
Furthermore, he had returned to pay his respects to his father first, rather than the Pope. Suspecting that he might settle in Ohala, nobles flocked to Shaharanisk to establish even the smallest acquaintance with him.
‘Thinking about it again, the news was far too sudden. My purpose for leaving Mahachkala had nothing to do with Valentin.’
In truth, the reason I had come down to Shaharanisk was to see the statue of Roo. This is because the statue of Roo was being exhibited at Duchess Illyn's ball.
The statue of Roo is one of the precious holy relics of gabhilism.
Generally, all holy relics are kept in the Papal State or exhibited in large holy halls, but the statue of Roo was different. Following his own last will—'Let me wander the world and care for the pitiful'—the statue of Roo had been wandering across the continent for 700 years. It played a significant role in inspiring the faith of the believers.
‘An old-fashioned statue like that... I wouldn't have cared if it weren't for Valentin.’
Roo is known as the progenitor of the prophets who possessed the power of the oracle. Hearing that it returns to the Empire once every 17 years, I felt I absolutely had to see it. It meant that if not now, the next opportunity would be in 17 years.
However, no sooner had I arrived in Shaharanisk three days ago than news of Valentin arrived. I had heard through a letter that he was returning, but I didn't know he would be coming through Shaharanisk.
In short, today's reunion was the result of a coincidence piled upon a coincidence upon a coincidence.
‘Right! I came to see the statue of Roo, not to see Valentin. If I see Valentin, I see him. Why should I hide my face and peek secretly? Like a stalker.’
Therefore.
“If news spreads that Your Highness attended the ball, Her Majesty the Empress will surely be furious.”
The fact that my attendance at the ball is a secret has nothing to do with Valentin.
“I know. I'll introduce myself to the people, including Duchess Illyn, as the younger sister of the wife of a cousin of Sergei's old friend. I've already received Sergei's permission. Since my nationality is foreign and my Ohala language is awkward, they won't be able to strike up a conversation easily. I'll just say... thanks to Sergei, I was able to visit Shaharanisk for sightseeing and was luckily invited to the ball hosted by Duchess Illyn...”
“And the setting is that Count Valentin happened to be invited to that same ball.”
“Exactly.”
There is only one reason why I am attending the ball even while keeping it a secret from my mother. It is because those who are not adults cannot attend balls or dinner parties held outside their hometown for any reason.
The reason I was able to come down to Shaharanisk was thanks to a schedule to enjoy boating at a nearby villa upon the invitation of my friend, Sergei.
Exactly one week. That was the amount of time I was permitted to be away from the Imperial Palace upon Sergei's invitation.
Enjoying my first overnight stay away from home on a friend's invitation? For a 17-year-old girl on the threshold of adulthood, isn't this the most romantic beginning imaginable? Of course, considering that friend is of the opposite sex, I had to drag Ivan along as a third wheel.
The reason I went as far as deceiving my mother to see the statue of Roo was not simply out of curiosity about Roo's existence.
The jewel of prophecy, which is said to be embedded in the forehead of the statue of Roo.
‘I heard that if someone with the power of the oracle looks into that jewel, they can see the future.’
Thus, it is said that in the past, true prophets were identified through that jewel.
Since Valentin possesses the power of the oracle, and I am a distant relative of his, wouldn't it be possible for me too? Could I perhaps see the future of my family?
‘I know it's nearly impossible. But you never know.’
For me, who had been exhausted for various reasons lately, it was a precious possibility that could boost my motivation.
Sigh. Fedora let out a small sigh.
“Although Your Highness is somewhat impulsive, you are not one to make things worse without thinking, so I am not overly worried. Still, the reason I feel anxious is...”
Knock, knock.
Someone knocked on the door. It had to be Sergei.
“Come in! Fedora, what were you saying?”
“...It's nothing.”
“What do you mean, nothing? Just speak comfortably. What is there to hide between you and me?”
Just then, the door to the room opened smoothly, and a tall man entered.
His secret brown eyes, glancing subtly toward me, were full of mischief. As if responding to his reaction, I whipped around, showing him my back, stretched my neck long, and struck a pose that wouldn't look out of place in a fashion magazine.
“Give me your honest impression, Seryozha. Do I look like Princess Larisa?”
Sergei. Nickname: Seryozha. My precious friend.
A companion in deviation who provided great help so that I could be here (though in truth, he had been helping me pull off things behind my family's back long before that).
He was a year older, but that was practically the same age. With a height slightly over 185cm and a natural build, he was someone who made me feel secure whenever and wherever we were together. With short black hair that suited him better than anyone else, he was the best groom candidate of this era. Though I would never marry him.
There would be no end to describing him. Sergei, who had entered with the door still open, asked while leaning against the wall.
“You just want my impression?”
Instead of answering, I shrugged. After scanning my body with an exaggerated posture and expression, Sergei left a brief impression.
“You look like a vampire. A vampire who came to suck the blood and money out of young men.”
“Great, so either a witch or a vampire, right? Absolutely no one will be able to approach me. I even raised the heels of my shoes on purpose. Look, I'm not that much shorter than you today, right?”
“To think I've been given the opportunity to escort such a beauty. It is the honor of my family, Lady Genevieve. So...”
“The younger sister of the wife of your friend's cousin.”
“Oh.”
“My head is going to explode. Lady Genevieve, the younger sister of a friend's cousin, a vampire and witch who sucks the blood of young men? Your original status is incomparably more glamorous, Lara.”
The final comment belonged not to Sergei, but to Ivan. As soon as he entered following Sergei, he threw himself onto the sofa, sitting more like he was lying down. I only let out a small snort at his blatant sarcasm.
Regardless, Ivan was a collaborator who helped me stand in this position. Honestly, I still don't know why he agreed so readily... but usually, a lady is expected to attend various balls to gain experience before her coming-of-age ceremony. Perhaps Ivan was being considerate in his own way.
“So, Fedora? What were you going to say?”
My bravest and most honest maid in the Imperial Palace, Fedora, spoke her mind regardless of whether a prince and the heir to a ducal house were beside her.
“I am worried about Count Valentin. Will he really not recognize Your Highness?”
“Isn't that why I brought this hat? Surely it's not that obvious even in this state?”
“No, that's not what I mean. Of course, I have never met him. But based on the stories I've heard from various places, including Your Highness, Count Valentin seems to be a very perceptive person. Furthermore, this is purely my own delusion, but... what if he has a lover? What if, beyond a lover, he has an illegitimate child and brought them along...?”
“Fedora.”
“I know I'm worrying over nothing. But you know it's a very common occurrence in reality. I am afraid that Your Highness might be disappointed in the Count.”
.jpg)