
The Crown Princess said with a surprised expression.
“I also wanted to pray for our Evelyn, Crown Princess. Unless I’m making you uncomfortable…”
“Not at all!”
The Crown Princess waved her hands, looking flustered.
“It’s an honor to have you join us!”
Princess Elizabeth was a famous socialite even in Yures Kingdom. There were many young ladies who admired her, a Lady from the Lakecia Empire, and tried to imitate even her smallest habits.
The Crown Princess was one of them.
How cute. She seems younger than me.
“Then let’s depart.”
“Yes, Lady!”
A very disciplined answer came back. The carriage carrying me, the Crown Princess, and my great-aunt headed towards the temple.
I swallowed hard, clutching the temple pamphlet in my hand.
I had read the pamphlet Cerden gave me all night, and it turned out to be a larger temple than I thought. Lots to see.
They say there’s delicious bread sold only at the temple. I have to try that.
Cerden had said to me with a dissatisfied face.
‘I’m left to deal with boring old fogies alone. You seem to be having a lot of fun.’
I couldn’t deny it. How could I, when it was so much fun? Sightseeing, studying, doing everything I wanted to do.
‘At this rate, you’ll say you don’t want to go back.’
‘…Can I stay a little longer?’
The look he gave me was dumbfounded.
‘So, protecting me was all a lie.’
Too bad. So, I was planning to make the most of my time here.
I turned my gaze out of the carriage.
In fact, going out in Lakecia was a constant burden. I always had to be on edge about what might happen, and I had to be conscious of other people’s gazes.
But not here.
My great-aunt was a strong shield for me.
“Evelyn seems to be unfamiliar with this place. I heard she’s not usually a quiet child.”
“Have I made a mistake?”
“Of course not, Bi. If anything, she’s unfamiliar with this old woman.”
It was like that.
Since no one was hostile to me, my heart softened.
The Temple of Healing was getting closer. The ivory-colored building shone brilliantly in the sunlight.
It was a place where countless people seeking miracles came and went.
I stood there.
Miracles.
What I want is not a miracle.
It is a reward for the efforts Cerden and I are making, and the victory of justice.
Nevertheless, today I will try to pray for a little miracle.
Please, let no one get hurt.
Please, let everyone be together at the end of the road we are going.
Please, let me always be myself.
To defy fate, that alone may be a miracle.
* * *
It was around the time Evelyn was skipping social gatherings under the pretense of being ill, going on museum tours with Princess Elizabeth, and meeting with scholars.
In the Lakecia capital, Augustine’s trial was in full swing. Duke Spelman also attended Augustine’s trial. It was to observe.
Duke Spelman’s eyes were coldly fixed.
It wasn’t that he had great affection for Augustine. Frankly, Duke Spelman was a person who placed importance on ‘having things himself.’
He didn’t care what happened to his children after he died, or who took his place.
Augustine was just considered a horse that was easy to exploit.
What Augustine’s trial, which he was now watching, gave Spelman was a sense of defeat.
He glared and stared at his defeat.
The deliberations of the Supreme Court justices were lengthy. As time passed, the faces of Locus and the Spelman family’s legal representatives grew pale.
Duke Spelman gripped his cane tightly.
He had already reached an agreement with the Supreme Court justices through Julia. The sentence Augustine would receive was about life imprisonment.
He was planning to lock him up in prison for a while and then take him out when the time came. He thought it would be better for him to be locked up so he couldn’t cause any accidents.
But there was a variable.
The number of Supreme Court justices attending today’s trial was three. Two of them were strangers. It meant that the ones Duke Spelman had bribed were missing.
All the gears were turning clumsily with missing teeth.
The Supreme Court justices who had taken Spelman’s money were summoned to other trials. It was a decision of the Ministry of Justice, so it couldn’t be overturned.
Duke Spelman’s gaze turned to Mortega.
He was also there to observe.
‘You bat-like bastard.’
Mortega met his gaze. Mortega’s shoulders were stiff. Cerden’s words remained like a brand on him.
‘You will replace me.’
‘…Not Duke Roger?’
‘Yes, I need you.’
This place was like a testing ground for Mortega. In Mortega’s hand was a telegram from Yures. It was Cerden’s order.
[Duke Spelman is acquitted. Augustine Spelman is sentenced to death.]
The excessive duty Cerden had given him weighed heavily on his shoulders. But if he couldn’t overcome this, Mortega would fall into the abyss.
Veronica also decided to follow Cerden’s decision. She was satisfied with literally breaking Spelman's ankles.
‘I lost Tailored, but the Duke will lose his son.’
He didn’t know how many meetings he had with the Ministry of Justice to achieve this. So, Mortega confidently met Duke Spelman’s gaze.
Augustine, unlike usual, was anxiously rubbing his palms on his thighs.
Duke Spelman not coming to find him. The legal representatives ignoring Augustine. And Cerden’s aide, who seemed strangely elated.
Something was going strangely.
And after a long discussion, the Supreme Court justices returned to their seats.
“Our Ministry of Justice has decided on the punishment after a long discussion. Augustine Spelman assassinated the daughter of a noble to whom Emperor personally bestowed a title. According to Lakecia law, this can be considered as defying Emperor’s order and committing treason. Therefore, this Ministry of Justice sentences Augustine Spelman to death! The execution of Augustine Spelman will be carried out at 10 a.m. three days from now!”
The people who had been waiting for the verdict simultaneously burst into exclamations and sighs.
“Damn it, this doesn’t make sense! Don’t talk nonsense! Why do I have to die for killing one such bug-like woman!”
Augustine rose, ranting and raving. The chair he kicked fell to the floor.
“Young Master! You can’t do this!”
“Get lost!”
Locus, kicked by Augustine, rolled on the floor with the chair.
“You bastard who took the money and didn’t do your job has a lot to say! If you have a mouth, speak! Does this make sense!”
“Th, there weren’t no precedents. Rather, according to the law, this is the correct ruling…”
“Am I talking about the law now!!! I’m talking about the money! Father, Father! Are you just going to stand by and watch this!!!”
Augustine rushed towards the audience seats.
Since the sentence of treason had been handed down, he couldn’t even apply for a retrial. Augustine was as good as dead.
Knights blocked his path. Augustine spat as he spoke with bloodshot eyes.
“Tell me! Are you going to abandon this son like this! Think about what I’ve done for Spelman! You son of a bitch!!”
“Shut up!”
“Aaaagh! You should kill that bastard, why am I dying! It’s all Duke Spelman’s doing! I just did what I was told!”
Augustine writhed and blurted out whatever came to mind.
And Mortega was watching that mess with joyful eyes.
It was the achievement he had made with the opportunity Cerden had given him. While Cerden was away. A laugh naturally escaped.
At this moment, he felt like he had become a more outstanding loyalist than anyone else. Veins popped out on Mortega’s hand as he gripped the railing tightly.
This time, he would really be able to stand by his side!
He could see himself being recognized by Cerden before his eyes.
.jpg)