
IBP 12
Coco's purple eyes, sparkling as if they held the sunlight, scanned the surroundings.
Then, they soon became empty, as if she had lost all hope.
"Hmph. Big sister isn't here."
"What's with the 'hmph'? I'm right here."
"I thought sister came to see me... but it's only Ruth-nim..."
"Hah, seriously... Now, let's fill your stomach first."
Coco's mouth dropped open as she looked at the food filling the formal dining table.
"Wowww!"
It was quite cute to watch her clumsily cut pieces of meat while drooling.
'How could anyone kick out such a tiny thing? Seriously, that person has absolutely no heart.'
Without realizing it, Ruth took the plate from Coco and began cutting the meat for her, asking, "Were you kicked out? But you've been holding on this whole time?"
"No! It's... um... two steps back for one step forward!"
"Then isn't that just one step back?"
"...?"
He let out a hollow laugh as he watched Coco tilt her head in confusion.
"You've heard you're cute a lot, haven't you?"
"Yess."
"...Hah, she's quite the bold one."
But why didn't he feel any dislike toward her?
"Fine. You are cute. Since you've been kicked out, do you want to come to my house?"
It was just then, as Coco looked up at Ruth with sparkling eyes.
The dining room door opened, and Chloe appeared with a languid expression.
"Stop flirting with the kid. She wasn't kicked out."
"...Ah, Chloe Ardos. Here comes the trash."
As he frowned, Chloe sat in the opposite chair and countered.
"What."
"Even so, really. Not only do you kick a child out, but you leave her abandoned in front of the door in this cold weather?"
"I didn't kick her out."
"Right! I wasn't kicked out!"
"Then why were you at the door...?"
"At our house, the door lets in sparkly light! So I went outside the mansion early in the morning to look at it!"
Coco rambled for a long while about the glass doors of Chloe's Haeguk Mansion.
Something about how the light reflecting when the morning sun hits is wonderful?
'...Wait. This is strange.'
He suddenly looked around.
Come to think of it, the state of the dining room today was odd.
Unlike Chloe's usual space, it wasn't dark, but filled with sunlight.
"Anyway, she's... really peculiar."
A faint smile played on Chloe's lips.
He cleared his throat a couple of times before speaking.
"So prickly... Anyway, there was something I wanted to tell you. I'll leave right after saying it, so relax your expression."
"What is it."
"You know that tiger spirit beast Father brought from the Grand Duke Rivera's territory?"
"Ah, the one they captured because it suddenly went on a rampage during the monster war."
"Right. The one brought here to check what its supernatural ability was."
"Why?"
"I heard that spirit beast suddenly escaped from its cage. It won't be good to run into it, so be careful. It's a very fierce spirit beast."
"Hmm..."
Chloe drank her coffee with a thoughtful expression.
Then, Coco cautiously chimed in.
"Um. What's a spirit beast?"
"Ah, Coco doesn't know? Ahem, listen carefully. I'll only explain this once. Originally, beasts are divided into three categories."
Ruth began his explanation with a boastful air.
Coco perked up her ears.
* * *
After listening to the detailed story from Ruth, it was like this.
First, animals.
Ordinary animals. Puppies like Coco or the Emperor of Mouse are included here.
Second, spirit beasts.
Spirit beasts are beings that take the form of animals.
However, they have received a portion of divine blessing and possess unique supernatural abilities.
They said spirit beasts are instinctively drawn to the human they choose.
Through 'imprinting' with the chosen human, they can make that human stronger.
And it was said that the spirit beast comes to possess a supernatural ability similar to the one the human has.
But 'imprinting' is said to be extremely rare.
I noted this in my head, but I forgot the next part because I couldn't concentrate.
Third, divine beasts.
...Divine beasts are incredibly amazing animals that can do anything.
They are basically the strongest in the world.
Ruth trailed off, saying there is almost nothing known about them.
"So a very strong tiger escaped its cage!"
"Well, something like that. So, Coco, you be careful too. I heard Father was very concerned about it."
"Hooo."
"I heard a huge reward has been placed on the tiger's head. But well, it seems no one can catch it. Anyway, things will settle down once Father returns. By then, you'll..."
As Ruth trailed off, Chloe sister spoke dryly.
"Because you'll be returned to the orphanage once Father arrives."
"Hmph..."
I want to keep being sisters...
Soon after, Ruth scratched the bridge of his nose.
"Chloe Ardos. Anyway, don't be too mean to Coco."
"Mind your own business. I'll handle it."
A spark of tension flared between the two.
I sipped my milk gloomily, recalling sister's words.
"You're not my sister. There's only one person I recognize as my family."
Even now, while barely clinging on by pretending to be family, she says I'm not her sister.
If the return to the orphanage is confirmed, I'll really grow distant from sister, right?
That cannot happen.
We have to become close so that sister can recognize me.
Then, the words Ruth said earlier came back to me.
The story about how 'a huge reward has been placed on the tiger's head.'
"You know, what if...?"
"Hmm?"
"What if I catch the tiger and bring it back?"
"Pffft—!"
I scooted away from Ruth, who spat out the wine he was drinking.
"...Anyway, if I catch the tiger! Can I avoid being returned and keep being a sister?"
Ruth, who had a blank expression, suddenly burst into laughter.
"Ahahaha! A five-year-old kid wants to catch a tiger spirit beast?"
"Yes!"
"Hmm... I suppose so. They'd probably give you a grand reward for bringing back a spirit beast. My father is a meritocrat above all else. If he likes you, even if you aren't the baby blessed by the divine oracle, you might be able to become part of our family."
"Gasp, if that's the case, I...!"
Just as I gripped my milk glass with a pounding heart.
Sister cut in coldly.
"No. Ruth, stop joking. What could something so small and weak possibly catch?"
My eyes widened.
Small and weak!
'Coco's pride is hurt!'
I showed off the bulging muscles of my arm.
"Um, don't I look really strong?"
"Weak."
"Hmph."
Still...
Things will change once I bring back a spirit beast.
A happy, rosy future unfolded in my mind.
"My baby, you caught a spirit beast? You're a genius. You're truly my sister!"
"That's right! Now I'm sister's real sister!"
"Oh my, you're so admirable that I should bake you lots of sweet potatoes, right?"
Thump.
The milk glass landed grandly on the table.
Ruth muttered as he wiped my philtrum with his finger.
"Sigh, I have no idea what's going on in that little head. Anyway, she seems very worried about being returned. Don't worry too much even if you are. I'll take care of preparing a place for you..."
"I'm going to go catch that tiger spirit beast!"
I, the brave puppy Coco.
I will catch Duke Ardos's tiger.
And so, I will officially become sister's sibling!
.jpg)