WYL 72

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
Unlike Tatyana, a master of ventriloquism, Ivan and I tended to open our mouths wide every time we spoke.

If it becomes obvious that you're a chatterbox, it's easy to attract attention. Seeing as the dancers further down, past Tatyana and Ivan, were starting to look our way one by one, I felt that learning ventriloquism as soon as possible would be for the best.

I observed Ivan, who was preoccupied with grumbling. Drawing on my seventeen years of experience, I tried to find anything out of the ordinary compared to his usual self, but nothing stood out.

'Nothing special.'

Hmm. Perhaps he has no plans to attack me today? My gaze must have been too blatant, as Ivan shot me an irritable look.

“What are you staring at now?”

“……It’s nothing. Your teeth are just so white, I couldn't help but look.”

Leaving Tatyana behind, who was shrugging her shoulders with a refined expression, I searched for Sergei this time.

Standing among women his own age with a leisurely look on his face, Sergei had Duchess Nikitin positioned beside him like a wall. It was an atmosphere that clearly suggested she was scouting for a future Duchess, which felt strange. As expected, I suppose I'm not on that list.

Next was Igor... the moment I spotted him, I flinched involuntarily. It was because our eyes met for a split second as he stepped back after finishing a dance with his partner. After looking up at me for a while, he gave a slight nod with his usual blunt expression. A small laugh escaped me as I recalled his absurd sense of humor, which contrasted so sharply with his calm impression.

'And Valentin is still nowhere to be seen.'

I thought I caught a glimpse of him a few minutes ago. Is he busy preparing for any eventuality, as usual?

Before long, I saw Vasily returning from the bottom of the stairs. It would be Ivan's and my turn soon. Before leaving our spot, I cautiously nudged the person beside me.

“Tanya, I have something on my mind lately.”

“Hmm? Go ahead. Tell me whatever is bothering you.”

“If you have no intention of marrying, is it polite to draw a line?”

I thought I had whispered as softly as possible, but not only Tatyana, but even Ivan and Vasily turned their heads toward me.

“My goodness.”

Tatyana clasped her hands together, her face showing a rare look of intense excitement.

“To ask such a question at a moment like this! I really should just give up on ventriloquism!”

I wasn't sure whether to appreciate such an enthusiastic reaction or find it burdensome. I continued, feeling the utterly uncomfortable gazes of my brothers pressing against me.

“The person... is definitely someone I like. We communicate well, and it's pleasant and comfortable when we're together. But I can't picture a future where I become family with this person.”

“To think you can say such profound things; you've truly become an adult, Lara!”

Beside a genuinely moved Tanya, Ivan clicked his tongue.

“Not profound, just vague. The vague and ambiguous way of speaking typical of women with hearts like reeds.”

“Isn't that exactly what being an adult is? Weighing the balance between rationality and pleasure. The world where the woman who weighs that balance most skillfully is revered as the winner. That world is the one you are standing in, Lara.”

“Teaching the child some great things.”

“So, is it polite to draw a line or not?”

When I asked again:

“Is there a need to be so obsessed with politeness? Even if you cross the line, you'll just be chewed up as a moment's gossip and return to your original position shortly after. You can play around for a while and then discard them when you decide it's no longer profitable.”

“My only older sister is leaving me such educational advice.”

“That's because becoming royalty means that being overly conscious of others' gazes only diminishes one's own authority and value. Just like you.”

Ignoring Tatyana's cold sneer, Ivan craned his neck toward me.

“Listen, Lara. You communicate well, they're polite, it's pleasant to be with them, and they have firm convictions you can learn from. Isn't that exactly what 'liking' someone is? What reason is there not to marry that man? As Tanya said, if you weigh things too much, you'll end up losing all the good opportunities.”

Though it was advice from the highly suspicious Ivan, he wasn't wrong.

'Is that so? Am I weighing the other person too much right now?'

I once again pictured a married life with the man who had come to mind.

As expected, no particular red flags came to mind. If every part of the person is fine and every future with them seems smooth... then perhaps there really is no reason not to marry.

“I understand your worries are deep, Lara, but I think we should head down to the ballroom before it's too late. Who will you have your first dance with?”

Vasily's calm voice woke me from my thoughts, which had almost sunk deep.

I gazed regretfully at Vasily, who always stood before me like an impregnable fortress, and answered poutily.

“Ivan.”

The person whose name was called stood up with a triumphant look, fluttering his jacket (though it wasn't particularly long).

“See that, brother? I won the bet. So get ready to grant my request.”

“You used your head.”

“You petty bastard.”

Leaving the curses of his brothers behind, Ivan took my hand and descended the stairs with a majestic air.

Everyone's eyes were fixed on us. Unlike me, who still felt uncomfortable with such blatant attention, Ivan looked around with a practiced smile and even exchanged greetings. Even the naturally stoic Vasily probably wasn't as sociable as Ivan.

'Is that why he's so prone to delusions? To the point where he doesn't hesitate to do things that threaten me, his own family?'

Suppressing the distrust that flared up incessantly, I took my first step.

“So, what bet did you make with Vasily?”

“Something a brat doesn't need to—”

Stomp. The next sound was an 'ugh.' Ivan, whose foot had been stepped on by my shoe, glared at me, but I didn't care.

“I asked what the bet was.”

“How are you even more impatient than Tanya? There's no need to rush; you'll find out when the time comes.”

“Fine, then as promised, tell me about the rebels. As you know, I almost lost my life to them twice. If there's anyone in the world who should know the most intimate details about them, it's me. Right?”

Ivan took a deep breath with an expression that suggested the time had come.

How would the rebels be described coming from his mouth? I kept my ears wide open, focusing on Ivan's expression and words.

“You probably already know that they follow Duke Libertan, Lara.”

“…….”

“You might not have known... but some nobles have been participating in his treason all along. Their own justifications are quite plausible.”

“Justifications?”

“At first, they questioned my father's origins, and later, they doubted the qualities of the heirs. Well, but the real way that man lures people in is something else.”

If it's a method...

“Social reform. They say they'll bring down the Imperial Family and revive the republic system from hundreds of years ago.”

A republic. The moment I heard that word, my heart thudded violently. It was because I recalled Ivan's behavior, which I had occasionally seen—how he interacted comfortably with others regardless of their status.

'Was it because of the republic that Ivan joined the rebels?'

Did he choose conviction over family? Perhaps, to Ivan, the family he should protect and love was not us, but the rebels. My suspicion was gradually turning into certainty.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!