
Cerden and I had arrived in Laros, a port city in the west. The briny smell mixed with the gentle breeze greeted us.
It had been a tense journey.
It felt like Cerden and I were trapped in a small box that could hardly be called a private chamber.
Cerden, seemingly immune to motion sickness, skillfully reviewed documents, but all I could do was steal glances at him from behind my book.
They say a man working is sexy. The blue eyes, slightly furrowed as he scanned the documents, were excessively attractive.
'Such gazes are dangerous.'
At those words, I raised the book to cover my face, and Cerden pulled me closer. Then, his lips gently touched mine. His fingers sweetly explored me.
His movements were tender as he caressed me, cautiously seeking permission. It felt like every cell in my body was heating up.
If I had lacked a little more self-control, I might have done something I shouldn't have in the carriage.
But fortunately, Cerden and I were intellectuals and knew when to stop at the right moment.
Actually, though I didn't say it, it was Cerden who was in danger, not me.
Looking at me with those eyes.
Having gained freedom, Cerden became more blatant, especially when we were alone.
Cerden fiddled with the hat I was wearing.
"Tsk. What a waste of time."
He looked around and lowered his voice.
"But meeting Count Chences of Laros is important, isn't it?"
Over the past week, Cerden and I hadn't just been doing... irrational things.
I tried to ignore Cerden's hand caressing my calf as we planned how to eliminate Augustine.
'Count Chences isn't exactly fair. That means he can be swayed to some extent.'
'Just killing Augustine is too wasteful. Duke Spelman will blame Cerden for the whole thing. How about we turn it around instead?'
'Hmm?'
'Augustine might be thinking something similar to Cerden. He might try to kill his wife. What if we wait for that? Or, we could speed it up.'
'If Count Chences helps, faking a body is nothing.'
If a noble died in his jurisdiction, the administrator had to step in.
'Of course, Duke Spelman and Augustine will also try to win over Count Chences. They might have already made moves.'
'We'll need a suitable leash.'
That was why this meeting was important. To bring Laros, a land of plenty blessed by the sea, over to our side.
Cerden listened attentively to my story and agreed with my plan.
The only slight difference was that Cerden wanted to have Count Chences forcibly issue a verdict by assigning someone to him, while I thought we could resolve it in a slightly more moderate way.
Well, what else would you expect from someone who's practically a mastermind? His true nature can't be helped. This world is based on the Middle Ages, after all.
That means a certain degree of barbarism exists.
As soon as we left, the fuse we planted would be lit. Just before arriving in Laros, two of Cerden's knights had left to head to Augustine's place of exile.
Now, all we had to do was play our parts well.
I linked arms with Cerden, who was discontentedly fiddling with my hat.
"Let's go quickly, Cerden."
Cerden sighed and straightened his clothes.
The banquet hall, prepared under the pretext of Count Chences welcoming us, was lit up.
And people were gathering like moths to a flame.
It was the first banquet held on the cruise ship that Cerden and I would be taking.
* * *
Around the same time that Evelyn and Cerden were stepping into the cruise ship's first banquet,
Veronica also opened the doors of her palace and came out. She clutched something in her arms with a stiff face, as if afraid of losing it.
"I'm going to the Crown Prince Palace right now."
"Your Highness, the Crown Prince is currently away."
At those words, Veronica paused.
'...Brother?'
Of course, Cerden had no reason to report his destination. He had never done so before.
The eyes that glared at Veronica, who was complaining, were indifferent.
'What difference does it make if you know where I'm going?'
Veronica bit her lip tightly and sighed. Only she didn't realize that the relationship between siblings was becoming increasingly extreme.
"...Do you know where he went?"
"He went to the Kingdom of Yures."
"Surely not another war..."
"No. He went to the Kingdom of Yures to escort Princess Elizabeth. Princess Elizabeth requested it."
Princess Elizabeth...?
'Great-aunt is coming?'
Veronica wore a puzzled expression. Veronica and Elizabeth had no connection to each other.
They were just aware of each other's existence. So, even if Elizabeth returned, she wouldn't feel anything special.
What was strange was that Cerden had agreed to such a trivial journey.
"...Mother?"
"She is living in the palace."
That meant she wasn't coming out of the palace. She had seen such a scene, so she would obviously be confined for a while.
"Then who is acting as Your Highness, the Crown Prince's proxy right now?"
"I believe Lord Mortega is in charge."
"...Not Duke Roger?"
"No, that's right."
Something must have happened. I know that Julia is taking care of Evelyn.
"...Evelyn?"
"She left with him."
It seems that the relationship between Cerden and Evelyn is gradually getting better. The fact that Evelyn is also gone means that the Crown Princess Palace will be empty.
'But I can't put it off any longer.'
She had mustered her courage to come out. She wanted to do what she had prepared before this courage faded.
"I need to meet Mortega."
"Yes, Your Highness."
Seeing Veronica, who was more determined than ever, the maids wore puzzled expressions. Soon, surrounded by maids as usual, she headed to the Crown Prince Palace.
Mortega, who was acting as proxy, and Dimiter Roger greeted her. The atmosphere between the two seemed subtly tense.
"Lady. It is an honor to see the empire's little moonlight. Have you been well?"
Mortega greeted her coldly. He was someone who resembled his master. Veronica bit her lip tightly at the eyes that were similar to Cerden's.
It was none other than herself who had made herself so powerless. Or perhaps she was just feeling that way. Mortega was the same as usual.
"I came because I have something to discuss, Lord Mortega. I don't know if you have time to talk."
"......Hmm."
Mortega turned his head and stared at Dimiter, who looked uncomfortable.
"Please talk with Lady. I, who have become useless, will step down now."
"Your Highness, the Crown Prince would never have designated me for that purpose, Duke."
"If you say so, then that must be the case."
Dimiter jumped up from his seat. The maids' gazes were focused on him as he roughly left the room.
Mortega cleared his throat and stared at Veronica.
"It seems I have some time now."
"Have everyone around leave. It's a story that must be kept secret."
Mortega nodded. Veronica's maids looked uneasy, but they couldn't refuse the order. When they were finally alone, Veronica looked around anxiously.
Then, she unnecessarily closed the curtains and checked for sounds outside the room.
"Lady...? Your Highness, the Crown Prince's knights are guarding this area. Unless you're prepared to lose your life, no one will be eavesdropping."
"......That's a relief."
Veronica slumped her shoulders.
Veronica placed the white envelope she had been clutching like a lifeline on the desk. Veronica gazed at it with affectionate eyes.
She had pondered for quite some time after hearing Cerden's scolding.
And Veronica had come to the conclusion that this was what she could do right now.
To accuse Duke Spelman of murder.
.jpg)