
In the meantime, the Dragon hadn't eaten any of the food given by the Imperial Family. It had just laid there listlessly even when they approached.
But as soon as it heard Ayla's name, the Dragon reacted violently.
Peony and the Dragon locked eyes for a long time. The Dragon was looking at Peony with pleading eyes.
As if begging her to take it to Ayla.
'The reason it didn't welcome the Imperial Family... was because it had a separate master.'
Peony felt goosebumps rising on the back of her neck.
She said to Darian,
"I have to tell Father."
"Peony?"
"I think I've found the Dragon's master."
Peony immediately jumped up and ran out.
The Emperor frowned as if he had a headache.
"At this rate, I'm afraid the precious Divine Beast we obtained with such difficulty will die. It should have chosen a master by now."
Eliza was sitting in front of him.
She said as if she didn't understand,
"Didn't they say the Black Dragon chooses its master from among the Imperial Family?"
"Usually, yes. But that's because they felt that the Imperial Family had a similar energy to them. The Imperial Family has Black Dragon's Blood mixed in."
The Emperor sighed and continued,
"In other words, it can choose a human with a friendly energy as its master, even if they're not from the Imperial Family. And once it's chosen a master, it can't be reversed."
"Could it have already chosen a master? We brought the Dragon in through the teleportation gate as soon as it was born."
"I'm wondering about that too. I deliberately blocked all external contact except for the Imperial Family..."
The Emperor sighed deeply again.
If he were to let the precious Divine Beast that symbolized the Imperial Family die, public sentiment might turn against him greatly.
Saying that the gods had abandoned the Imperial Family.
Eliza's mood was just as complicated.
She was feeling conflicting emotions.
It was fortunate that the Dragon hadn't chosen Peony or Adolf yet.
But the fact that Darian hadn't been chosen was a big blow.
This Black Dragon was essential to fill the Dragon's power that he lacked.
'I have to supplement Darian's legitimacy somehow.'
Whether it was the Divine Beast Dragon's choice, or another Dragon's power.
He needed power to allow his son to inherit the throne.
"What happens if the Dragon doesn't choose anyone?"
"Well, it's obvious. If it keeps refusing to eat, it will die soon."
Eliza's eyes turned cold.
If Darian couldn't have the Dragon, she thought it would be better if no one did.
In fact, she knew it. That Darian wouldn't be chosen by the Dragon.
'But the Dragon didn't choose the other two with abilities either.'
It was when Eliza relaxed her body and was finally relieved.
A servant opened the door and entered the reception room.
"Your Majesty, Princess Peony requests an audience."
"Peony?"
The Emperor's face brightened. He immediately shouted without hesitation,
"Tell her to come in."
Soon after, Peony entered the room in a demure manner.
"Peony, what's going on?"
The Emperor gazed at Peony with warm eyes.
Peony had been introverted since she was young because she was physically weak, but she was affectionate only to him, her father.
But since she returned from the academy, she had an atmosphere that was somehow cold and calm.
She didn't even come to see him first.
The Emperor was secretly feeling sad about that fact.
'Maybe it's because she's all grown up...'
He wanted to put her on his lap and cherish her like when she was young, but he held back, thinking about his dignity as an Emperor.
Instead, he decided to take comfort in the fact that Peony had come to see him for the first time in a while.
But it seemed that she hadn't come with good news.
Soon, she opened her mouth with a serious face.
"Father, I have something urgent to tell you about the Black Dragon."
At those words, the Emperor's face visibly darkened.
'She didn't come because she wanted to see me.'
When the Emperor didn't react, Peony tilted her head with a puzzled look.
"What's wrong?"
"Ahem, it's nothing. But I heard the Black Dragon is still in bad condition, so the fact that you came here like this... did it eat the food you gave it? Has its master finally been decided?"
"No, but I think I know who the Dragon's master is, so I came to see you."
"You think you know who the Dragon's master is?"
"Can I bring my friend Ayla to the Imperial Palace? I want to let her meet the Dragon."
The Emperor's lips hardened at those words.
"So you think that child is the Dragon's master."
"Yes, we were all rejected because it already had a master."
"What makes you think that?"
"The Dragon showed the only reaction as soon as I mentioned Ayla."
"......"
"Please, Father. At this rate, the Black Dragon will die. We have to return it to its master Ayla now."
At Peony's words, the Emperor let out a faint sigh.
This was not something he could decide on his own. His gaze turned to Eliza.
"What do you think, Empress?"
At the Emperor's question, Eliza gave a gentle smile.
She gracefully lifted her teacup, took a sip, and quietly put it down.
Then, she met Peony's eyes and smiled, crinkling her eyes.
It was a kind smile, as if telling her not to worry.
The corners of Peony's lips trembled slightly with tension.
"I think it's a good idea."
"Empress?"
"It's a Divine Beast that has appeared in hundreds of years. We can't just let a newly born young Dragon die."
"Ahem, that's true."
"As long as the master is a citizen of the Empire, it shouldn't matter, right? They are also the property of the Imperial Family."
Eliza's smile was gentle, but it had a strange atmosphere that made it difficult to guess her true intentions.
"Instead, please let me be with that child Ayla when she meets the Dragon. I want to see if the Dragon really chooses that child as its master."
"Do as the Empress wishes."
Eliza gazed at Peony and asked carefully,
"Peony, is it okay if I meet your friend?"
Peony couldn't answer easily.
To be honest, she was reluctant to show her precious friend to her.
'Now that I know the inside story, I don't see this person in a good light anymore.'
Suddenly, she remembered Darian looking at Ayla with sparkling eyes at the ball a while ago.
Ayla's talent was dazzling in itself.
But if Ayla became the master of the Divine Beast, everyone would surely covet her.
Even the Empress in front of her.
But Peony had no justification to refuse Eliza's offer.
She reluctantly replied,
"Yes, I'm fine with that too."
After Peony and Felix left, Ayla was having a somewhat boring vacation.
She studied Magic at a set time and planned for the future in her remaining time.
As a result, each day passed very monotonously.
That's why when the knights suddenly barged in, Ayla felt the emotion of embarrassment for the first time in a long time.
The headmaster was with the knights.
Even the academy students who were staying in the dormitory all came out to see the news that someone from the Imperial Palace had come.
"Why are you looking for student Ayla? Is there something wrong with the Dragon?"
The headmaster also looked bewildered as to why they had come to the academy.
Instead of answering that question, the captain of the royal guard, who was leading the knights, looked at Ayla and bowed politely.
The headmaster opened his mouth wide at the sight.
'The captain of the royal guard came to see Ayla in person and even bowed?'
It was too much courtesy to show to Ayla, who was a commoner.
The captain of the royal guard said to Ayla,
"To cut to the chase, His Majesty is calling for Ayla."
.jpg)