
Julia said she wasn't a chef, so she couldn't do fancy or difficult dishes, but it suited my taste perfectly.
It was like warm, comforting food. It felt like eating a proper home-cooked meal.
Now that I've filled my belly, I need to plan for the future. Being alone in the room only made me think more.
No, whatever I'm going to do, I need to meet Cerden first.
Should I just pretend I don't know anything and barge in?
It's not like I haven't done that before. I don't think people would find it strange, would they?
The more I was caught by Cerden and the more time passed, the more anxious I became.
"No. If he knew, he'd have something to say. Why is he so quiet? And what about Spelman? The museum director?"
Ughhhhh.
I barely managed to hold back a scream. Julia is tight-lipped and would never say anything.
Right now, I'm just lazing around in this safe, peaceful, and quiet Crown Princess Palace like a homebody...
I don't think I can do this.
Let's go crazy one more time. No, I've already shown him all sorts of embarrassing things, what more is there to be ashamed of?
Okay.
I flung the door open and ran out. Julia and the maids chased after me with surprised faces.
It seemed like they were completely overhauling the Crown Princess Palace that Rosie and Cherryna had been managing. I knew they were dipping into the Crown Princess Palace budget and embezzling money.
I'm not stupid.
How could I not know when the maids were buying things that weren't appropriate for their status?
I had to pretend I didn't know even though I saw it, so I kept my mouth shut. It seemed like Julia was catching all of those embezzlement schemes.
They're working hard amidst their busy schedules.
"Where are you going, Your Highness!"
"I'm going to my husband! I have something to say to my husband!"
"I'll tell him, Your Highness. I'll bring him to you!"
Julia ran to grab me, but there was no way I'd let her. How hard have I been working on my physical fitness since I came here?
"Huff, huff! Your Hiiiighness!"
Julia has probably hardly ever run in her life.
Of course, she's a noble.
I was a bit of an oddity.
The maids grabbed Julia, who was about to fall. Some maids ran towards me, but I easily outran them too.
I outran Julia with my strong calf muscles. Still, it wasn't hard to find the Crown Prince Palace since I'd been there a few times.
"Is my husband here?"
"Pardon?"
The knight asked back with a surprised face.
Then, he recognized me and bowed his head.
"Your Highness, the Crown Princess!"
"Cerden, I mean, is my husband here? I came to see my husband! He should be here, right?"
"Ah, yes, yes! Your Highness, the Crown Prince is inside right now... But what brings you here so suddenly..."
"I'm not telling you. I'm only going to talk to my husband."
I passed the knight and went inside. The knight followed me in, flustered.
He can't touch me because I'm the Crown Princess, but he's in trouble because someone who hasn't been granted permission is going inside.
I'm really sorry for making things difficult.
But I'm the most confused person in this world right now.
"Your Highness, I will inform Your Highness, the Crown Prince first..."
"No! I'm closer to my husband. I'll tell my husband!"
I shouted like a rebellious five-year-old. The knight's face turned white as I stomped my feet.
He's looking at a troublemaker.
Sorry again. I know I'm being a pain.
I started walking again. I don't know the internal layout well, but I'll probably run into someone if I keep going.
I saw someone a little familiar in the distance.
Mortega?
He was the aide who always hovered around Cerden. I also remember that he was more friendly to Rozalina than to me.
He often looked at me with contempt, too. Well, it probably hasn't changed now, but he wouldn't kick me out, would he?
Just try it. I'll tell on you.
I charged towards Mortega like a bull.
"Greetings, Your Highness. Have you come to see Your Highness, the Crown Prince?"
"Yup, you guessed it!"
Unexpected...?
Why is he so calm and kind? I thought he would kick me out.
"Where's my husband?"
"He is inside. Would you like to go in?"
He's being so polite that I'm hesitating instead. Why is he suddenly like this? Does Mortega know something?
Maybe he shares all his secrets with Cerden.
But even though the contempt towards me has subsided, his cold attitude is still the same. It's just a polite line.
I can't figure it out. Still, there's someone inside I can talk to comfortably. I'm finally seeing Cerden.
He was the only person I could reveal my thoughts to and say what I wanted.
I felt like a chick following its mother around. I flung the door open.
Cerden wasn't surprised to see me, probably expecting it from the commotion outside.
"Husband!"
Cerden swept his hair back and let out a hollow laugh. He glanced past me and said curtly.
"Close the door. Dismiss everyone."
"Yes, Your Highness."
I let out a sigh of relief as I watched the door close behind me. All the strength that had been in my body crumbled.
"Haa."
"I would have left if you had waited quietly. Well, if you had that kind of personality in the first place, you wouldn't have done anything dangerous."
I looked around for no reason and put my ear to the door, confirming that there was no sign of anyone outside.
But it's always good to be cautious.
I answered in a small, whispering voice.
"I'm sorry, Cerden. I apologize if I surprised you. But I was so frustrated... We didn't get to have the conversation we were supposed to have yesterday."
Cerden chuckled and gestured with his chin.
Cerden was pointing to the sofa with his eyes. It seemed like he meant for me to sit comfortably. I carefully went to sit on the sofa, but then I paused.
"...By the way, Cerden. Are you wearing glasses?"
I felt something was off. Cerden was wearing thin gold-rimmed glasses. Of course, because of Cerden's looks, he pulled it off like an accessory.
Aren't people usually ugly with glasses or ugly without glasses? Why... Why is he handsome both ways?
His ascetic aura has deepened... No, are glasses such a sexy accessory? That's ridiculous.
"Ah."
Cerden fiddled with his glasses.
"I wear them sometimes when I'm working. My eyes get tired if I look at too many letters."
I see.
"Is it weird? Should I take them off?"
"No!"
I answered reflexively without realizing it. Now that it's come to this, let me see them a little more... Please.
"Ahem. I meant it's not weird at all."
Cerden shrugged and sat across from me. What's it like to live with that face without even realizing how handsome he is...
This isn't the time for this, Evelyn. Focus your brain again.
Why do I lose my mind whenever I see Cerden's face? I took a deep breath and calmed my rampaging heart.
"It's not weird at all."
"Okay. Tell me what you want to talk about first. I have a lot of documents to review today."
"...Can I ask what kind of documents?"
Most of the urgent matters to be dealt with right now are probably related to Spelman. I was also involved in that matter.
Cerden answered more readily than I expected.
"Duke Spelman sold his son in exchange for taking over the museum."
"Augustine?"
"I also have to find a suitable marriage partner for Augustine. Mortega has narrowed down a list of candidates, and I'm looking at it."
My mouth dropped open at Cerden's words.
"...Does Duke Spelman have any other children besides me and Augustine?"
"I think you would know that better than I would."
"...As far as I know, no. But how..."
In the original story, Duke Spelman seemed to be trying to push Augustine to become the Emperor. Was that not the case?
"Well. But is that what you came here to ask? Are you curious about what I'm doing?"
Cerden gazed at me with a playful face. Why is he looking at me with such a relaxed face... What is he going to say...
"Are you curious about me?"
No. Don't say things like that, please.
.jpg)