
IBP 14
“What on earth does the tiger want!”
I ruffled my hair frantically.
Black Tiger hid his body in transparency once again.
I continued to linger nearby, but the tiger did not reappear.
He didn't write any more words, either.
‘Looking at his eyes, he definitely seemed like he wanted to follow me.’
But why on earth wouldn't he?
‘My sister is one thing, but now I feel so sorry for the tiger that I just want to give him a big hug.’
I sank into thought, clutching my head tightly.
Come to think of it, I remember reading something in the newspaper from the future.
In the future, it said that only the corpse of the tiger, who had eventually wasted away and died, was discovered.
There were a few clues regarding the tiger's death.
‘It said that right before he died, he tried to go back to where he originally lived.’
I felt like I vaguely understood, but I couldn't pinpoint it exactly.
I continued to wander around the area, deep in thought.
Before I knew it, I had passed the spot where the tiger was and ended up standing in front of a large building.
“Huh, where is this?”
A human child's body is much faster than a puppy's paws.
‘Near the northern part of the mansion, there's the Senate meeting hall, a few old houses, the training ground, and....’
...The Collateral Education Center?
Since it was a place I had never seen before, I was just thinking about heading back when a small bell rang.
Then, five or six children came pouring out of the door all at once.
Every single one of them was dressed in the same uniform, with a small name tag pinned to their chest.
“Who are you?”
“Is it the new kid?”
The prettily dressed little ones swarmed toward me.
‘I don't have time for this.’
It was flustering to have the children stare at me as if I were an animal in a zoo.
I hesitantly told them my story.
“I-I'm Coco.”
“What's a Coco? Is that a commoner's name? Do you not have a surname?”
“Uh-huh. I live over there in the annex.”
“Hmm...?”
“Um, um. The blessed child, that's what I am!”
At those words, the faces that had been filled with curiosity instantly soured.
“I know about that. It's a fake.”
“That's probably why she has no maid and wanders around alone. Just like a commoner!”
“Why did you come here? Huh?”
“A commoner should just quietly wait to be returned, so why are you here?”
Why are they suddenly bullying me?
As a barrage of criticism suddenly poured over me, I bit my lip hard.
Back when I was a stray dog, I had been bullied by humans.
I had been hit in the head with a jagged stone so hard that there were spots where my fur wouldn't grow back.
‘I-I'm scared....’
Seeing them surround me and spit out insults one by one, my body began to tremble and my mind went blank.
I knew I shouldn't say things like this.
But instinctively, I faltered and stepped backward.
“I-I just wanted to fix the ti-tiger, so I tried ta-talking to the tiger, and I came to see if there was anything I could do to fix him. Please don't hate me....”
“What?”
“...I-I'm leaving.”
I moved away hesitantly.
Did they understand what I said?
The children shut their mouths.
And three seconds later, one of them yanked my hair.
“What is this stupid commoner talking about? The tiger is gone. How could you talk to a tiger?”
“You're a fake, and now you're a pathological liar too?”
“Pathological liar?”
“I guess she doesn't even know what a pathological liar is. It means you lie!”
“I'm not doing that.... I have a supernatural ability that lets me talk to animals!”
“What a joke. Hey, supernatural abilities are divided into five main branches. Even within those, they are categorized from the Aitra-class ‘Legendary Abilities’ down to Vidento-class, Sidian-class, and the lowest, Diran-class. Even if animal affinity were a common Sidian-class ability, it's not something a lowly commoner like you would have.”
I stared blankly at the name tag of the child who was reciting the details of supernatural abilities.
‘Speedwagon’
His name sounded like someone who would be very good at explaining things.
Having barely regained my senses, I muttered softly.
“My ability isn't animal affinity. It's the ability to speak with animals.”
“Nonsense! Direct conversation and communication with animals and spirit beasts is an Aitra-class ability, a power that only exists in legends!”
At those words, everyone's eyes widened.
My eyes probably widened the most of all.
‘Wow, the thing the puppy god gave me is really amazing!’
And the feeling of panic subsided.
My bottom wiggled like a tail.
‘Heehee. I'm the coolest puppy!’
Instant mood recovery!
Regardless, they raised their voices in criticism.
“Ha! You idiot! Being a blessed child was a lie, and now you're even scamming us by saying you have an ability.”
I held my head high, as if proudly erecting a tail.
“Phew, I'm letting you off because you're just children!”
“What?”
“Next time, when I prove that my ability is real, then you must apologize to me. Got it?”
Like a spirited puppy, I thrust my chin up again.
‘I should go find the tiger!’
But it was right then.
Carriages lined up one after another around the education center.
Noble ladies stepped out from them.
“Son.”
“Mom!”
“Don't call me 'Mom,' you should say 'Mother.'”
It seemed the children had been gathered here because it was time to go home.
The faces of the children, who had been surrounding me with malicious expressions, quickly brightened.
After everyone flocked toward the carriages, I was left standing alone in front of the education center.
A few noble ladies tilted their heads as they saw me left behind.
“Oh my. Who is that child? I've never seen her before.”
“Mom, that's her. The, the fake baby you told me about!”
“Fake? Ah.... Oh, blessed child, I am sorry.”
The noble lady, who offered a half-hearted apology, whispered softly to her child.
“As leaders of society, we must treat children who will soon become commoners well. That is what noblesse oblige is.”
Unlike the children, the adults knew how to hide their emotions.
However, every single one of their eyes held a trace of contempt.
‘I guess everyone thinks I'm going to be kicked out.’
But sadder than that contempt was the pity mixed in the eyes of a few kind noble ladies.
“You shouldn't speak like that. The baby is a pitiful soul. So we must be kind to her.”
“Hmph.”
“Hurry up and get in the carriage.”
The noble ladies hugged their children tightly, as if they were precious, and boarded the carriages.
I could hear the warm, chattering whispers coming from inside the carriages.
‘They look so happy as a family.’
Before long, the bustling noise faded away.
I was truly alone.
I rubbed one side of my chest with my small hand.
It was fine that people criticized and ignored me.
I could just show my tiny front teeth and bark 'grrr' back at them.
But it was different when they treated me like a pitiful stray dog with no family.
‘I'm not a pitiful stray. I'm a smart puppy who definitely has an owner!’
The sight of the children going to their families almost felt like a dagger to my heart, but it didn't matter.
I clenched my fists and glared into the air.
‘I'm not pitiful at all.’
Look how spirited I am!
I even crossed the rainbow bridge to see my sister; what does a pitiful look matter?
I only need one thing.
That's my sister.
Thinking of her, courage filled my heart once again.
‘Right, I'll just focus on one thing! Because I'm an animal faithful to my instincts!’
As I walked energetically and bravely, my eyes suddenly widened. I had just realized something.
“Gasp!”
Animals, including myself, are different from humans.
We are very simple.
If something catches our interest, we think of only that one thing.
The reason I crossed the rainbow bridge and returned to this world.
The reason the tiger refused the offer to escape and go to a ‘good place.’
It must be because of one thing.
‘And that is....’
.jpg)