nobles are betrothed at a young age and have a ceremony when they reach marriageable age. Unless it's a special case like Evelyn.
But strangely, Augustine had been alone all along. Duke Spelman consoled Augustine with the words, "You're too good for them."
Now, Augustine was finally getting a proper foundation.
Of course, Spelman would be a strong backing for Augustine, but as long as the Duke was standing, Augustine's movements would be restricted.
Duke Spelman was not the kind of person to let go of what he held until he died.
It would be better to put pressure on his father with the backing of his wife's family.
The Marquis Raymond family was a family with a long history of politics. Moreover, their finances were incredibly strong, so it would be helpful to Augustine.
"That's a good match."
"It's a match you don't want to miss. The eldest daughter is fit to be the heir, so it would be difficult for her to be your partner, but the second daughter is not. I heard that her betrothed died of pneumonia recently."
Augustine had heard about the second daughter. He never thought that the second daughter of Marquis Raymond would be his share.
Spelman glanced at Augustine, who looked pleased.
'If you want something, you have to know how to get it.'
He had been thinking about bringing in the second daughter of the Marquis Raymond family for a long time. So, he just removed the obstacle that was in the way.
Augustine, unaware of Duke Spelman's thoughts, just kept smiling.
"I like it."
"So, you need to focus on that. I've scheduled your first meeting for this weekend. Can you do well?"
"Trust me, Father!"
Augustine shouted.
No one in this empire rejected Spelman's children. There were more than a few eyes following Augustine around whenever he attended social gatherings.
This would be an opportunity for Augustine.
'Just you wait, Father. You'll be the one who gives me wings.'
* * *
The tug-of-war with Cerden had continued endlessly for the past month. Cerden still made me nervous, and the threats to the Imperial Family were constant.
I kept catching suspicious people under the guise of hide-and-seek.
'What are you guys doing? Are you having fun without me!'
'W-What are you talking about, Your Highness! It's absolutely not like that!'
'Husband! Cerden, husband!'
Catching servants who were communicating with spies outside.
That was quite fun. I walked around in the early morning without anyone knowing, and they thought I was a ghost. I told you not to do anything that would make you feel guilty, right?
'Wow, what's in this carriage?'
'……Ordinary ingredients. Fresh seasonal fish came in, so we need to move quickly. Seafood spoils quickly…… Your Highness!'
'What. I'm not stupid! This isn't fish! You lied to me!'
'No, it's not, Your Highness, please…….'
'Husband, Cerden! Where are you!'
Catching smugglers who were secretly bringing in smuggled goods from those who procured groceries from outside.
This was really like catching a mouse by stepping back, but the workers were so clumsy that they stood out.
Anyway, I did a lot of great things.
It was a bit of a difficult process.
After I caught the on-site evidence, Cherryna and Rosie kept a very close watch on me. They looked scared that I would catch something else, but if that's the case, they shouldn't do bad things.
"Ugh, annoying! You're bothering me too much! Get away!"
"W-We're friends, Lady Evelyn."
"That's right! You said friends don't fall apart!"
These guys. They're using what I used to use against me. Do you think I can't do anything if you do that?
For some reason, Cerden forbade me from meeting Empress and Veronica Lady. I didn't have the guts to ask the Crown Prince, so I don't know why.
But I'm comfortable, so it's okay.
Eating cookies against my will is only good once or twice, it's really sickening. Ugh. The thought that I wouldn't have to eat those poisoned cookies for a while made my stomach feel comfortable.
Rozalina was following behind me with a calm face. Unlike Cherryna and Rosie, who were flustered with their parasols.
She still had that look that said, 'I'm different from you.'
She still hasn't come to her senses.
I had already figured out why she was staying by my side.
It seemed like Cerden was her goal. She tried to pretend she wasn't, but every time Cerden came to see me, her face lit up, and I could see right through her.
The desire and naked greed in her eyes.
Anyway, even though their goals were different, all three of them were chasing after me with the determination not to let me go.
"Where are you going, Your Highness! What are you going to do today!"
Rosie shouted in a desperate voice.
There was a reason why they were in such a hurry.
"I'm going to buy a birthday present. It's Ver's birthday!"
How could I miss this opportunity? It's a chance to go outside. It would be really nice if I could just get rid of these three people who are following me around like sausages.
Even if that's impossible, it would be a great opportunity if I could get out of here.
I've been in the Imperial Palace all this time!
So, as soon as I found out it was Veronica's birthday, I ran over. To get permission from Cerden!
I stomped my feet and ran excitedly.
"Are you going to see Your Highness, the Crown Prince?"
"Yeah! I'm going to ask my husband to let me go out!"
"Let's go quickly, Your Highness."
As soon as she heard that I was going to see Cerden, Rozalina had a happy expression on her face. Tsk. Is she that happy without knowing the danger?
Cerden happened to be outside too. He was drinking tea with someone in the garden, so I guess it's okay to interrupt?
I hesitated for a moment, but Cerden's gaze turned to me. I smiled brightly without realizing it.
"Husband!"
I shouted cheerfully.
.jpg)