WYL 83

Happy
0
I Wish You Loved Me
Vasily and Ivan get along well.

Even though Ivan had voluntarily distanced himself from us (especially from me), he had never talked back or raised his voice in front of Vasily, except for that one terrible day.

Ivan respects Vasily. Otherwise, why would Ivan, who acts like a stray dog fighting over a food bowl in front of me and Tatyana, be so well-behaved around Vasily?

Duke Libertan... Not only did he tear those two apart, but he actually made Ivan the instrument of Vasily's ruin.

I felt a gap between the Duke Libertan in my memories and the one Valentin had experienced, as if they were two completely different people, but when I considered that this too was part of his scheme, a deep sense of loathing welled up.

‘He must have used the fact that he's the biological father to drive a wedge between them.’

A sudden chill ran down my spine.

The way Duke Libertan drew a line, claiming I wasn't family, and the way he proudly declared himself Ivan's biological father in front of Valentin... Even the audacity he showed, standing confidently beside Ivan while he sat upon the throne. It was all utterly disgusting.

‘A republic? Ha. In the end, he just used Ivan to seize power for himself.’

And that idiot probably let himself be used, thinking it was a good thing.

Ignoring the strangely awkward silence, I glared at Ivan. A man who had just picked up a cue spat out the cigar in his mouth and asked,

“So, when exactly was Ivan found out? The fact that this guy is a member of Horgan should be a secret that even Her Highness Tatyana doesn't know.”

...Huh.

‘What did he just say? Who is a member of where?’

I blinked blankly, holding the warm, herb-scented tea in my hand. Then, I replayed the man's words.

Ivan. A member of Horgan.

Ivan is a member of the Horgan Special Unit.

Ivan is a member of the Horgan Special Unit that Valentin belongs to.

Ivan is not a rebel.

Ivan is...

[Do you also think... as they say... that Vasily will bring a bloodbath to this country?]

[That's an unpleasant question. Did you think I would agree with it?]

Right, Ivan... was actually just offended.

Because he had never once sincerely agreed with it!

“What! I knew it!”

As I jumped up, cheering at the realization, the man, who had been gauging the mood around him, gave an awkward laugh.

“...Did I make a mistake by any chance?”

“You idiot!”

A book flew from somewhere.

Starting with the book that bounced off the man's shoulder, various knick-knacks began to pelt him along with jeers from all directions. Crystal glasses, half-melted ice, billiard balls, even shoes...

“Moron!”

“Dunce. Just go die already.”

“Wait. No, I just! Ugh. Vasily mentioned before that he felt he'd be found out soon, and since he was brought here today... stop it!”

Vasily said something like that? I think I know when. It must have been after the shooting incident. I was openly suspecting Ivan at the time.

Ivan, who had been glaring at me with a sullen face, soon tidied up the cue and left the room. I quickly followed after him.

‘Ivan, you really did turn over a new leaf!’

Being at the scene of the terror attack in Shaharansk.

Being at the site of the shooting.

To think it was all because Ivan belonged to the Horgan Unit.

I lunged at Ivan's back as he walked away. Staggering under my weight, Ivan slid down the wall. Not missing the moment, I grabbed his collar and shook it vigorously.

“I can't believe it. How can someone like you be in Horgan? Wasn't Horgan some incredibly amazing and terrifying group?”

Sighing, he turned his head and muttered discontentedly,

“Just how deficient do I look in your eyes...?”

“Since when? 3 years ago? 4 years ago? Or 5 years ago?”

“Let go of me. Didn't you hear that it's a secret? As if I'd just answer you, you dummy.”

“Why did you make such a dangerous choice!”

After a moment of silence, he grabbed my wrist, pushed me aside, and brought his face close.

“That's what I want to ask, Lara. Where on earth did you pick up such useless stories?”

“Sorry, but there was absolutely nothing useless about it.”

“Duke Libertan.”

“...”

“I'm asking where you heard about my relationship with that man.”

His face was fiercer than I had ever seen, which made me instinctively recall the source. Where did I hear it? Naturally, it was...

“It must have been Valentin.”

“...Brother?”

Vasily, who had approached in a few strides, slid his hand under my arm and hoisted me up like pulling a weed, then took Ivan's hand and pulled him up as well.

“You didn't leave the room because of some interesting romantic entanglement between a man and a woman, but because you were nagging that man.”

...That's not it.

“To think the great Valentin has become completely powerless before this skunk of a girl. The future looks bleak.”

I could tolerate Vasily's blunder, but I couldn't stand Ivan's, so I shot back immediately.

“Why do you keep bringing up Valentin? I figured it out on my own.”

“How on earth could you?”

“The space between your eyebrows is the same.”

Ivan snorted.

“If people suspected their parentage just because the space between their eyebrows was the same, you and your aunt would have to be mother and daughter, Lara.”

“That's not it. It's just, well... I heard a few meaningful stories when I was little.”

At those words, Ivan's eyebrows shot up like mountains.

“You heard meaningful stories? From him? What stories?”

“Ivan.”

“That son of a bitch said nonsense to you too? That crazy bastard, of all people, who is he trying to...!”

Vasily held back Ivan, who was so agitated his eyes were turning red.

“Calm down, Ivan. This is not the Imperial Palace. There are many ears around, so do not act rashly.”

“...But he even messed with Lara.”

“You've known since childhood that Libertan pays particular attention to this child. There's no need to be so sensitive.”

Ah, the family knew about that too.

“So, what did he say to you, Lara?”

The looks the two brothers gave me were far too fierce for me to simply brush it off by saying I'd tell them later at the palace.

Feeling as if I were making excuses, I revealed a few instances that had made me feel distant from Duke Libertan. Ivan responded with a disgusted face, saying, ‘Disgusting bastard. He spouted such things to an innocent child? If he catches my eye, I'll smash his face into the floor...’ only to be stopped by Vasily several times.

“That's all I have to say, so I'm going back to the palace now.”

Ivan, who had been listening with a pouting expression, uncrossed his arms and let out a hollow laugh.

“Huh. What? All of a sudden?”

“I'm busy. Now that my questions about you are resolved, I have other things to attend to.”

I have letters to write and old books to read. Honestly.

“...Should I take her back, Brother?”

“No. I'll do it.”

Before leaving the mansion, I didn't forget to say goodbye to the noisy Royal Club.

“I'm leaving!”

“Eh? You're leaving already?”

“You can't! I was just about to place a bet on Her Highness's score!”

“Then the person who bet on 0 points wins.”

As soon as I climbed back into the carriage amidst cheers and jeers, Vasily spoke.

“Lara, a new candidate for your groom was added this morning.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!