
“We’ve arrived, Evelyn.”
I had been staring out the window, nostrils flared, but turned my head at her words. Veronica was smiling at me. She certainly had a different impression than Cerden.
Today was the day of the natural history museum visit.
I heard that Veronica was invited as the imperial family's representative on the day of the museum's reopening. And Veronica wanted me to accompany her.
I remembered Rozalina telling me the news, her eyes wide with surprise.
‘……Why me of all people?’
She really can't keep anything to herself. Haa, I felt like I was getting angry more and more these days.
Patience, patience. Someday this will all be over. If it doesn't work out, I'll find a way to chase her away.
Or I could declare our friendship over and beg Cerden... Ah, that's pathetic. Why is this the only option for me?
Anyway, thanks to her, I got to go out again.
The outside air is so refreshing.
I still couldn't have free time because I had a watcher and protector with me, but I was still happy to be out of the imperial palace.
“I don’t know if this will be enough to repay you, but this is a thank you for the birthday present.”
Birthday present? I had chosen tea. I made sure to read the description carefully and chose one with detoxifying properties. It was a tea blended with medicinal herbs, and I remember the scent being nice.
I tried to choose it without Cerden noticing. It seems my efforts paid off. Veronica seemed to be in a good mood too.
“Oong?”
I tilted my head, pretending not to know anything.
“What repayment?”
“It was a gift, Evelyn. The imperial palace is a bit… boring, isn’t it?”
“Yes! It’s boring!”
I quickly agreed. Even if it was to survive, the thought of living like an idiot for the rest of my life made me feel suffocated.
I felt that way even more when I saw Cerden. The emotions I felt, the thoughts I had. I couldn't honestly say any of them.
I wanted to ask Cerden.
What he thought of me, why he looked at me with those eyes. If he knew something.
“So I hope today’s outing is enjoyable for Evelyn.”
“I’m so excited!”
Veronica smiled back. I felt uneasy thinking about Spelman, but there was nothing I could do. I just had to stick close to Veronica.
The entrance to the natural history museum was crowded with people who had come to welcome us.
Among them, a kind-looking old gentleman approached us. He seemed to be the head of the natural history museum.
“I greet the empire’s little moon and Lady. I am honored that Your Ladyship has come to celebrate.”
“It’s been a while, Director.”
“Hello!”
The old gentleman smiled at us. The natural history museum was a little far from the center of the capital, and there was a forest behind it.
And only then did I realize that there was an unexpected attendee.
“It’s been a while, Your Highnesses.”
It was Duke Spelman. Duke Spelman took off his hat and made eye contact with me.
“Have you been well, Your Highness.”
“……Father.”
I smiled as brightly as I could. As if I didn't know anything.
It certainly looked like an ordinary museum, but with his appearance, it felt like a huge cave hiding traps.
Inside, a venomous snake with its head raised was wearing a mask and looking at us. Veronica's face stiffened.
Duke Spelman, unconcerned, held out his hand to me.
“Shall we walk together?”
Like a truly affectionate father.
* * *
“Deploy the knights around Oliver Hall and strengthen security.”
Cerden gave the order in a cold voice. Oliver Hall was where Veronica's birthday party would be held this time. Duke Spelman had thrown it to the Emperor as a favor.
The Emperor, who was eating money and addicted to gambling, accepted Duke Spelman's offer.
“Will it be alright, Your Highness? I think it might be better to overturn it somehow.”
Mortega said worriedly.
“There have been more and more attempts targeting Lady these days. Surely this time too….”
“Why wouldn’t there be.”
Cerden muttered coldly.
Duke Spelman's specialty was setting traps that could never be avoided. But as time passed and the fruit ripened, Cerden was no longer a helpless child.
“We’ll set a trap in reverse.”
Fortunately, Oliver Hall was located within the imperial palace. It was ridiculous that Duke Spelman was exercising his authority over a place only available to the imperial family.
“Fill all the servants entering Oliver Hall with our people. Mix in some knights, too. Small ones.”
“Yes, Your Highness!”
Cerden had a knight order that he led separately.
Since he was young, Cerden had been pushed onto the battlefield by Spelman. When he was young, he didn't have the power to protect himself, and the Emperor didn't protect him.
But that sometimes became an advantage.
At least those who had been with him for a long time had not been touched by Spelman.
His comrades, who had crossed the line between life and death with him, hated Spelman. They were the ones who had been pushed to the edge by Spelman. They were the ones who knew what it was like to be desperate at the edge of a cliff.
“There will definitely be movement. Suspect anyone who approaches Veronica. And follow those who approach Veronica. Never let Veronica out of your sight.”
This was not enough. He needed a card that could distract Spelman even for a moment.
Spelman.
Cerden murmured.
“How about using Your Highness?”
Cerden slowly raised his eyes. A heavy, sunken light swirled within them.
He had seen that look on the battlefield before.
Eyes full of intense desire for something.
The desire to live, the desire to protect someone.
Mortega swallowed.
“Your Highness……?”
At the uneasy call, Cerden smiled brightly.
Why did Evelyn, who had offered him a paltry fruit skewer, come to mind at this moment?
Cerden smiled habitually.
He had never hesitated for a moment. He had been holding his breath and running like crazy every day.
Duke Spelman wanted to kill the young Cedric, but he didn't want to get his hands dirty.
He wouldn't be able to win the hearts of the people that way, and he wouldn't be able to become the Emperor of the empire.
Duke Spelman moved more subtly.
Cerden was constantly driven out, and death stood by his side. Evelyn was the child of that Duke Spelman.
Behind that bright face flowed the blood of Duke Spelman. She was a woman he didn't need to feel pity for.
“I guess so.”
“Yes?”
Cerden moved his lips.
The taste of the sugar he had eaten that day seemed to linger in his mouth.
“Your Highness, the Crown Prince……?”
“Proceed, excluding Evelyn. No one should be put in danger.”
“Then how……?”
“Isn’t it time for the guy locked up in the basement to be of use?”
“There is a risk of escape.”
“It doesn’t matter. We just need to be able to divert his attention for a moment.”
Cerden smiled coldly.
He never thought he would use the head of the assassination guild he had captured in this way.
In the end, no name came out of his mouth. Only the errand boys whose tails had been cut off came out. And they were all dead.
“Give him money and tell him that if he does the job properly, we’ll let him go. And give him more money.”
They were the kind of people who would do anything for money anyway. He had no hesitation in using him.
“Yes, Your Highness.”
Mortega answered quietly. While obeying Cerden, he continued to review the conversation they had just had.
At that moment, Rozalina came to mind.
Mortega bit his lip tightly.
It was clear that a woman who was not fit for the Crown Princess position was bewitching Cerden with an unexpectedly seductive trick.
‘I have to ask Lady Rozalina for help. That woman can’t be allowed.’
Evelyn was poison to Cerden.
A stain on Cerden's perfect future.
Mortega was ready to do anything for Cerden.
.jpg)