
“No, it’s nothing much. Anyway, I heard you’re going to be kicked out of your family since your holy stigma didn't manifest, right?”
“Yes, that is what I have heard, but....”
“Hmm, then once you're kicked out, it wouldn't be bad to keep you in the family and use you as a specialized maid for our Thunder.”
At that moment, Dot, who had been silently listening to Ruth's words, quietly voiced his opposition.
“......The young lady may not have a supernatural ability, but she captured a fine horse like Thunder in one go.”
Dot also had no idea why Coco suddenly wanted to meet Chloe.
Furthermore, he did think that Coco would likely be chased away by Chloe in no time.
However.
Dot recalled Coco's warm purple eyes.
He was currently forty years old.
Having worked as a veterinarian for over twenty years, he had seen countless apprentices, but Coco was special.
‘Especially those eyes that look upon animals with such warmth; they are the most special.’
And somehow, he felt that warmth could melt the coldness of Chloe.
“Therefore, I believe the two of them might actually become close.”
Ruth's eyes sparkled with mischief.
“Then, shall we make a bet? Don't tell me you're too boring to pass this up.”
“Then I shall bet that the two of them will be able to become close.”
“I didn't know, Dot, but it seems you enjoy gambling a bit?”
Dot spoke in a firm tone, unlike his usual self.
“We shall see the result in time.”
*
Chapter 3. Reunion
“Y-you can really visit Lady Chloe’s annex?”
“Yup! They said I could go because I did something great!”
I vigorously waved the visitor's permit Ruth had given me.
[Visitor's Permit for Chloe Ardos's <Sea Aster Mansion>]
I tightly gripped the hand of the maid, who looked bewildered.
“But why on earth are you going to Lady Chloe’s annex…?”
“Because I want to! Let’s hurry! I picked lots of wildflowers to give her as a present.”
My sister used to love it when I brought her sparkling purple flowers.
I walked with the bag full of flower stems hugged tightly to my shoulder.
And so, when I arrived in front of my sister's annex.
My eyes widened at the sight of a grave I had never seen before.
“Gasp! What’s this? There’s a huge grave!”
“Ah, you didn’t know, little one. This grave is…”
The maid looked around hurriedly and murmured in a low voice.
“It is the grave of Lady Chloe’s dog.”
She had an expression of intense skepticism.
“There are rumors that the maids of Lady Chloe’s mansion spend day and night maintaining this dog grave. It seems larger than my own father’s grave…”
The maid let out a deep sigh.
Regardless, a fanfare of joy rang out in my head!
‘My sister remembered me! She didn’t forget!’
Excited, I wiggled my hips as if wagging a tail and spoke.
“Wow, the grave is the best!”
“I don’t know why she built such a large grave for an old dog…”
“…”
Shocked by the maid's words, I came to a dead stop.
“Little one?”
“…Coco isn’t an old dog. She was a good baby puppy!”
“O-oh, you must not know! That dog was well over fifteen years old when it died.”
“…T-that’s.”
“Ah! Little one, when a puppy passes ten years old, they are like a grandfather or grandmother in human years.”
The more I listened to the maid, the more shock piled up in my heart.
I shook my head vigorously.
‘No. Coco is definitely not a grandmother.’
My sister called me a baby puppy.
Therefore, I am a baby puppy!
“Coco is a baby puppy! And a very good baby puppy, too!”
Facing my burning gaze, the maid looked flustered.
“Ah? Ahahaha, r-right. I’m sure she was a good baby puppy. Of course…”
Feeling much better, I nodded my head with all my might.
Was it because I practiced my first steps last night to come see my sister?
Today, I was able to walk confidently, just like a wonderful baby puppy.
But it was just as I arrived at the door of the annex.
“U-um, little one. I’m sorry, but I cannot enter from here.”
“Huh…? Why?”
“Lady Chloe’s mansion is in a state of semi-confinement. That is why only a very small number of authorized personnel are allowed to enter…”
“I see…”
“I hope you return safely, little one.”
“Yup, I’ll be back!”
I waved goodbye to the maid.
Then, I took a bold step into the Sea Aster Mansion, which was steeped in darkness.
A place that some might find frightening.
But I was fine.
“I’ve finally come to see my sister!”
I’m not afraid of the darkness at all.
Because my sister can control all the darkness in the world.
‘From here on, it’s truly Coco’s territory!’
I readjusted the strap of my bag full of flowers.
‘Coming back to sister’s house makes me feel like I’m getting way smarter!’
And so, sister’s little sibling, Coco! Charge straight to sister’s room!
…Or so I intended.
The moment I took a step, several dark shadows blocked my path.
“Who are you, and why are you visiting the mansion?”
“Hmm? I’m Coco! Who are you?”
“…I am Lady Chloe’s maid.”
I held up the permit with a flourish.
After confirming the permit, they bowed politely.
“You are the little one of the annex. I apologize, but Lady Chloe is currently meeting with a distinguished guest.”
“…”
“I will deliver your message, but you may not be able to see her.”
“That’s okay. I can wait!”
“…You may have to wait for a very long time.”
“Yup! I don’t mind!”
I am the best in the world at waiting.
Every time my sister went outside, I waited alone in front of the door every single day.
Then my sister would come back and say, ‘Did our Coco wait for sister?’
If I went ‘woof woof,’ she’d give me treats and kisses for waiting so well.
So, I followed them obediently.
I drank the tea they gave me in a small room.
I clung to the chair with my dangling body and waited patiently.
But, you see.
One hour.
Two hours.
Three hours…
The tea had gone completely cold.
A long time passed, and the maids' surveillance loosened.
Around the time I heard the maids whispering outside the door that I would eventually give up and leave on my own.
I craned my neck and looked around again.
‘…Sister really isn’t coming.’
In the past, she always came if I waited.
‘Things are different now.’
Because I’m not puppy Coco, but human Coco.
The moment I thought that, I made a serious decision.
“This time, instead of waiting, I’ll go find sister myself.”
I’ll meet her directly and find out exactly how she’s living.
And…
“Let’s be close again.”
I slung the bag full of flowers over my shoulder.
‘Use your brain, Coco!’
This is the mansion I used to roam every day!
I glared around intensely, as if searching for a sweet potato.
My sparkling head, blessed by the Blessing of the Puppy God, spun rapidly to find a way to meet my sister.
.jpg)