
That there was still more I could do.
According to the original story, Cerden wasn't destined to die in the near future. But early summer meant it would happen within two months.
I could understand why Princess Elizabeth had specifically called Cerden here.
It was a simple, yet easy way to change the future.
"We'll be returning to the Imperial Palace after the Golden Arrow is over, then."
Princess Elizabeth nodded.
"The reason I met you separately like this is because there's something I want to ask. Do you still want to save Cerden?"
"Yes. I absolutely want to save him."
That was my decision. Cerden wasn't someone who should die like that. Now, I wanted to save him not only for my sake but for Cerden's as well.
What I was curious about now was why Princess Elizabeth was telling me, someone she was meeting for the first time, such a thing.
"Why are you telling me this?"
"...You were there. You were crying as you looked at Cerden. In your hand, you held a sword stained with blood."
I was holding a sword...?
Did that mean I was going to kill Cerden? My head felt like it was about to explode with this new information.
Or was it some kind of hint?
"I wanted to confirm that you weren't an enemy."
Duke Spelman might be trying to use me for something. Was I perhaps falling for Duke Spelman's scheme?
I bit my lip tightly.
No, no.
That couldn't be.
"I was determined to separate you if you were someone who would harm Cerden."
The moment I looked into Princess Elizabeth's eyes, I realized what she wasn't saying.
She would test me over and over again during the time I spent here. And then she would come to a conclusion.
What kind of person I was. If she decided that I was someone who would harm Cerden.
"You were planning to kill me here, weren't you?"
Princess Elizabeth gave a faint smile.
"You're a bright child."
That was the answer. Goosebumps ran all over my body. As Cerden said, Princess Elizabeth was a good person. To him, that is.
I tried my best to remain calm. It wasn't easy to do in front of someone who had considered killing me.
And proving my worth was something I was used to.
"Don't worry, Lady. I'm prepared to kill even my own father if it's to protect Cerden."
"......"
"The blood on my sword will never be Cerden's. I swear on my soul."
Lady chuckled softly. A faint sense of familiarity lingered in her eyes. As if she was satisfied with my answer.
* * *
"What did you talk about?"
Cerden asked nervously. It was a question he blurted out as soon as he followed me into the bedroom.
Cerden's usually relaxed face was flushed red like never before.
"Were you worried about me?"
I asked with a playful voice.
"Of course."
Cerden said with a sigh. Then he said in a softened voice.
"I'm the one who brought you here. You are under my responsibility."
He was saying he would protect me after all.
I was so touched by Cerden that I held his hand tightly. Just as I was trying to protect him, he was also trying to protect me.
I realized once again that many things had changed since I possessed this body.
"We talked about girl stuff."
And I thought that I needed to sharpen my sword. If I was going to point my sword at anyone to protect Cerden as I had promised.
"Don't try to find out."
"......Did my great-aunt..."
Cerden frowned as he chose his words.
"Treat you badly?"
She wasn't exactly kind.
"She was a good person."
Nevertheless, this was true.
"......Haa."
Cerden ran his hand through his hair as if frustrated. I hugged him tightly and then let him go.
"Don't worry too much, Cerden. I think I can get along well with Lady."
Only then did Cerden reluctantly nod.
I was comforting Cerden by lightly kissing his cheek when Cerden's aide came to find him.
I put a candy in my mouth like a child, and Cerden received the report in front of me.
His aide continued the report in a completely unguarded manner.
"...Princess Veronica has accused Duke Spelman of the murder of Tailored."
What?! Veronica!
Veronica wasn't someone who would do that, was she? She had never taken any prominent actions in the original story!
I was so surprised that I almost spat out the candy, but I managed to hold it in, only to accidentally swallow the candy, which was about the size of a 100-won coin.
"Cough! Cough!"
"Evelyn?"
Damn it, seriously... Can't I stop doing embarrassing things now? I want to be a pure and innocent pretty lady for once.
Cerden's and the aide's gazes turned to me at the same time. Cerden gently stroked my back and handed me water.
Why do I always act like this in front of Cerden!
"Are you okay?"
"M-My throat... hurts... Husband..."
Cerden chuckled and stroked my hair. I wiped away the tears that had trickled down as I drank the water.
In the meantime, Cerden's gaze returned to the aide. I also listened to the conversation.
"The chances of winning are low, aren't they? Is there any proper evidence?"
"Mortega says the chances are slim. But Princess Veronica said that if she can keep Duke Spelman tied up with that matter, it would be enough. She said she wants to be of help to Your Highness, the Crown Prince."
Wow...
That's really admirable. Our Veronica even thought of that?
Let's think about it.
Augustine was also in trouble right now. He would be accused of killing his own wife.
It was a truly amazing situation where the Spelman family was being sued for murder at the same time.
It unintentionally put even more pressure on Duke Spelman.
And Cerden seemed to have the same thought as I did. He burst into a refreshing laugh.
"Hoo. I should have seen that screwed-up face. Veronica is helping me for the first time."
"...Your Highness."
"Send an urgent message. Tell Mortega to keep nagging him. Until Duke Spelman offers to hand over Augustine in my stead. He's already calculating it."
"Yes, Your Highness!"
The aide seemed happy to see Cerden so pleased.
The seeds we had sown seemed to be sprouting very nicely.
"Did you introduce Innis to Lady?"
"Yes. Fortunately, she liked her. She even said that her voice was beautiful when she read books."
"I'm glad to hear that. What about the message that Lady Innis is an important hostage?"
"She said she understood."
Everything was proceeding smoothly without any twists.
I think it was a good idea to come on this trip.
I sincerely thought so.
* * *
At that moment, Duke Spelman.
Duke Spelman smoked a cigar with the broken shards of the vase left untouched.
The strong scent of the cigar filled the room. Locus stood in front of him with a nervous expression.
"That stupid bastard is causing accidents every other day."
He was talking about Augustine.
Today, Duke Spelman was on his way back from being questioned. He felt like he was going crazy with anger that was burning his head.
"How is Duchess Roger doing?"
"She seemed reluctant to arrange a meeting with the Supreme Court Justice. She said it would be best to be careful in the current situation."
She's playing it safe.
When only Duke Spelman was sued, she was still proactive, but as soon as Augustine was transferred to the capital, Roger's family backed out.
'I would have done the same.'
Nevertheless, he gnashed his teeth in anger.
"Hurry up with the engagement. There's no problem with that, is there?"
"Yes, Your Excellency."
"What happened to approaching Count Chences?"
He hadn't completely given up on Augustine yet.
"That's..."
Locus sighed.
"Count Chences won't even meet our people. He keeps repeating the same thing like a parrot. 'Young Master Augustine killed his wife.'"
Locus answered nervously.
Duke Spelman gritted his teeth. A curse burst out of him.
.jpg)