
LOS 5
“But does that mean you're just going to sit idly by? I've watched you throughout the entire course of this revolution. Of course, you have a fatal weakness in your lineage, but I believe you are a more passionate comrade than anyone else. If you can just show that to the leadership, a path may open for you. No, it will open. So, if you're having any useless thoughts, stop them right now and light a fire in those handsome eyes of yours again.”
“Do you really think the leadership will retract words they've already spoken? They are right. I am the son of the Beldam landlord, and that is a fact that cannot be changed.”
Giles spoke self-deprecatingly. He was like a smudge of ink on the surface of a new leadership that was supposed to be perfect and pure. It is only after a great storm has passed that small blemishes become visible. Then, the final cleanup begins. It was an indispensable process for a perfect conclusion.
“Beating around the bush doesn't suit my temperament, so I'll be blunt. I want you to stay under my command.”
Harrington urged, leaning his body forward.
“I will do my best to help you, so even if there isn't much time left, I hope you won't give up until the end. You are a loyal talent of the revolutionary army. I know this because I've watched you from the closest distance. But those far away have never seen you by their side, which is why they've made such a judgment.”
“What exactly am I supposed to do?”
“There is a mission I want you to take charge of personally.”
Harrington handed over a file of documents. Giles took the file and examined the contents, flipping through the pages one by one. Escaped prisoners. According to the tracking results, they were heading toward Beldam.
Once they crossed the border, which had slackened in the aftermath of the defeat, they would be free; no one knew what kind of boomerang that would eventually bring back to Ipswin.
“Your job is to arrest them before they cross the border. You'll need to pay more attention to this mission than any you've handled so far. Approach it knowing that it is a matter of great importance. Depart first thing tomorrow dawn. All the necessary information should be in these documents.”
“Are they important figures?”
“Once you find out who they are, you'll realize they were people who absolutely could not be let go. I'll send word to your subordinates.”
Harrington added as he crushed his cigarette into the ashtray.
“Bring them back as corpses if possible. Cleaning up after the fact is always a nuisance. You agree, don't you?”
-
“What are you thinking about?”
Giles was snapped out of his reverie when Lily suddenly thrust her face in front of his. Seeing his startled reaction, Lily let out a stifled laugh, as if finding it amusing.
“I wasn't thinking about anything.”
“Liar. I thought Giles was angry. So I figured something must have happened. You're scowling so hard, there's no way I wouldn't notice.”
Lily spoke in a deliberately bright voice, but she couldn't take her eyes off Giles, as if she truly was concerned. She was always somewhat tense whenever she was with him. Even if she pretended not to be, Giles could tell.
Perhaps the fact that he was a revolutionary army officer intimidated her? That was a possibility. To put Lily at ease, Giles made up a random excuse.
“When you've worked for a long time, you occasionally get like this. It's a habit.”
“It's not that something's actually wrong?”
She was fundamentally quick-witted. She had already sensed that something special had occurred. However, Giles did not want to mention it.
“There's no need to worry.”
“Really?”
“Yes. So rest easy.”
As he spoke, Giles held out the bread he had brought. Lily took it with her long, slender fingers. They were the unmistakable hands of a pianist.
“The bread might be a bit hard.”
“It's okay. I'm just grateful to be able to eat.”
“Eat slowly. You'll get indigestion.”
Lily nodded. This time, both were silent. Lily, too, was lost in her own thoughts.
She had become much healthier. Though she was still pale from the lack of sunlight, her previous ghost-like appearance had noticeably vanished. A gradual luster was returning to her hair.
“Um, there's something I'm curious about...”
After hesitating, Lily continued.
“You must be busy, yet you keep coming all the way here and bringing me food. Isn't it a hassle? I'm just an unremarkable woman, so I'm curious why you spend so much of your time on me.”
She asked cautiously. Giles looked at Lily and answered simply.
“I only come because I feel at peace when I'm with you.”
“All I do is eat the food you give me.”
“Yes. That's enough.”
He meant it. Watching Lily eat the food he brought provided Giles with a great sense of stability. That was why he didn't just bring any random food.
“And if I don't come, you'll surely starve.”
“I never imagined you would care for me this much.”
Was the idea of someone caring for her unfamiliar? Her attitude had changed significantly compared to when they first met, yet she still couldn't comfortably lean into the kindness Giles showed.
“Just the fact that you saved me is enough to be grateful for...”
“Lily. Sometimes good things happen. Don't try to think too deeply about it.”
Giles added, “As of now, you are the only thing keeping me going.”
Lily seemed surprised to hear those words. She couldn't even hide her fluster and struggled for words. Giles looked at her and asked,
“Did you use to go outside the mansion often?”
“Only when it was time to pick the fruit.”
“Then what do you usually do with the rest of your time?”
“Just... I spend most of it lying down. There isn't much I can do. But I'm not dissatisfied. Now, no one tries to hurt me. I'm happy just knowing I can be alone.”
“You don't go out for walks or anything?”
“If I'm spotted by people, it could be dangerous.”
There were no people around here. It had originally been a noble's private estate, and not many dared to linger in an area the revolutionary army had swept through.
“The outside might not be as dangerous as you think.”
“But if someone sees me...”
“You'll be fine if you're with me.”
Giles stood up and reached out his hand. He wanted to take Lily outside. Now that there was no one to oppress her, she was free. However, Lily was instead constraining herself out of fear.
Giles wanted to make Lily free, if only for today.
“Are you suggesting we go outside?”
“It'll be better for you. You need some sunlight.”
“But I don't have shoes.”
Giles looked down at Lily's bare feet. She had a point. It would be a problem if she hurt her feet while following him. Not wanting that to happen, Giles spoke softly.
“Excuse me.”
Then, he swept Lily up into his arms. Startled, Lily let out a short scream.
“Giles!”
“Tell me if it's uncomfortable.”
With her face flushed red, Lily shook her head. She soon wrapped her arms around Giles's neck. He took this as a sign of permission.
The two of them stepped outside the mansion together. The autumn sky was clear. Lily shielded her eyes with her hand, as if the light were too dazzling. As if a wind of blood had never blown through this place, the rural landscape surrounding the mansion was utterly peaceful.
Giles took Lily to a place he had kept an eye on. It was a stream near a path where countless wildflowers bloomed. It was a place so beautiful that one could imagine nobles once strolling here.
He carefully set Lily down near the stream. As if it were her first time here, she looked around with unfamiliar eyes.
“I never knew a place like this existed,” she said.
The sound of the flowing stream blended with the cries of birds, leading them into a completely different world. Lily, who had been trapped only in the abandoned mansion, seemed to gain vitality here.
Sitting by the stream and dipping her feet in the water, Lily said softly,
“Thank you.”
“...I should be the one thanking you.”
A small flock of tits perched in the distance, chirping. Giles thought about how long it had been since he had spent such a peaceful time with someone. Had he not saved Lily, he would never have experienced such a moment.
Looking down at Lily, who was silently splashing in the water, he became certain. He did not want Lily, of all people, to be hurt. He felt that if anything were to happen to her, he would no longer be able to endure.
Without realizing it, she had become Giles's sanctuary and paradise.
It was uncertain whether he could save his own life, but at the very least, Giles had saved one person.
That fact gave him immense comfort.
Giles thought about the mission General Harrington had assigned him recently. It seemed like a mundane mission to arrest deserters... but somehow, there was something unsettling about it.
If this were truly just a simple mission, why would Harrington have mentioned his life and called it a matter of great importance?
.jpg)