
Why hadn't Ayla revealed that fact until now?
As questions piled up, Felix found himself questioning Ayla without realizing it.
“Do you still… have feelings for that guy?”
“What?”
“Isn't it because you still have feelings for Kadin Rate that you didn't want to announce our relationship right away?”
Ayla's face hardened coldly at his sharp words.
But she soon denied it with a firm voice.
“What on earth… That's not true.”
“But if we had pretended to be dating in front of him earlier, something like today wouldn't have happened, right?”
“……”
She was dumbfounded by the situation where she suddenly had to explain her feelings to him.
For Ayla, it was as if the contractor had suddenly violated the contract terms.
But now, instead of admitting his mistake, Felix was questioning Ayla about whether she still liked Kadin.
‘Why do I have to make him understand this?’
Ayla's bewildered expression was evident on her face.
“As I said before, Kadin is a noble, and we're commoners. But if rumors spread that I'm dating you as soon as I dump him, how do you think Kadin, the Rate Family, or the Blanche Family would see us?”
“……”
And the moment Felix saw Ayla's cold expression, he instinctively realized that he had crossed the line.
Normally, Ayla was very generous and kind.
But it was different when it came to stories about Kadin.
She would often make a blank, cold, or disappointed expression at the mere mention of his name.
And now that expression was directed at him.
That fact hit Felix harder than anything else.
‘…I never wanted to make Ayla make that expression at me.’
He had acted like a spoiled child because he thought she wasn't looking at him properly.
Felix awkwardly covered his mouth with his hand and quickly tried to smooth things over.
“I'm sorry, I went too far. It's just that I feel like Ayla treats me like a child… I said it in a fit of anger.”
With a brief apology, his shoulders slumped.
He had no intention of hurting Ayla at all.
He was just frustrated that he couldn't be of help to her.
Ayla's expression softened subtly at Felix's apology.
“You think I treat you like a child?”
Ayla tried to act nonchalant, but she couldn't hide the slight embarrassment.
It wasn't entirely wrong.
No, she felt slightly embarrassed because it seemed like he had seen right through her.
Perhaps because of her past life memories, it was true that Felix seemed much younger than her.
“That's, Felix, I…”
She opened her mouth to make excuses, but Felix quickly cut her off.
“No, it's nothing. I was just saying nonsense. It's just that Ayla seems more mature than people her age…”
Felix ruffled his hair and rambled, then sighed deeply.
“So, I'm sorry. For everything I messed up earlier.”
After finishing his words intermittently, he mustered up the courage to look at Ayla again.
Fortunately, his apology seemed to have worked, as her expression was much softer than before.
“Okay, you don't have to apologize anymore.”
Ayla shrugged and unfolded her arms.
At that sight, Felix seemed relieved, his stiff expression relaxed as he sighed.
For a moment, a quiet silence flowed between the two.
Felix wanted to break this uncomfortable atmosphere somehow, but he couldn't figure out what to say.
Ayla avoided his gaze and gave an awkward smile.
Then, as if trying to shake off the uncomfortable air, she opened her mouth with a forced cheerful voice.
“Then, shall we go back now?”
Felix nodded at Ayla's suggestion, and they turned around together.
They headed straight to the library.
Because Ayla had to go get her things she had left behind.
How far had they walked when Felix suddenly broke the silence?
“…But. Can I ask you just one thing?”
“Huh?”
Ayla tilted her head with a puzzled look.
Felix took a slight breath and continued.
“Actually, I've been wondering about it for a while. What's the reason Ayla is going this far?”
Instantly, Ayla's body froze.
But Felix, unaware of her agitation, continued in a casual tone.
“You not only gave me the Temporary Cure, but you even made the Cure to win over Princess Peony.”
“……”
“You even went to the Forbidden Forest to get the ingredients.”
In fact, on the day they defeated the Drake, Ayla had told Felix the real reason she had to go through all this trouble, out of guilt.
But since then, Felix seemed to have been questioning her actions all along.
“It doesn't seem like Ayla is acting so desperately just because of her ex-fiancĂ©. I should be able to handle that kind of problem on my own.”
As his words continued, Ayla's expression grew darker and darker.
But Felix, failing to notice her mood, asked increasingly sharp questions.
“Is something wrong with Ayla's safety? Is that why you have to prepare so thoroughly?”
Of course, Ayla couldn't answer any of those questions.
It was a story that would be hard to believe even if she told the truth, and she had long decided not to drag Felix into her personal revenge.
In the future, she would have to fight against those who were trying to harm her for a long time.
Without even knowing who was behind it.
‘The existence wasn't revealed until the end of the original story.’
And the person behind it was someone with great power, enough to control a powerful Mage like Rosia.
In this situation, it would be too cruel to tell Felix everything and accept his kindness.
‘So, just pretend you don't know this time, and live happily with Duke Argenta.’
Felix was the one who had to go through deep pain because of her in the original story.
She didn't want to give him the same pain again.
Anyway, it wouldn't be long before the fact that Felix was Duke Argenta's son would be revealed.
Then Felix would have a bright future ahead of him. Unlike her life, where she couldn't see an inch ahead.
Ayla said in a soft but cold voice.
“It's my problem, so you don't have to worry about it.”
“……”
“We're just in a contract relationship. I get your protection, and you get the Cure, that's all.”
After finishing her words, Ayla turned her head away, avoiding his gaze.
“So I hope you don't interfere too much. It's burdensome.”
It was definitely drawing a line.
Felix quietly sighed.
Because he realized that it was impossible to pry any further from her.
He didn't argue any further and put down the bag he had been carrying on his shoulder.
And he held it out in front of Ayla.
“What… is this?”
“I brought it for Ayla.”
When he opened the bag, there were gifts wrapped with clumsy skill.
Unlike the gifts that Kadin had wrapped luxuriously, it looked as if Felix himself had prepared them.
Ayla was speechless for a moment and stared at the gifts.
Then, Felix took something out of it and said.
“This bracelet is said to ward off bad luck. I thought Ayla would need it.”
“……”
“Don't get hurt, Ayla.”
Ayla couldn't say anything at Felix's expression, which seemed to genuinely worry about her.
Just a moment ago, she had been spouting such sharp words.
‘…Do I really deserve to receive this?’
The bitterness in her heart deepened the moment she held the bracelet he handed her.
.jpg)