
[Crown Prince Vasily Nikolayevich Novarov. Your Highness shall eventually ascend the throne and become infamous as the Tyrant Vasily, only to lose your life to rebel agents and assassins in the fourth year of your reign. This is a future exactly seventeen years from today, and thereafter, Grand Duchess Tatyana, who was practically Your Majesty's strategist, shall walk the same path.]
As per his advice, I had thought that prophecies were inherently clear in their timing and delivery. But looking at it now, the prophecies of other seers sounded like nothing more than insightful aphorisms at best.
“The prophecies announced by the Order of the Oracle. Do they all come true?”
“According to statistics, exactly about one-third of them do. It is a quite remarkable figure.”
I didn't know which part I was supposed to be amazed by. The fact that prophecies like 'Beware of plagues' are 30% accurate? Or the fact that 70% of them are wrong?
“But didn't Valentin Dmitriev save over five thousand people on his own?”
“Haha. It is absurd to compare even the greatest of saints to him. For His Eminence Valentin is an apostle sent by God to this decaying land.”
Whether he was an apostle of God or not, I couldn't know since I've never spoken with God. However, it was clear that Bishop Parben revered him deeply. Parben scanned the bookshelves arranged for the theology lesson and soon pulled out a thick volume, spreading it open before me.
“Here, can you tell me what these people have in common?”
I craned my neck to examine the page Parben had opened. The images inserted into the paper were four black-and-white portraits, and even without looking closely, there was a particularly striking commonality.
“Their jaws stick out a lot.”
“Yes, it is said that in reality, it was even more severe. Because their jaws could not align, they could not consume food properly, and as a result, most died before the age of thirty due to numerous complications. Some say it was a genetic disease caused by inbreeding, while others call it a divine punishment bestowed upon humans who tried to control the oracle. It has been 120 years since the lineage ended.”
That was it. The figures in these photos were all members of the 'hotloy,' a family of prophets.
According to the book, the hotloy family was a blessed lineage that produced numerous prophets, and to maintain this power and authority, they had practiced repeated inbreeding for hundreds of years.
“Since ancient times, the power of the oracle held immense authority. There was a period, not short in length, when the Order of the Oracle exerted strong influence over the election of the Pope. Other prophets besides the hotloy also tried to form families and monopolize the power of the oracle, but this ultimately led to the unfortunate conclusion of their lineages being severed.”
“People are the same everywhere. I think I heard similar examples in history class.”
“A point that is hard to deny. Haha... That is why I admire His Eminence Valentin even more. Historically, it is extremely rare to find someone who delivers prophecies with pure goodwill and compassion, without the greed to seize more wealth and power, and as freely as he does.”
Parben's lesson on prophets concluded after repeatedly praising Valentin toward the end.
'What the... So in the end, is Valentin such a wonderful person that there's no problem with me obsessing over him...? But Parben's respect felt like it was from a distance; it wasn't the kind of aggressive approach I'm taking.'
After some deliberation, I took Ivan's hand and went to find Emma.
Emma, Valentin's fiancée, might give me a better answer. Since I also needed to express my gratitude and sincerity for crashing the poetry reading without an invitation, I had a clear reason for the visit. Emma welcomed me, and my modest gift, with great joy.
“I was already so grateful that Her Imperial Highness graced the gathering with her presence... and to think you prepared such a gift?”
“Go ahead and open it.”
“Right here? Is that alright?”
“Yes.”
Upon checking the gift box, Emma couldn't close her mouth. My sense of style really is amazing. Smart people are usually good at picking gifts.
Emma looked at me while touching the high-quality handmade lace, beads, pins crafted with small gems including rubies, white pearls, and delicate artificial flowers piled high in the box.
“This is...”
“I thought about it when you showed me your pin last time. You made these yourself, right? The choker around your neck, the headband, and that pink lace bonnet hanging on the rack—all of them.”
Emma asked back with a blank expression.
“How did you know? Don't tell me they look so poor that you could tell at a glance...”
“Not at all. Even if they are simple, the taste of the accessories is consistent. Usually, people wear various designs by mixing family jewels or their mother's things. And also...”
I lifted Emma's hand and pointed to her fingers.
“You have calluses. I noticed when you touched my hair. I realized you make and wear everything yourself.”
Emma's neck flushed red like a ripe apple.
“Ah, I'm so happy you noticed. Actually, my skills aren't that great, and it's not a hobby I can brag about... I feel very strange. Her Imperial Highness is much younger than I am, but you seem so mature. I feel as if you're a friend.”
Well, of course. Even if my body is thirteen, my mind is more mature than Ivan's.
“Actually, I recently made a choker while thinking of Your Highness...”
“Bring it here. You can put it around my neck. The other things too.”
With a bright smile, Emma hugged the gift and left the drawing room.
Later, after checking the items Emma brought back in her arms, I regretted my confident declaration that I would be her doll.
Isn't this too much? I intended to extract some desired information using bribes as a pretext, but this feels like the tail is wagging the dog.
“Then, if you'll excuse me, Her Imperial Highness.”
Watching her fuss over dressing me up, my worries and contemplations felt futile.
As expected, Emma might be the best person to give me the answer I'm looking for. She even secretly told me about her fiancé, which was supposedly confidential. I decided to seek her advice, provided it didn't interfere with their engagement.
“What do you like, Emma? Not things like sewing.”
Emma's deliberation was very short.
“I like pretty things. Pretty, cute, and fluffy things. My mother scolds me, saying I still haven't let go of my childish tastes... but I don't think my tastes will change just because I get older.”
“Is that why you like me so much?”
I am pretty, after all.
Emma's cheeks flushed shyly.
“Yes. Actually, the person who gave me the most inspiration while creating patterns was Princess Tatyana... Princess Tatyana and Princess Larisa look similar from afar, but up close, they are polar opposites. That's why I was so happy when you attended my poetry reading.”
.jpg)