EMW 33

Happy
0
I Become The Evil Mastermind Idiot Wife
It was purely by chance that I overheard Duke Spelman's conversation with the director of the Natural History Museum.

No one suspects me, no one considers me a threat. That could be a useful advantage in moments like these.

Veronica seemed to be in a bad mood and went in the opposite direction, and I excused myself under the pretense of needing to use the restroom.

No one suspected me.

Even when I touched things here and there, they lost interest once they confirmed it was me.

That's how I ended up following Duke Spelman.

"...The preparations?"

It was Duke Spelman.

"Everything is ready, Your Grace. You should have no trouble using it."

"Is the width sufficient?"

"A person could easily fit inside. Just as you requested."

"It seems I'll be able to achieve my goal thanks to you. I won't forget this favor."

"Oh, you flatter me. If it weren't for the grace Your Grace bestowed upon me... my son would already be dead. I will never forget this favor until the day I die."

...Figures.

A favor he'll never forget until the day he dies. Duke Spelman truly had a remarkable talent for exploiting people. He was adept at digging into people's weaknesses to get what he wanted.

Violence for me, and money and his family's life for the director.

Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any more details. Tsk, I should have hurried.

Still, what I need to do in the future has become clear. I must never leave Veronica's side.

I heard the sound of people approaching the door. Without panicking, I calmly took a few steps back.

And the moment the door opened, I smiled brightly.

"Papa! I found you! Why are you here?"

I blinked innocently. Duke Spelman replied with a mechanical smile.

"Were you looking for me?"

"Of course! I missed you!"

I spoke pleasant words and grabbed Duke Spelman's arm. At that moment, Evelyn's memories flooded back.

'Not even this much poison will kill her.'

The way Duke Spelman looked at me, writhing in pain from a stomach ache, like I was some kind of insect.

A chill ran down my spine.

I felt like an insect specimen pinned in the center of my body as I trailed after Duke Spelman.

As a submissive daughter.

* * *

Duke Spelman smiled nonchalantly. With a brazen face, he escorted Veronica and Evelyn, introducing them to the Natural History Museum.

"...I didn't know Your Grace was so interested in natural history."

"Lady, you may not know, but Spelman has always been interested in social work. That's why he donated to the museum's expansion."

He was able to come here as a donor. Although he happened to run into Veronica and Evelyn here.

Duke Spelman's narrow eyes gleamed.

'The poison clearly isn't working.'

According to Cherryna and Rosie's occasional reports, Evelyn often met with Veronica.

And Evelyn always brought cookies when she went to see Veronica. For some reason, that sly Cerden kept preventing the two of them from meeting.

Even a small amount should have shown some effect, but she was perfectly fine.

'It's not like Evelyn is the only one with a unique constitution.'

Duke Spelman recalled a past memory. It must have been the days when Evelyn, who had become an idiot due to a fever, was suffering greatly.

For some reason, Evelyn would become deathly ill around the time her mother died.

Duke Spelman had intended to erase the family's shame with his own hands. There was no chance of her regaining her sanity, and he thought it was a good opportunity.

So, he pretended to give her medicine and fed her poison directly.

But no matter how much poison he gave her, Evelyn would only suffer and then get up with a perfectly fine face. He had proven through numerous experiments that she had a constitution that was immune to poison.

'I didn't know it was such a common constitution.'

If that was the case, then it was highly likely that the Empress and Crown Prince also had similar constitutions.

'Poison won't work.'

That meant physical harm was necessary. What Duke Spelman had prepared this time wasn't something as childish as poison.

"Besides, the Natural History Museum is also famous for its beautiful forest, so I thought it was worth investing in."

"...Thanks to Your Grace, the empire's natural history will shine for a long time. I express my gratitude on behalf of the imperial family."

"It's nothing. I was just doing what I had to do."

Duke Spelman replied smoothly. There was no hesitation or awkwardness in his attitude.

His gaze turned to his daughter. Evelyn was gaping as she looked around the museum. Her dazed appearance was quite a sight.

Duke Spelman smirked and turned his head. He had confirmed everything he needed to confirm here today.

And his prey as well.

It seemed like it would be quite fun to hunt.

Duke Spelman spoke to Veronica, whose face was filled with sharp anger.

"Your birthday is coming up soon. Happy birthday in advance, Lady. I've already prepared a nice birthday present."

"...I look forward to it."

Veronica replied coldly. At that moment, no one noticed Evelyn, who was pretending to be engrossed in the sights, glancing at the two of them.

'I'll never let you have your way.'

* * *

Veronica was a kind person. She even apologized for not being able to create a pleasant outing memory, even though she had promised to.

She was one of the few people who treated me as an equal. Surprisingly, Cerden was like that too.

I lay in bed and wiggled my toes.

"Haa."

Frustrating.

I knew something, but I was at a loss as to how to use it. Just sticking close to her that day wasn't enough.

There was definitely something at the Natural History Museum.

'Usable.'

'Width for a person to pass through.'

Should I tell Cerden about this? But how? I wish I could just hire someone to search the museum.

I had searched the museum as much as possible while avoiding the eyes of others, but I couldn't find anything special.

"A person can pass through..."

I kept repeating those words.

"Could it be, they're trying to kidnap her?"

I jumped up from my spot.

Maybe they were trying to kidnap Veronica, no matter the method! Duke Spelman's gaze towards Veronica kept replaying in my mind.

It was the gaze of a hunter targeting its prey.

"How are they going to do it..."

I bit my lip. He wouldn't move directly. He definitely wouldn't.

I paced around the room.

I didn't know who would carry out the plan, but what if I could create confusion?

Veronica and I had similar hair colors. Veronica's was redder, though.

Red hair often appeared among those who inherited the imperial blood. It was a common but highly regarded color.

But our eyes were different. My eyes were emerald, while Veronica's were dark brown.

Would the kidnappers know Veronica's appearance in detail? She was a Lady who didn't go out much. Moreover, perhaps due to Spelman's pressure, the media was reluctant to expose anything about the Lady and the Empress.

There were no visitors to the Lady's palace either.

"If we wear the same decorations and clothes...?"

I jumped up from my spot. I could deceive their eyes. I could take Veronica's place!

No matter what, Duke Spelman wouldn't kill his own daughter, would he?

'Judging by how tenacious her life is, she must have taken after her mother. Leave her alive. Things with unique qualities are useful.'

...He would kill me, wouldn't he?

He'd probably just think I was being stupid again, doing something stupid. It was now only about 5 days until the birthday banquet.

The same clothes, accessories, and shoes.

Time was running out to pester Veronica to get the same things.

It seemed like I would have to visit Veronica's palace tomorrow for the first time in a while.

The thought of eating cookies already made my stomach queasy, but I couldn't just stand by and watch. Even for the sake of peace in my life!

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!