
To be precise, it was a crushing failure in its objective of making me be perceived as the 'youngest imperial princess overflowing with noble dignity.'
Returning alone, I danced with Igor, and then immediately retreated to my seat, pouring drink after drink. Tatyana described my appearance as 'a woman who, having been rejected by a man, tried to forget him with another, but ultimately became a drunkard, unable to escape her heartache.' At first, I thought it was just a silly joke.
But it wasn't a joke.
<To the esteemed Princess Larisa.
The weather is gloomy again today. With thunder and lightning striking since midday, I worry whether this letter, sent as soon as the sun rose, will reach Your Highness safely.
Are you feeling well? I cannot erase the image of Your Highness's face from my mind—as red as a ripe cherry from the previous night—so I am sending this letter to check on you…….>
"Sigh."
<……Rumors are circulating that Your Highness was rejected by Count Valentin. Since I know how deep the bond between you two is, I deny it whenever I hear it, but it feels overwhelming to correct it on my own.
However, I believe this is not something Princess Larisa needs to worry about too much. As you know, stories circulating in society are usually forgotten in less than a year.
More importantly, oh my goodness, Princess Larisa! To see with my own two eyes the scene of Your Highness dancing with Igor... I was truly shocked…….>
I collapsed onto my bed before I could even finish reading the two full pages of Emma's fussing. Hangover, hangover. This damn hangover. Every time I read a single character, it felt like my insides were twisting.
"……No, I can't collapse. Fedora! Tie my hair up right now. Pick out a suitable outfit for going out. Forget dignity; just make sure it's warm."
"Uh…… will you be alright, Your Highness? Your complexion looks quite poor……."
"Cover it with makeup. Hurry up!"
As soon as I finished badgering Fedora, I sat before the mirror.
Clutching my throbbing head, I slowly recalled the memories of the previous night. Fortunately, there were no gaps in my memory caused by excessive drinking.
According to my recollection, Ivan did not show his face until the very last moment before I withdrew from the ballroom.
In truth, the reason I became a drunkard wasn't because of Valentin, Sergei, or Igor, but because of Ivan. I had merely sipped a glass or two while waiting for him to return, but since he didn't, I couldn't stop drinking!
'A useless fellow to the end. I even gave him the first dance, and he just vanishes into thin air?'
Having avoided looking like a hangover-soaked drunkard thanks to Fedora's devotion, I hurriedly climbed into the carriage that was just about to leave the imperial palace.
The expressions of the two brothers—especially the second son's—crumpled in dissatisfaction at the unexpected company.
"Lara, do you even know where we're going before you follow us?"
"Get out nicely before I drag you out. Have you forgotten your current situation? Do you really want your head to be unlucky enough to get pierced in the street this time?"
Who am I? Larisa, the youngest princess of this house.
"I'm going to throw up."
"……What?"
Brothers can be controlled with the threat of vomit.
"I'll throw up if you don't let me stay. And I know very well where you're going. That's why I sneaked out to follow you. Who would imagine that I, a woman, would be riding in this carriage? So just start moving. I'll be quiet."
"You're still not sober."
Fortunately, our carriage departed without further complaint.
The destination was a space where modern men, busy playing, frequently come and go. A secret place where sly gossip and clandestine activities, as well as unnecessary skinship—which would be unacceptable in official settings—were permitted.
It was a friend's house.
"Princess Larisa? What brings Your Highness here so early in the morning……."
The so-called Royal Club.
This club, led by Vasily and Ivan and consisting of about a dozen young noblemen, was made up of the children—specifically, the gentlemen—of the 19 noble families or those of equivalent prestige.
When I was young, I didn't understand why this group existed, as they were passionately dedicated to playing whatever they could get their hands on: board games, card games, pocket billiards, hunting, cricket, and so on.
Of course, they occasionally engaged in productive activities like reading discussions, poetry recitals, philosophy societies, inviting artists, or sponsorships, but it was literally occasionally. The fact that my superior gaming skills and alcohol tolerance were fruits cultivated in this very Royal Club said it all.
As always, one of the men sprawled across the spacious drawing room rose with a troubled expression.
"Hey. What are you thinking, Vasily? Princess Larisa is an adult now. We can't just let her into the club as freely as before."
I crossed my arms and demanded confidently.
"Just let me in and pretend you don't know."
"Right, right. It's still March, isn't it? Spring hasn't passed yet, so it would be a bit much to kick out an adult."
Valentin and Igor also belonged to this Royal Club, and Sergei had even been an early member.
However, for some reason, Sergei had stopped visiting the club. Until recently, it was a trail he had shown not a shred of interest in.
"Well, honestly, in a place where we just hang out among ourselves, we can throw away some stuffy rules. Still, the lack of notice is surprising, Vasily. You're not the type to do that."
"Why do you think? Can't you see the looks on Vasily and Ivan's faces? We weren't the only ones surprised."
"I told you I'd be quiet."
"Fine. It's Princess Larisa, after all. What does it matter? Do any of you have something to hide? Please come in, Your Highness. Shall I prepare sweet fruit juice like old times?"
"No, I am a mature woman now, so forget the sweet fruit juice. I'll have whiskey. My head still hurts, so mix it with some water."
The gentlemen burst into laughter and led me inside, one after another.
Half of them formed a pocket billiards team, and the other half clung to my side, chatting about the rumors from the previous night.
"Were you really dumped by Valentin?"
"You chased him around so much…… why not just pick one of the guys in here?"
Sure, go ahead and chatter away.
"What's important to me right now isn't you guys, or your nostrils flaring with excitement like dogs chasing after those fellows."
Oh, my goodness! Amidst the men clapping and exclaiming in admiration, Vasily, who had just finished his turn, looked back at me.
"Tanya's eyes would sparkle if she heard that. Right, then…… why did you follow us all the way here while suffering from a hangover?"
"Obviously for Ivan."
And Valentin.
'But Valentin isn't here, so whatever.'
As his name was mentioned, Ivan's movement, just as he was about to hit the pocket billiards ball, stiffened noticeably. I gestured toward him with my chin.
"Look at that expression. Suspicious as hell, right? I had so much to say, but when I pressed him last night, he couldn't give any answer."
"Oh."
"Moreover, he ran away and didn't even come back. Pathetic."
"……Oh!"
"Pathetic! I can't believe it! You even know expressions like that?"
"Haha. As expected, she's learned only the finest things from Princess Tatyana."
I quietly scanned the surroundings. If I wasn't mistaken, the reactions of these men just now were somewhat delayed and awkward. Why was that?
Having finished his clumsy stroke, Ivan remained silent, holding the cue. Vasily was merely staring at Ivan, waiting for his younger brother to reach a conclusion first, as he always did, rather than stepping forward himself.
.jpg)