
At the same time, Iana, as the Emperor's escort mage, stood in front of his office door.
"From now on, it's your time."
Iana recalled Charles's words.
From now on, the success or failure of everything depended on her.
After returning from the Wizard's Tower, Iana pondered what kind of attack Riel would launch.
Since Duke Havel and The Nine were connected, Riel, with Duke Havel's assistance, wouldn't just stand by and watch.
'How would Riel attack in this situation?'
She reviewed Riel's methods from her past life and came to a conclusion.
Slander that incites hatred.
No matter how favored by the powerful, a mistress was still a mistress.
The only way a mistress who couldn't step into the light could attack an enemy was through slander.
"I heard he's been embezzling our family's money and giving it to the healer he's taken as a mistress. How can we just stand by and watch?"
Just like in her past life, when Riel incited the hatred of the Count Dietrian family and drove her out.
'Then, what's the most effective slander Riel can use now?'
The answer was surprisingly simple.
Placing the blame for this war on Ervin.
Because it could ensnare her, Ervin's Archmage, and Charles, the lord, all at once.
To prevent Riel's slander from working, she had to inform His Majesty the Emperor first.
Iana was standing in front of the door, lost in thought, when suddenly— Bang!
The office door opened, and Riel said with an indifferent expression.
"Iana Archmage, would you like to have a word with me? Ah, I have His Majesty's permission."
"Then, I shall."
Iana replied with a smile.
"I'll escort you to the drawing room."
The secretary, who had been watching silently, spoke first.
The two followed the secretary to the Imperial Palace's drawing room.
Soon after, Iana and Riel entered the drawing room and sat facing each other across a table.
The two remained silent until the maids brought tea.
Steam rose from the teacups.
Once they were alone in the drawing room, Iana spoke first.
"Lady Riel, please say what you have to say."
"Iana."
Riel called her name softly. Then, she stared straight into her eyes as if trying to discern her true intentions.
Iana threw out a gambit.
"You said the Arika Vine came from Ervin, didn't you? To His Majesty the Emperor."
"......"
Riel only stared into Iana's eyes and said nothing.
But Iana knew Riel better than anyone.
An expression that hid her expression.
A tense atmosphere flowed between the two.
"Is that right?"
Iana laughed loudly to shake Riel's emotions.
"Shut your mouth, Iana."
Riel took a sip of her tea and warned her coldly.
"I don't think this is the time for you to be angry with me, is it?"
"......"
"You should be worrying about how I found out about your plan and made the first move."
"Why, are you trying to say you planted a spy on me?"
Riel smiled mockingly.
Iana leaned forward, bringing her face closer, and said.
"Riel, you're asking the wrong question."
"......"
"You shouldn't be asking if I planted a spy, but who I planted as a spy."
Then, a smile spread across Riel's lips.
"You're lying about planting a spy, aren't you?"
"Yes, it's a lie."
Iana brought her face even closer and sneered.
The smile slowly disappeared from Riel's lips at Iana's words, which toyed with her like she was playing with a person.
Then, the moment Riel stood up from her seat and tried to throw the hot teacup she was holding at Iana's face.
Clack!
Iana grabbed Riel's wrist tightly.
"Riel, use your head. Stop letting me read your moves."
"Let go!"
Hot water spilled precariously from the teacup each time Riel moved.
The hot water soaked both of their hands.
But neither Iana nor Riel let go.
"You're just being held by the wrist by a sickly person, so why can't you move?"
"Why don't you use magic to make me unable to move this time?"
Iana had no intention of using magic in any situation.
She wanted to show Riel, who was mocking her illness.
That she could subdue her without using magic.
Clang!
As Iana gripped Riel's wrist, the teacup eventually fell to the floor and shattered.
Riel said with a twisted smile.
"Iana, only fools change their moves as soon as their opponent reads them."
"So?"
"I'll be waiting. I'll be waiting to see how you stop Ervin from becoming a land of hatred for the people of the Empire."
Riel raised her head and walked towards the drawing room door.
Iana threw a word at Riel's back.
"The fight should be fair."
"......?"
Riel turned around.
"Since I know your hand, I'll show you mine too."
Iana slowly walked towards Riel.
There was no change in Riel's expression, but her eyes were filled with tension.
Iana whispered in Riel's ear so that no one else could overhear.
"People will hate you, not Ervin. The Arika Vine appearing in the capital is..."
"......?"
"I'm going to spread rumors that it's the Crown Prince's curse on someone who shouldn't be in the Imperial Palace."
Flames ignited in Iana and Riel's eyes.
✦ ✦ ✦
That night, Iana went to see Charles, who had returned from patrolling the northern outer walls of the capital.
She sat facing him on the sofa in his room and explained what had happened during the day.
After hearing the whole story, Charles muttered to himself.
"Lady Riel tried to blame the Arika Vine on Ervin?"
Charles's eyes, lost in thought, were sharp.
"I was caught in her plan, but I think Riel intends to push forward with it."
"So you're thinking of countering with the Crown Prince's curse on Lady Riel?"
"Yes, rumors spread quickly the more sensational they are."
Iana said, watching Charles's reaction.
It was to protect Ervin, but it was still using the dead Crown Prince.
"Let's do that. If Lady Riel is given such an image, she won't dare to covet the Empress's position."
"Yes, Your Highness."
After speaking, Charles stared silently at Iana's hand.
"But why is your hand like that?"
"My hand?"
Iana lowered her gaze and looked at her hand.
The area around her thumb and index finger was red and swollen.
It seemed she had been burned by the hot water while struggling with Riel, who was holding the teacup.
"Ah, this is just..."
Iana tried to hide her hand behind her back.
She didn't want to tell Charles that she had fought precariously with Riel over a hot teacup.
But the perceptive him asked first.
"Did Lady Riel do this?"
"I got into a fight with Riel..."
"A fight?"
Charles urged her to answer, his tone slightly sharp.
Iana had no choice but to speak.
"I think I got burned by hot tea."
Charles stood up from his seat and walked to the drawer. He rummaged through it and brought out a small medicine container, then sat down next to her.
He silently placed crushed herbs on Iana's hand.
"Ah!"
A stinging pain washed over her as the herbs touched the wound.
But Charles still said nothing.
Feeling his anger, Iana made excuses.
"I didn't even realize I was burned at first. It probably swelled up as the evening went on."
Charles spoke in a meaningful voice.
"Iana, there will be times when I am not by your side."
"......"
"Even then, take care of your body and cherish it."
His words sounded strange to Iana for some reason.
Her heart ached and felt heavy, as if it were her last words.
She had never thought about a time when Charles wouldn't be by her side.
"I don't want to."
"What?"
Charles's hand, which had been applying the medicine, stopped abruptly.
"I don't want to. Please continue to check if I have any injuries, Your Highness, and apply medicine for me. By my side."
Iana said it jokingly, but she wanted to deny his ominous words.
Charles stared at Iana with a stiff expression before chuckling.
"Still, I'm a Grand Duke, but you're treating me like a healer. How impudent."
"My hand hurts too much."
Iana pretended to be in excruciating pain.
The two looked at each other and laughed loudly.
It was then.
Knock, knock.
A knight's voice was heard along with a hurried knock on the door.
"Your Highness, are you inside?"
Sensing an unusual atmosphere, Charles approached and opened the door.
"What's wrong?"
"We received a call from the Imperial Palace smithy..."
"......"
"The Glass Tube that holds the land of the eastern detached palace has been shattered. For no reason."
.jpg)