IBP 43

Happy
0

IBP 43

I grabbed the holy grail firmly.

With a pounding heart, I looked at the back of my hand, and...!

‘I don’t feel anything!’

A few minutes later, I let go of the holy grail.

“Regrettably, the holy stigma has not manifested.”

Duke Ardos's expression twisted subtly.

Was that a look of disappointment?

The priest, looking embarrassed, glanced at Duke Ardos for a reaction.

“Regardless, tomorrow's ceremony will proceed as scheduled.”

“Oh, I understand.”

The priest nodded.

I stared at the holy grail, lost in deep thought.

‘Gasp, why on earth isn't it working?’

...I am clearly a body that has received plenty of blessings from the puppy god.

My supernatural ability is super, super strong too!

I thought the holy stigma would naturally appear...!

I stroked the back of my hand, where there was nothing.

‘Why?’

There must be a reason, but I couldn't guess what it was.

* * *

Feeling gloomy, I sat on a swing in a small clearing.

As I swung while letting out deep sighs, I spotted some soot near the soles of my feet.

It was a shadow that didn't belong to me.

‘Another cat followed me!’

I stomped on the shadow with my foot and spoke softly.

“Caligo! Did you follow me again? Aren't you playing with big brother?”

Just then, a small voice came from behind me.

“We were together this morning. Hyung said he had something to look for at the Duke's mansion.”

“Ah...”

Now that I think about it, I felt like I saw Grand Duke Rivera and the aide uncle earlier.

The aide had been making a sorrowful face, saying they had to keep going.

“I want to play with you from now on.”

“Really?”

“Yep. Because you're my first friend.”

Caligo said as he sat down carelessly next to the swing.

“By the way, why do you look so upset?”

“Because I'm a blessed child! I received super, super many blessings, and I have super, super many supernatural abilities!”

“Is that so?”

“But I tried holding the holy grail and the holy stigma didn't manifest...”

After a moment of silence, he stared at me and spoke.

“Your supernatural ability is different from what's known, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Besides animal affinity, what is it?”

“Um...”

Is future foresight not a supernatural ability?

The thing where I become super smart when I think about Big Sister.

The thing where light sparkles in my hand as I get closer to Big Sister.

How should I explain this?

“Ah, is it an ability to win people's hearts?”

“It's not something like that...”

Caligo stroked his chin while looking at me.

“Divine blessings are of the same nature as supernatural abilities. Those with few abilities are considered to have received a small amount of blessing. So, why not try developing your ability?”

“...”

“It might be a good idea to satisfy the conditions that would definitely trigger the manifestation of your ability by tomorrow.”

There was only one answer.

‘Maybe that light that sparkled from my hand whenever I was with Big Sister is my supernatural ability.’

If so, there was no other way than to get closer to Big Sister.

‘I'll stick to Big Sister's side like a piece of gum.’

Then, if we get even more, more, more close.

The holy stigma will actually manifest tomorrow!

As I was about to leave in excitement, Caligo murmured quietly.

“And don't worry too much even if you can't become a blessed child. I'm not saying this to comfort you...”

I observed Caligo's expression.

A completely indifferent face!

However, the shadow beneath his feet danced.

“...Because you can just go to the North with me.”

“To the North?”

“Yeah. Not with the people here who chatter about you being a blessed child or whatever. Let's go to the North and keep playing ball. There's no need to stay with people who don't welcome you, right?”

“...”

Just as I was about to answer that I wouldn't, that I would stay with Big Sister.

I sensed a small presence behind me.

‘Gasp, familiar footsteps!’

I whipped around.

‘It's Big Sister!’

I sprang up and trotted toward her.

Caligo called out from behind, asking where I was going, but I ignored him and ran toward Big Sister.

However, Big Sister's expression was strange.

She looked a little—

No, a little too sad.

* * *

Chloe muttered softly as she watched Coco hopping toward her.

“What if you trip? You should have played quietly with your friend.”

Even as she spoke, the words Caligo had said earlier echoed in her mind.

“...Because you can just go to the North with me.”

“To the North?”

“Yeah. Not with the people here who chatter about you being a blessed child or whatever. Let's keep playing ball. There's no need to stay with people who don't welcome you, right?”

Since before, constantly...

‘It's irritating.’

But there was nothing wrong with Caligo's words.

So, she intended to just let it be.

Freely.

As Coco wished.

But...

“...If the holy stigma doesn't manifest, are you planning to go to the North?”

Her mouth moved on its own.

Coco asked with a slightly gloomy expression.

“Why? Am I... going?”

“...”

Before she could tell the child not to go, the child hung her head low. Then, she suddenly snapped her head up and spoke firmly.

“I'm never going anywhere! I won't go to the Grand Duchy either. I'm going to stick by Chloe-nim's side!”

“...”

“Hmph. I came here to get closer...”

Because it felt like this baby had read her heart.

Chloe's face suddenly flushed red.

And she finally had no choice but to admit it.

‘I suppose I don't want you to leave.’

The moment she acknowledged her feelings.

Chloe unconsciously reached out toward Coco.

“Look up.”

Coco sniffled, but raised her tiny hand.

Chloe grasped Coco's small hand as if enveloping it.

“...Eh?”

Then, light sparkled from Coco's hand before disappearing again.

“If that's light... is this your supernatural ability?”

“Maybe!”

“...You really might be a blessed child.”

Though she spoke nonchalantly, her voice trembled.

“Yes! Then I'll really become Chloe-nim's younger sibling! That's why I'm not going to the North!”

“A real sibling...”

As she lightly chewed on those words, Coco beamed with a wide grin.

“Chloe-nim's real, real family!”

If she went to Grand Duke Rivera's house, she would be treated with great hospitality.

Though that place was full of magical beasts, there would be no storms of social circles, so her heart would be at peace.

Even if she became a blessed child in this mansion, she would only be used or checked by the likes of Lucrezia or the Senate.

Even if she had a supernatural ability, there was nothing particularly fortunate about this little one's future.

Somehow, it felt as if she had seen her own heart, wishing for this little child to stay by her side, calling her "Big Sister, Big Sister."

Out of habit, she wanted to evade her emotions.

But it was then.

Coco's tiny hand clung tightly to Chloe's larger hand.

“You know, if you're going anywhere, I'll go with you!”

Because of that voice.

“...I'm not going. I was just... moving.”

Chloe simply could not leave the spot.

“I'm going to be recognized as the blessed child tomorrow.”

“...”

Priest Pygmalion had a loose tongue.

So, the news that the holy stigma did not appear when Coco held the holy grail had already spread throughout the Duke's mansion.

‘So, everyone is saying that you aren't a blessed child.’

Why was this tiny little thing so confident?

She did not say anything negative.

Instead, she hesitated, placing her hand on Coco's small body.

“...I'll see you tomorrow.”

“Before that, there's something I really want to show you.”

Coco wore a solemn and determined expression.

Then, she glanced around...

Flop.

She flopped right over onto the ground.

“...?”

Above the well-dressed dress, her tummy was seen bulging out.

The little child was looking at her with sparkling eyes, expecting something.

‘...How should I react?’

Chloe pondered for a moment and then asked quietly.

“Did you gain weight?”

Coco wore a shocked expression.

Then, her plump, round belly—grown from eating well—heaved up and down.

“What are you doing?”

“Strange. I thought people would like this. I thought we'd get closer. I thought the light would go shoosh out...”

Coco's pupils shook violently as she looked at her own hand once, and then at Chloe.

‘She's acting like a puppy showing its belly to its owner to show affection.’

Chloe unconsciously let out a small laugh and asked back.

“What on earth are you doing?”

Seeing the smile on the corners of Chloe's mouth, Coco grinned and sprang back up.

“Hmph, anyway, since I showed you my belly-flop, please grant me one favor! Please?”

...She's acting as if she made a huge decision to show that.

Chloe replied, recalling Coco's roundly protruding belly.

“I'll listen. What is the favor?”

“Yes. If, just if... I become a blessed child, and I don't get returned, and the adoption becomes completely official.”

A hint of anxiety clouded the child's expression.

She wondered what on earth she was trying to say with such a serious face.

The child, who had been bright and cheerful until now, asked in a slightly trembling, small voice.

“From now on, instead of Chloe-nim... can I call you Big Sister?”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!