
IBP 18
What was that light?
It was as small as a grain of millet. It definitely came from my body.
...But there was no time to ponder.
“Tiger! I brought it, the thorn of the blue rose!”
[Dis blue rose’s thorn?]
“Yes! Here, try it.”
As the tiger opened its maw wide, I popped the stamen inside.
The tiger gulped down the flower stamen I gave it.
I recalled the words the tiger had written earlier.
‘Thorn of the blue rose’—meaning that eating the stamen of a blue hydrangea would put one in a state practically identical to death, written in crooked letters.
However, it said that after 24 hours, one would open their eyes as if being reborn.
‘I really hope you get healthy.’
I stroked the tiger as it slowly drifted into sleep.
Without a single mutter or snore, it slept as if it were truly dead.
‘Good. Now I just have to wait exactly one day.’
After this death-like slumber, this tiger will be reborn.
‘Then I can stay with Sister for a long, long time while protecting her.’
I patted the backside of the lucky Black Tiger.
Then, I stepped out of the shed.
* * *
The world is not kind to those without connections or power.
At this moment, Dot the veterinarian realized that reality poignantly.
The person standing opposite him was Lady Rhea, a close aide to Theresia and a member of the family's collateral branch.
“There is a reason why I personally came to such a wretched, smelly, dirty shed. I wish to see the black tiger spirit creature.”
“Ahaha...”
See it, my foot.
She’s probably just trying to take credit for discovering the black tiger spirit creature!
“Well, excuse me, My Lady. The black tiger spirit creature is currently in poor condition. Entry for outsiders is prohibited.”
“Do commoners like you not know? I am an ability user. I can perceive the emotions of not only animals but spirit beasts as well.”
“T-that is truly im-impressive, but...”
“Why is it that Coco is allowed in, yet I am not?”
Rhea’s supernatural ability was ‘Communion.’
It was a low-grade ability, but it allowed her to vaguely sense the emotions of other beings.
With that ability, she became a maker of rumors in high society and even secured a position as one of Theresia’s closest confidantes.
“Unless there is a human who can speak with animals, is there anyone who can beat me in grasping the psychology of a spirit beast? I even have Lady Theresia’s permission, so open the door immediately.”
“Yes, as you wish...”
Having succeeded in persuading—or rather, half-threatening—him, Rhea paused as she was about to enter the shed.
‘That commoner, Coco, is coming out of the shed?’
The sight of her coming out while dancing her hips as if excited was utterly vulgar.
‘...As expected, my ability is far superior to a commoner like that.’
She would be the one to save the Black Tiger.
It was just as she entered the shed, completely ignoring Coco.
A rotten smell wafted through the air.
“What is this smell?”
What is this? It smells like a rotting corpse.
Entering the shed, she was bewildered.
Whether it was an animal or a spirit beast, she could commune with them, however faintly.
But this time was different.
Communion with the black tiger spirit creature was completely impossible.
She hurriedly approached the black tiger spirit creature.
“Why, why...”
Even when she reached out to touch it, it didn't move.
No breath flowed from beneath its nose.
There was none of the warm body heat characteristic of a living creature.
This is almost...
“I-it’s dead...”
She had been reported that the tiger spirit beast was ill.
But it wasn't supposed to be dead so suddenly.
“What on earth, h-how should I... handle this...”
As if reading Rhea’s panicked heart, Theresia, who had agreed to meet in front of the shed, stepped inside.
“L-Lady Theresia! The black tiger is d-dead... it’s dead.”
She had intended to steal the credit for saving the Black Tiger using her communion ability, but this was a complete disaster.
Theresia’s complexion turned pale for a moment...
“Wait, this is actually better.”
She looked down at Rhea with a gentle smile.
“According to the report I received before coming here, the child who was to be given up for adoption just met Chloe. Before that, she was alone with the Black Tiger in this shed.”
“That’s right. I saw her too.”
“Yes. I suspect the two of them accidentally killed the spirit beast.”
Even if there was no concrete evidence for Theresia’s words, Rhea had to nod here.
Otherwise, she might be caught in the crossfire.
“How about this? You said Father is returning after his inspection of the North?”
“Yes, that is correct. Ah, shall I send a message and inform him in advance?”
“Yes. To think they dared to kill a spirit beast... He must be given a stern warning. When did the Duke say he would arrive?”
“He will likely arrive sometime today.”
“Before His Grace arrives, I believe we need to interrogate the culprit separately.”
“H-how do you intend to do that...?”
“I heard the culprit maintains a friendship with my sister, Chloe Ardos.”
That meant she wanted Rhea to link Chloe to the death of the tiger spirit beast.
“Yes, I will keep that in mind during the interrogation.”
“After the interrogation is over, can you handle the additional work?”
“Of course, Lady Theresia. Unintentionally, rumors might spread throughout high society that Chloe killed the tiger spirit beast.”
Lady Rhea curled the corners of her lips.
A mere five-year-old child.
Having experienced all the ups and downs of high society, she was confident she could easily manipulate her.
* * *
I was definitely taking a nap in a warm bed until just a moment ago!
With a loud crash, I tumbled onto a stone floor.
A light bruise began to form on my turnip-like knee.
At that moment, the soldier who brought me whispered dryly.
“Welcome to the basement of the Bastille annex, little one.”
The official name was the Bastille annex, but in reality, it was a pseudo-prison where collateral nobles who had fallen out of favor with the direct line were confined.
‘I saw this in the future. The place where Theresia locks up and interrogates low-ranking nobles she doesn't like!’
The stone floor, covered in moss, was freezing cold.
The lantern hanging on the wall flickered gloomily, as if it had run out of oil.
The door was locked with pointed iron spikes, and the windows were filled with iron bars.
But I, Coco.
I am strictly different from weak humans.
I pricked up my ears.
“What would have happened if Lady Rhea hadn't discovered the dead spirit beast in advance?”
“She said she discovered the tiger, so of course she did.”
“I heard she’s just an ordinary commoner; she’ll be kicked out soon.”
...Ah, they locked me up because they think the tiger is dead.
As soon as I heard that, I felt relieved.
‘I hope the tiger wakes up soon.’
While I was waiting for news of the tiger, a woman with brilliant red hair appeared in the cold basement.
“Who are you?”
“I have come by the order of Lady Theresia, acting on behalf of the Madam. I am Rhea of Viscount Amonde’s house.”
Seeing the corners of her mouth curl up, I sprang to my feet.
That person is a bad person!
I saw it in the future. Because of her, my sister was framed for more than a dozen different things.
“Was the culprit’s name Coco? For a lowly commoner to dare add the crime of killing a spirit beast to her list... I don't know whether to call it bravery or audacity.”
“I didn't kill it!”
“How amusing. But it is a fact that you were the last one to touch the tiger, isn't it?”
“That part is true, but...”
“The culprit has confessed to her crime. I shall view it as such.”
She wore a sneer of mock pity on her lips.
“It’s a pity you’re such a foolish child who doesn't know her place. If you hadn't stepped forward, you could have gone home quietly.”
“...”
“However, there is a way to easily escape this prison. Would you like to hear it?”
She pulled a recording device from her bosom and smiled slyly.
“I know that killing a spirit beast wasn't something done by one person's strength alone. No one would think a five-year-old commoner without even a holy stigma could do such a thing.”
“...”
“Did Lady Chloe Ardos, whom you are usually close with, not incite you to kill the spirit beast?”
“Um...?”
“Tell me. I’ve come to help you.”
I instinctively sniffed with my moist nose.
‘The word "help" smells like lies!’
But I didn't reject her outright. Instead, I sank into deep thought with my spinning head.
That person.
She’s a villain who is incredibly good at spreading rumors...
‘Wait, then isn't this actually a good thing?’
The tiger will wake up soon anyway.
In the meantime, what if a rumor spreads from that villain's mouth that my sister helped me save the tiger?
‘Then people will look at Sister in a positive light, right?’
So, if I use that person in reverse...!
Suddenly, a happy, warm, sweet-potato-colored future floated into my mind.
Rhea’s face, which had been nothing but hateful, suddenly looked like a delicious honey-pumpkin sweet potato.
.jpg)