WYL 5

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
Then again, there is a difference between him bragging about me and me clinging to an outsider myself.

Because I loved Vasily, my family, I didn't want to offend him as much as possible. As I slid my hand out of Valentin's, Vasily stepped closer and lightly patted my cheek.

“Don't be upset. I'll make time to play with you tomorrow as well. Valentin, the weather has warmed up considerably; why don't we enjoy some horseback riding? What do you think?”

“I would like that.”

They naturally passed by my side.

Left alone in the drawing room, I watched the two figures rapidly receding into the distance, but Valentin, who should have vanished following Vasily, suddenly stopped at the entrance. He glanced back and gave a light wave with his hand hanging down.

‘Is he telling me to catch up?’

With a bewildered expression, I approached and took his hand. Soon, Valentin led me along as if it were the most natural thing in the world, following behind Vasily.

Vasily, who had been saying a few words to Valentin, looked slightly surprised to see me trailing along while holding hands, but he did not reprimand us.

‘Why is he taking me?’

Doubt rose within me, but my lips remained frozen, refusing to move. Did I look pitiful, as if I were being cast aside? I spent the walk stealing glances at Valentin's face as he walked a few paces behind Vasily, slightly slower than the rest.

After arriving at the stables, while Vasily was giving various instructions to the stable manager, Valentin asked me.

“Do you have no lessons today?”

Valentin was practically my enemy; was it alright to answer him kindly?

The deliberation didn't last long.

“No, there are normally no lessons on Sundays.”

“One would think you'd invite friends your own age.”

“My father doesn't really like it. He thinks everyone is just trying to use me. They're just kids, so what's the point anyway?”

“Are they not around the same age as you?”

“I'm the smartest regardless.”

The way Valentin looked at me was as if he were observing some strange animal. It was the truth, so what could I do? Vasily approached us.

“Only as far as the stables, Lara. Since you're here, you might as well take a look at Lara.”

I pulled Valentin along and ran toward one of the pleasant stalls lined up in the stable. A white horse, sturdy as a centuries-old giant tree with a charming silver mane and tail, recognized my voice and thrust its head forward.

“This is my horse. Her name is Lara. She's the smartest horse in Makhachkala. Obviously, that's because she takes after her owner.”

Valentin looked as if he were contemplating which part to nitpick first, but he soon gave up and scanned Lara.

“She is an extraordinary horse.”

His voice sounded genuinely sincere for once.

“You have a good eye, Valentin. She's the finest breed, a cross between a Shire and a Red Fox. The north steppe tribe sent only two as gifts to His Imperial Majesty, and she is one of them.”

“She seems a bit too tall to be used as a mount for Her Imperial Highness.”

“She's a clever girl, so she only allows women she likes. She rejects the touch of Her Imperial Majesty the Empress and Tatyana, and she's only well-behaved around me, so what can be done? If I let her graze near the greenery during the day, she comes back on her own before sunset, so it's not like she's miserable. She's living the life of luxury.”

“It's not particularly surprising that the finest horse only likes me, the prettiest. Don't you think so, Valentin?”

The arrogant Valentin didn't even nod out of politeness.

Instead, he placed his hand firmly on the bridge of Lara's nose while she was busy snorting and smelling my hair. Normally, Lara would have been deeply offended, kicking her hind legs or throwing a violent tantrum, but she stayed quiet and let him touch her face.

My goodness, Lara. To allow someone other than me to touch her face...

“Surprising. This is the first time I've seen her like a man.”

You traitor! I let out a huff of lamentation.

“It must be because Valentin is pretty. You faithless thing, Lara...”

It was an expression that would have made any gentleman recoil, but Valentin surprisingly showed no particular reaction. Perhaps he knows he's pretty? Filled with a sense of betrayal, I stroked Lara's face and asked Valentin in passing.

“Would you mind riding her once?”

“On Lara's back, you mean?”

“Yeah. Lara has never run while bonding with a person. By the time I'm fully grown, Lara will be at the end of her prime. I thought it wouldn't be bad for her to run with someone before then.”

To be honest, I was envious of Valentin.

Because the ill-tempered Lara allowed only my touch in the Imperial Palace—except for when she was being washed—I couldn't even mount her with other adults. All I could do was circle the riding grounds a few times under the guidance of my brothers. The only horse I could actually ride was a small Lara, the largest and gentlest pony in the palace.

Valentin stared at my face for a moment before accepting the offer. The faithless Lara was docilely led away by the new tack and the new man, which left me feeling a simultaneous wave of relief and disappointment.

“That's great. Have a fun ride.”

I decided that once Valentin and Lara finished their run, I would cling to Valentin again. Valentin didn't even answer my farewell; he simply turned the reins, approached Vasily, and exchanged some words.

Even so, he's borrowing my Lara; shouldn't he at least say thank you? As I glared at Valentin with skewed eyes, the stable manager soon handed me a few items.

I wondered what they were, and they turned out to be the riding hat and gloves I used.

‘Huh?’

Staring blankly at the gloves, I ran to Vasily.

“Am I riding too? Is that okay? Won't it be a bother? Should I go bring the little Lara now?”

“Calm down, Lara. Valentin said he would carry you, so there's no need to bring the little Lara. As he said, if not now, it will be difficult for you to mount Lara's back.”

I looked at Valentin, standing awkwardly beside Vasily. He hadn't ignored my farewell; he had been making that request to Vasily.

“Excuse me, Your Imperial Highness.”

Vasily lifted me up and sat me in front of Valentin. Valentin's arms naturally reached around me as if embracing me to grasp the reins. I shifted hesitantly to get settled and then gripped the reins along with him.

Was it because I could hear Valentin's calm breathing right above my head? The seat I shared with him felt so uncomfortable I felt like I might go crazy. Not to mention my heart, which was pounding wildly.

My tension gradually subsided as I felt Lara's excitement in her footsteps. Following Vasily, who had moved ahead, Valentin picked up the pace slightly. It was my first time running at this speed from such a high vantage point, and it felt strange.

“It seems Lara likes Your Highness very much.”

Watching the scenery, I replied to Valentin in an incredibly refreshed mood.

“Of course she does. Do you know how much I've looked after her? Washing her, feeding her, taking her for walks...”

“Did you not say that the Yorkshire Terrier you're raising is also named Lara?”

“That's right, I named them both. It's a name that's pleasant to say and hear. I can't call myself by my own nickname, can I?”

“It must be uncomfortable for you when the servants speak your nickname carelessly.”

“If you're uncomfortable with something like that, you're a petty person.”

Just like you.

“Prince Vasily is increasing his speed. It's dangerous, so please hold the reins tightly.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!