
Cerden's voice was as smooth as velvet, but devoid of emotion. Veronica clenched her fist. She turned and left the office.
Maids and servants chased after Veronica as she ran down the hallway.
Veronica gasped for breath. She stopped, her face pale, and clutched her chest.
Self-loathing washed over her.
Veronica's lips trembled. She had read the faint contempt in Cerden's eyes. She recalled Cerden's words, actions, and gaze over the past while.
His attitude when dealing with Veronica and the Empress.
"……He's struggling."
She realized it only now.
"He's having a hard time."
Her voice sounded strangled.
She finally read his true feelings in his defensive attitude.
She covered her face. She had run to her mother like a child who had been spanked and was crying to her father, knowing nothing.
Asking him to punish Duke Spelman.
"……That's what I did."
While Veronica was complacent and hiding, he had been guarding that fence alone like a wolf.
Veronica squeezed her eyes shut.
It was truly pathetic.
She had thought that if she just stayed still like a mouse, nothing would happen. But that wasn't the case. Cerden had been blocking it.
It felt like her eyes had been opened wide.
Veronica turned to look at the many people following her.
Maids and servants. Spies mixed among them.
Knowing this and still doing nothing was proof that she had done nothing. Veronica turned her pale face forward.
It was time to think fiercely.
If she stayed still even after realizing this, there would be nothing more…… idiotic.
She'd rather die than do that.
Even for Cerden's sake.
* * *
Meanwhile, at Duke Spelman's.
Augustine screamed in the messy room. A maid who had tripped over Augustine's foot crawled on the floor, crying.
"I-I'm sorry, Young Master. I-I was wrong……."
"Damn it, if you make a mistake, you should die!"
"Kyaaak!"
The maid, grabbed by Augustine's collar, cowered. She was a new maid who hadn't been at Spelman long. She had just broken a vase due to nervousness.
No one would save her even if she begged for forgiveness. She should have known from the moment they offered her a high wage, even though she had only been working at Spelman for a week.
"P-Please save me…… I-I was wrong."
The maid mumbled mechanically. The pain that ran through her body made her lose her sense of reality.
The maid clasped her trembling hands together.
Augustine smiled brightly as he looked at her pitiful face, stained with blood and tears.
'Yes, I am Augustine Spelman. There's no way I'd die in that backwater town in the West!'
Duke Spelman also had to acknowledge it. The sacrifice Augustine had made for Spelman!
"After all, I'm the only one my father has. Right? If you throw me away like this now, who will my father have left? A crazy sister?"
"Keuheok! Y-Young Master……."
"Don't you think so too? That I'm the only one who can inherit Spelman!"
Augustine burst into wild laughter.
"I'm the only one in this world who can carry on my father's will!"
"Keuheuk! P-Please……."
Augustine didn't care about the hand that scratched annoyingly at the back of his hand. Blood flowed from the sharp scratches made by the maid's fingernails.
Just as Augustine was about to put more strength into his hand.
"That's enough. Let her go."
Duke Spelman struck the floor with his cane. Augustine reflexively dropped the maid. The maid, who had narrowly escaped death, crawled away.
Maids who had been waiting outside dragged away the maid, who was covered in tears, snot, and blood.
The mournful cries faded away.
"You can't stay quiet for a single day."
"Still, at least I didn't sell out my family."
Augustine retorted sharply. Duke Spelman calmly looked around the room.
"It's a real mess. Listen, Augustine. I saved you and our family."
"You saved me! You said you'd abandon the second daughter of Raymond and give me a bug-like woman as a partner! Who the hell is that woman!"
Augustine screamed. His eyes were bloodshot. Augustine wiggled his fingers.
"You're telling me to be stuck in that awful West! The Crown Prince will kill me if I'm there!"
Duke Spelman clicked his tongue.
"You can only see one thing at a time."
"Father!"
"Who would care if your insignificant bride died in such a barren place?"
Duke Spelman said coldly. He casually crushed the shards of the vase on the floor with his cane. Duke Spelman raised his eyes and smiled brightly.
"Who would care if you killed two or five of those maids?"
"Father……."
"Do you understand what I mean? The Crown Prince isn't the only one who can do things there."
Duke Spelman's low laughter spread across the floor.
"So, it's true that I saved both of you."
Augustine gripped the windowsill.
It felt like he was retreating step by step from the things he had enjoyed and the things he wanted to have in the future.
But he had to admit one thing. The air in the West would also bring him freedom.
So, Duke Spelman was right.
"……You can't abandon me, Father."
"Me, abandon you? What would I rely on if I abandoned you?"
Duke Spelman shook his head.
"There's no need to say such ridiculous things."
Duke Spelman lightly embraced Augustine's shoulders. Duke Spelman's eyes, hidden in the shadows, were coldly sunken.
"You're only leaving for a little while. Just for a little while. During that time, I will prepare a path for you."
Augustine leaned his head on Duke Spelman's shoulder. Augustine breathed heavily.
"Yes, Father. I will behave myself."
Augustine's eyes flashed with a cruel light.
He didn't believe it.
But all he had to do was make sure he couldn't abandon him. There would be countless ways to return.
For example, what if the poor bride could no longer enjoy her honeymoon?
Then the poor groom would be able to return.
* * *
Five days later.
There was no grand wedding, no declaration in front of people. Augustine left as if he were being exiled, and signed the marriage certificate with the woman he saw for the first time right before getting into the carriage.
Duke Spelman saw off his departing son and daughter-in-law.
The woman the Crown Prince had chosen for Augustine was the eldest daughter of a family located about a week west of the center.
Even though they had fallen, there were still quite a few people who remembered the family name.
Eschilde.
It was the choice Duke Spelman had wanted, so there was no room to raise any objections.
Duke Spelman turned around with the marriage certificate in his hand.
Duke Spelman's mourning for his departing son was not long. Duke Spelman got into the carriage and gave an order.
"Let's go to the Natural History Museum."
"Yes, Your Excellency."
It was time to resolve the matter that had kept him awake at night. Duke Spelman approached the Crown Prince's people who were occupying the Natural History Museum.
The person in charge came out.
"Duke Spelman."
"I kept my promise, so I would like to take over the command here."
Duke Spelman held out the marriage certificate with his son's seal on it. The knight, who confirmed it, raised his head with a cold face.
The courteous knight turned around.
"Withdraw from now!"
Duke Spelman smiled brightly as he watched them leave. Duke Spelman's people replaced them in the places they had vacated.
Duke Spelman hurried downstairs. Below the main building, and further down. Duke Spelman entered the data warehouse and struck the floor with his cane.
"I need to check this place."
"Yes, Your Excellency!"
His loyal men cleared the floor. They lifted the planks underneath and opened the huge box inside.
"Hahaha."
Duke Spelman burst into laughter.
.jpg)