
It started with brunch.
We dined in a greenhouse filled with the subtle scent of fruit.
"The King sends his apologies for not being able to attend due to health issues."
"No, I understand that the King is struggling with a chronic illness. So, please don't worry about it. My great-aunt has already explained everything sufficiently."
Cerden replied with ease.
Yures Kingdom was on the verge of a natural succession of power. The Crown Prince, who attended as the King's proxy, was already practically the King.
He likely attended this gathering with all the authority a King could possess.
"Thank you for your understanding, Your Highness, the Crown Prince. I hope you enjoy your stay."
The Crown Prince gently led the atmosphere. The only attendees at the brunch were the Crown Prince and Princess, Cerden and I, and my great-aunt.
It was probably a consideration for us, as we were still recovering from our journey.
The Crown Princess was a quiet person. Her face, which often met my gaze with a gentle smile, seemed kind.
"Your Highness, the Crown Princess, if you have time, would you like to visit the temple with me?"
"Oong? Temple? Do you go to the temple to pray?"
She tilted her head and slurred her pronunciation like a child. I felt my great-aunt's gaze on me.
Fortunately, it was filled with warmth. She was worried about me.
"Yes. Yures Kingdom worships the God of Healing. There is a large temple dedicated to the God of Healing in the capital. The High Priest is also a promising individual. He will surely offer prayers for Your Highness."
Her expression clearly showed that she pitied me. I was surprised by the Crown Princess's kindness towards me.
There weren't many people who were so nice to me from the start.
"Miracles can happen anywhere."
The Crown Princess was sincerely offering me the suggestion. While also being mindful of Cerden's reaction.
"...Actually, it's also famous as a tourist attraction. The architecture is unique and beautiful."
The Crown Prince quickly added.
That was also probably a consideration.
It was as if he was saying that it was a place worth visiting even if I wasn't sick.
They're good people.
Unlike those at the pinnacle of power.
"That sounds fun. Husband, will you go with me?"
"...I'll pass. I'm not particularly interested in such architecture. And I don't tend to believe in gods."
The people gathered chuckled softly at Cerden's words.
It was thanks to Cerden's voice being filled with light playfulness.
A temple where the God of Healing resides.
Perhaps this could be a good excuse. Duke Spelman must fall for us to win.
After that happens, I wouldn't need to act anymore, would I?
I might be able to use the excuse that I received the mercy of the God of Healing in Yures Kingdom.
As I was thinking that, Cerden lightly kissed my forehead.
"May the miracle of God be with you."
I laughed at Cerden's words. I wondered if he might be thinking the same thing.
A subtle smile lingered on my great-aunt's lips as she looked at Cerden and me.
It was a warm meal, as warm as the Mediterranean climate of Yures.
* * *
I didn't attend the evening banquet. My great-aunt, realizing that I had to continue my uncomfortable act, declared that she wouldn't attend because she wasn't feeling well.
She added that she wanted me to stay by her side, and I remained at the mansion.
I didn't have to face many people.
Now that I looked, there were very few servants in the mansion. I overheard the maids saying that they had deliberately reduced the number.
As Cerden said, my great-aunt was a good person.
It was the first time I had experienced genuine consideration from a proper adult.
I could understand why Cerden was worried about Princess Elizabeth even in that situation and carefully considered going to Yures.
I was glad she survived.
"Is the food to your liking?"
"Ah."
It was a dinner with just the two of us. All the attendants had been dismissed.
"Yes. It's delicious, Grandmother."
"The most difficult thing for me while traveling the continent was the food. I'm glad it suits your taste."
I swallowed the food and smiled brightly.
"Thank you, Grandmother."
It was a softer atmosphere than when we were first left alone.
"Is there anything you want to do? Yures is a country with developed trade, so there are many interesting things. Once you go to Lakecia, you'll be trapped in a rigid atmosphere again, so if you want to enjoy yourself, you should do it here."
I had never... thought about that.
I swallowed hard at the thought of being allowed to enjoy myself.
To be a little more free, to see the world?
"There's no need to bring attendants. I'll go with you."
"...Oh."
"What's with that reaction? You've never even thought about it?"
My great-aunt burst into laughter.
"You're a good child."
I gripped my fork at those words.
I had been so busy hiding myself that I hadn't thought about it. My cheeks flushed at her kind gaze.
"Think about it. If there's anything you want to do. Push all the annoying obligations onto Cerden."
Cerden was planning to gain a lot while coming to Yures. He wouldn't stop at Count Chences in the west.
He was planning many gatherings to build friendships with Yures Kingdom, as well as other business purposes.
Among them was facilitating a deal between the Kurtes Merchant Guild and the Brisman family.
This was something I had requested of Cerden, as I thought I could use the Brisman family later.
My great-aunt immediately packaged all of that as annoying obligations.
"There is something... I want to do."
I felt my face flushing without realizing it.
"What is it?"
"I've decided to go to the temple, and I also want to read a lot of books. I don't know when the last time I read a book without worrying about what others thought."
It was a life where I had to lose even such trivial everyday things. I couldn't be myself.
All the time was acting.
"And I want to learn about business. I've never learned about running a business before. It's not something I can learn in a short amount of time, but..."
"I told you to think about having fun, but you're only thinking about working."
"I've already had enough fun. And I think it would be boring to just sightsee for two weeks."
Rather, I wanted to do things that I couldn't do in Lakecia.
"It'll be difficult to master it perfectly in a short amount of time, but still."
"Business, huh. Hmm, wasn't the Duke Spelman family sitting on the defense industry?"
"Yes, that's right."
Gunpowder belonged to the Imperial Family. Duke Spelman was making guns and cannons by receiving orders from the Imperial Family.
Only the amount determined by the Imperial Family could be distributed, and it was under strict surveillance, so it was impossible to divert it.
Even Duke Spelman, the business owner, had to spend a fortune to smuggle it.
This wasn't a problem that could be solved by coaxing the Emperor or drugging him. It was overseen by the Ministry of Justice.
Nevertheless, it was definitely a business that made a lot of money.
"Then, how about learning about new rifles instead of learning about business? There's a museum nearby."
Museum?
I have some trauma related to museums.
But my interest was piqued.
"I think the most important thing in business is to secure a good item first. To do that, studying is essential."
"That sounds fun!"
It was the first opportunity I had to learn something since becoming Evelyn.
I thought I had studied enough by receiving compulsory education and going to university in modern society, but that wasn't the case.
Living as an idiot was too frustrating. When I thought about it, I was always studying something.
I also enjoyed reading books.
"...To actually like this."
My great-aunt smiled as if she couldn't help it.
"You're such a good child."
It was the second compliment.
.jpg)