WYL 71

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
Recalling the blood-soaked scene of that time, I feel a strange sense of profound emotion. It is because, since that day, Vasily has ceased to repeat the actions befitting the derogatory nickname 'future tyrant.' At least, as far as I know.

Come to think of it.

'That sword... isn't that the sword Vasily used to kill someone that day?'

Upon closer inspection, the blade of the sword bore vivid, blackened bloodstains, and the sight of them made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. That's the blood from that day. There's no mistake; my memory is always accurate.

Was it a mere coincidence that the day Vasily killed the attendant and the day the sword was thrust into that portrait were the same?

[I will never... to a blood-crazed monster like you...!]

Ivan's scream-like shout echoed in my ears.

A blood-crazed monster. Does Ivan still think of Vasily that way?

The traces of Duke Libertan were quite distinct here. There were even several photographs and portraits depicting his youth that were easily found.

Looking at Duke Libertan's childhood naturally brings Ivan to mind. Not only was the stubborn furrow of his brow identical, as if traced with paper, but the neat hairline across his forehead and the nose—more prominent than those of his brothers—were the spitting image of him, like a child.

I found that fact extremely unpleasant, so I immediately turned around and left the drawing room.

"Haaa."

"...Your Highness, are you greatly concerned for your safety? As long as you do not leave the Imperial Palace, you will never feel a threat as great as yesterday's again. Your guard has been increased as well."

"Fedora. You're still young, so you might not know, but the real enemy is usually inside, not outside. An increase in guards doesn't change much."

"Inside? Hmm. I suppose... the true trial immediately facing Your Highness is the Imperial Ball. Since it is essentially a place to make you shine, even a small mistake would be talked about by people for a long time..."

Good grief, the more I dig, the more suspicious Ivan becomes.

Shouldn't I inform my family of these worries and concerns as soon as possible? That way, they can beat some sense into Ivan for recklessly going astray!

'But think about it. There's no way Vasily or Valentin wouldn't know about the things I suspect, right?'

Valentin, in particular, seemed to have been carrying out secret operations related to the rebels for the past several years. Which means... Ah!

'If I press Valentin for answers... hmm, no. That's not right. If Ivan is innocent, I'd just be tarnishing his honor.'

I had already expressed my doubts about Ivan to Vasily the previous day, but he didn't seem to take it seriously. Or perhaps he already knows and is hiding it.

Then there is only one option left. I have no choice but to investigate the party involved directly.

'Alright. Since I've decided to hear the identity of the rebels at the Imperial Ball, I'll catch him off guard then.'

The best outcome would be to make him confess his wrongs himself.

If Ivan were to apologize while shedding tears, Father and Mother would surely forgive that wild colt. No one in the family has been hurt yet. So, if Ivan has truly stepped onto the wrong path...

"..."

Why did Ivan make such a choice?

I recalled the prophecy Valentin had left for Vasily.

[Your Highness will later ascend the throne and become notorious as the Tyrant Vasily, only to lose your life to rebel agents and assassins in the fourth year of your reign. ...Grand Duke Tatyana, who was practically Your Majesty's strategist, will meet the same fate.]

I do not exist in the future Valentin speaks of.

And neither does Ivan.

In a future where I am gone, why did Ivan disappear as well...?

The Imperial Ball.

Even if a princess is attacked, the Imperial Ball still takes place.

The reason that statement—which might sound like a mockery at first glance—is described almost with admiration is likely because the Ohala Empire's Imperial Ball has never once been canceled or postponed in over two centuries.

During wartime, tens of thousands of soldiers were invited to be awarded medals to boost morale, and during famines, food was supplied across the country using the proceeds from selling ball invitations regardless of social status.

In an unusual move for that era, wealthy commoners without titles attended the Imperial Ball, which drew great resentment for defiling the dignity of the Imperial family and the honor of the nobility. However, today, it is evaluated that this played the largest role in making the Ohala Imperial Ball the world's greatest social venue, where powerful families and wealthy individuals from various countries long to be invited.

Indeed.

The Imperial Ball is an event that is held even if war breaks out and persists even if famine eats away at the country. How could a ball with such noble history and reputation be halted based merely on an assassination threat against the youngest princess?

"Those hounds called Horgan must have played a trick. Otherwise, wouldn't it be impossible to hold the Imperial Ball less than ten days after you, Lara, almost suffered such a disaster?"

"Mm."

"Their intention is obvious. They plan to use you as bait to catch and torture the spies. If they are at a level where they can crawl into the Imperial Ball, there's a high probability they know the bases and major strongholds of Libertan."

"Ummm."

"Do you understand now, Lara? Valentin is the kind of man who wouldn't hesitate to sell you and me to Libertan if it meant eradicating the rebels. Generally, the more a person acts noble, the easier it is for them to become blood-crazed. Four years is more than enough time for a hidden nature to reveal itself. He may act like a gentleman in front of you, though."

"Uuuuum."

"You look like you have a lot to say; feel free to refute me. Your older sister is ready to listen."

No, that's not it.

Ivan, who had been staring at Tatyana the whole time, asked with a fed-up expression.

"Hey, Tanya. Just how do you manage to chatter so much while keeping your mouth shut like that?"

Tatyana let out a blatant, heavy sigh and shook her head. She answered while keeping her lips calmly closed.

"Isn't this naturally the refinement of royalty? I can't exactly engage in private chatter while showing my teeth like someone here, can I?"

"You really make things difficult. Why do you insist on gossiping by waving your tongue around when you could just sit still like a stone statue with your mouth shut?"

"Ignorant children are usually the quiet ones. Like you."

"Empty vessels make the most noise. Like you."

While the bickering between the two intensified, I gazed again at the dazzling sight unfolding before my eyes.

Beneath the nine chandeliers hanging from the ceiling sat the powerful figures from various regions, all dressed to the nines. On the floor, a level lower than where Father, Mother, and my siblings were seated, I could see men and women dancing, surrendering themselves to the soft music. Fitting for the reputation of the Imperial Ball, every movement was light and cheerful, like the fluttering of butterfly wings.

This is Wilson Hall.

I heard it was named after an ancestor from several generations ago, but as for how many generations... whatever, that's not what's important right now.

'It's a bit unfair. Everyone else is busy mingling with faces that look like they're dying of excitement.'

And yet, I—the protagonist of this ball and the one who became an adult this year—have to be stuck in such a boring spot, keeping my mouth shut and just waiting for my turn to dance!

'I swear, royal dignity is perfectly designed to ruin one's lower back.'

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!