IBP 27

Happy
0

IBP 27

There was a hint from the future shown by the mouse.

The clue was that to calm the Grand Duke's son's berserk state, an ancient magic corresponding to the son's supernatural ability, 'Shadow Magic,' was required.

In the future, after the Grand Duke's son breathed his last, Grand Duke Rivera summoned his subordinates and searched the entire capital.

He did so in hopes of finding an old object imbued with ancient magic.

However, he never found it. So, in reality, one could say there was no way.

'If the Grand Duke, a man of power, couldn't do it, then it's right that I can't either.'

Right now, I'm just a grubby five-year-old kid inside this ducal residence.

'Even the Duke, the most powerful person of all, doesn't believe me...'

If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't believe the words of a baby who has nothing and reveal information either.

And what if I say something and he threatens me, saying, "How did you know? I won't adopt a suspicious baby"?

Just as I was collapsing onto the floor in frustration, the mouse flicked its tail as if to comfort me.

"I told you to give up, you pitiful creature. There's a saying that birds hear the words of the day and mice hear the words of the night. If I, who know all the night-words of this world, don't know it, then it's truly unknown..."

"Huh?"

"If I, who know all the night-words of this world, don't know it, then it's truly unknown. Huh?"

"No, before that."

"Birds hear the words of the day, and the night-words..."

A bolt of lightning struck my mind.

"Gasp, yes! That's it!"

Animal friends had a massive information network that humans didn't know about!

Specifically, birds!

* * *

Everything was perfect up until I thought of birds.

'Jjek-jjeki, the best information broker bird who knows everything, lives in a flock in the downtown area.'

Since we had formed a bond during my stray dog days, I knew exactly where they were!

However, an unexpectedly big problem arose.

"Little one, you cannot go downtown alone. You must ask the Duke to provide an escort. You are so small and fragile..."

...I had been worrying about how to get permission.

"Why do you wish to go downtown?"

"Um, well... because I want to give the Duke a wonderful present!"

I had come up with a fancy excuse, but it felt terribly insufficient, so my eyes darted around.

"...So, you're saying you intend to give presents to your family, is that it?"

"Yes! Because the Duke is family! And for big sister and Ruth too..."

"..."

"Can't I...?"

"...Go then. You cannot go alone, so I shall assign Ruth to you. But, do you have any money?"

"Huh...?"

This—you silly puppy! I didn't expect this!

As my eyes rolled, Duke Ardos's expression became strangely odd.

"You don't even have money, yet you're saying you'll give presents to your family. You're going all the way downtown with that tiny body?"

"Yes! I don't have money!"

"This child, just how much has he missed his family..."

He had a strange look on his face.

'What is this? I feel like I'm being pitied?'

But that expression was nothing compared to the current situation.

I let out a deep sigh as I looked at Ruth following behind me, along with thirty knights and a maid.

Hearing my loud sigh, Ruth burst out laughing.

"How could you even think of offering a present to His Grace the Duke?"

That was just a hasty excuse I made because I was afraid he wouldn't let me go outside.

"I'm so touched that you're even buying a present for me, you grubby little thing."

I only bought it because Ruth's expression looked so gloomy.

"The only thing I don't like is that you bought something incredibly huge for Chloe."

"That's because my big sister is the best..."

Muttering softly, I hesitantly took one step at a time.

Squeak.

'Damn it.'

...It seemed Ruth hadn't noticed yet.

I tried walking a bit faster.

Squeak, squeak.

Squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak.

"Oh, grubby. Where are you going?"

My body was hoisted up by Ruth's hand.

"It seems our grubby is bad with directions. Hmm... I'm worried you'll get lost."

...I'm not bad with directions.

"I hate these shoes..."

My walking was already clumsy compared to people who were originally human.

Because of these terrible squeaky shoes, I couldn't even run away.

I sighed deeply.

And so, in front of the great main road of the downtown area.

I finally arrived here, dragging these humans along with me.

<Bird Cafeteria>

"Ha, you walked so hard just to come to a restaurant where commoners go? Are you hungry now that you've bought all the presents?"

"Mm-hmm..."

"Fine, I'm in a good mood. Whatever! Let's go in!"

"Right, I'll buy you something delicious!"

I lifted a pouch full of gold coins.

The pouch with a puppy's face drawn on it was the wallet Duke Ardos had filled for me.

Ruth's expression twisted with emotion.

"Oh my, what a commendable baby. You've grown up, you've really grown up."

Well, I am a baby.

And so, holding hands, we entered the <Bird Cafeteria>.

Once we took a seat, I stared intently at the order sheet on the table.

<Order Sheet>

I slowly read the sentence written at the very bottom of the sheet.

"Birds hear the words of the day, and birds hear the words of the night too."

Yes, I've come to the right place.

I cleared my throat and scanned the surroundings.

'This place, filled with bird patterns, is!'

This restaurant I found was the place where one could hear both the 'words of the day and night'!

'The dwelling of the birds!'

If humans have an <Information Guild>, animals have <Information Brokers>.

The birds who helped us not starve to death during my stray dog days.

The bird friends who could find bones like ghosts were our information brokers.

'And such birds often collect gems!'

While I was reminiscing, the server who approached me spoke.

"Ah, you're curious about this too. Many people ask what this phrase means."

The server smiled gently and gestured with their chin toward the second floor.

"Actually, we keep birds on the second floor of our cafe. My late father really loved birds. So, we put a small phrase there to honor him."

I looked at the server with innocent puppy eyes.

"Wow! Birds are cool! Can I meet them?"

"I'm sorry, but that would be difficult. The birds dislike humans very, very much. I'm worried they might injure someone of your high standing."

Seeing the server's troubled expression, it didn't seem like a lie.

Just then, Ruth intervened, eyes gleaming.

"What, you like birds, kid? I'll show you. We have plenty at our mansion."

That's not it! Ruth! Go away!

"You know, I give the birds delicious things, I bring them water, and 'I shall give you sweet nectar'."

Then, I hummed softly.

I didn't know what 'sweet nectar' was.

However, I could tell that the server's eyes widened the moment they heard the humming.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!