
IBP 28
Because that song was the lyrics the owner of the <Bird Cafeteria> used to hum every time.
The birds the owner loved would often sing along to it as well.
They said that if you sang this song, the birds wouldn't make a fuss at newcomers and would be easily calmed down.
I stared at her and smiled with my round eyes.
“I was really good at handling birds on the streets, too. Birds love this song; do you know it, Big Sister?”
“.......”
Her gaze wavered.
“I really, really love birds. That's why I really want to meet them. Can I?”
“Ah.......”
Just as the silence lingered.
Ruth slowly spoke up.
“......Well, she is our little scruffy, after all. She even tamed a tiger. Ahem. Not that I'm particularly bragging.”
Ruth! You're suddenly being helpful!
“That's right! I'll tame a bird and show you! I have my own secret method!”
My eyes sparkled as I clenched my fists tight.
The server wore a confused expression.
She looked as if she were wondering if it was alright since I seemed to be a noble, but.......
“I won't say a word even if I get hurt! I can even sign a contract!”
“That’s.......”
As the server hesitated, Ruth's expression became more menacing than usual.
I thought he was about to threaten her, but.
“Can you help her out? I'll compensate you with money.”
He pulled out a hefty pouch of gold coins from his pocket. It looked to be at least ten million gold.
‘Wow, Ruth is rich!’
The server's eyes flashed.
“Yes! Th-then, just for five minutes. The birds are very fierce!”
* * *
I quickly made my way up to a small room on the second floor by myself.
I barely managed to shake off Ruth, who wanted to come along, by insisting that I had to see them alone.
‘Exactly five minutes! I'll solve everything within that time!’
Seeing how Ruth kept fidgeting with his feet, he would definitely follow me once the five minutes were up!
Right across the window on the second floor, I saw a perch.
There were more than ten birds sitting on the perch, but.......
‘There it is! The bluebird! My friend from my stray dog days!’
Of course, I couldn't be the first to reveal my past name.
It was a shame I couldn't openly declare, ‘I'm actually your friend!’
I looked at the peculiar bird with blue feathers and white spots on its wings.
“Hello, birdie. Nice to meet you!”
At that moment.
The bird plopped down from the perch and then flew back up vigorously.
“......Wh-what. Who are you? Who do you think you are, speaking the language of birds as a mere human?”
“Hehe. I learned how to speak bird!”
“What the....... You're an incredibly strange human. Especially for a young human I've never seen before.”
The bird's wingbeats subsided for a moment.
As soon as I saw interest sparking in the bird's eyes, I spoke softly.
“Do you know Choglass de Cordia III, the leader of the stray dog pack? Or, ‘Choco’ for short?”
The bird chirped wildly, pecking at my arm.
“Choco? Of course I do. He was my second-best friend.”
“Actually, I know Choco.”
“What?”
“So, you see, can you do me one little favor?”
Smiling brightly, I reached out to stroke the bird's feathers.
But right then.
The bird's eyes flashed.
Several birds sitting on the distant perch took flight simultaneously.
All sorts of birds dove toward me to capture me.
“Aaaah!”
In an instant, my vision was blocked by bird wings.
Right before my eyes were covered, I saw a bird holding a thick rope in its beak, tying my wrists tightly.
“Why, why are you tying me up!”
“Stop talking nonsense. Choco is dead! And, we loathe most humans. Even Choco hated humans so much!”
“No, waaaaah.......”
What kind of bird is this violent!
“Therefore, there's no way that guy would have become friends with a human he doesn't know! Now, everyone, aimed fire!”
At those words, all the birds gathered around me.
They really don't trust me.
But it wasn't incomprehensible.
Even my Big Sister couldn't recognize me, so how could a bird I met briefly during my stray dog days recognize me?
And back then, my name was different from what it is now.
“It's true! I brought something! Look in my pocket!”
“......Pocket?”
I nodded toward the bird that fluttered toward my pocket.
“Look! This is the roundy snake doll that Choco only gives to his closest friends!”
My secret weapon!
The snake model doll I had secretly brought along during the ‘Maid Expulsion Operation’ at Big Sister's mansion.
I had received it long ago during my stray dog days. I brought it with me when I was adopted by Big Sister and had hidden it in the corridor of the annex.
‘I'm so glad it's still here!’
Jjek-jjeki opened its beak wide upon seeing the doll.
“H-how do you have that? That's something only Choco's inner circle can have.”
“Yep! That's right!”
“Hmph.......”
I whispered in a small voice so that only Jjek-jjeki, perched on my shoulder, could hear.
“You know, I also know all your secrets.”
Since the bird was confused, I had to drive the point home.
“Like how you did a butt-dance and acted cute in front of the human who gives you feed.”
“......I-I never did that.”
“And how you were aiming bird droppings at the soldiers' heads in front of the barracks, but accidentally flipped over right above their heads.”
“Choco, that rascal! How dare he tell my secrets to his human friend?”
“And how you liked the red-haired eagle and sang songs about confessing your love, only to almost get eaten and be humiliated—”
“G-G-Gah! You, you, who are you!”
“Hehe, if you do me a favor, I won't tell your secrets to anyone!”
“This is straight-up blackmail!”
“It is blackmail!”
The bird that had been covering my eyes flapped its wings wildly and soared upward.
Finally, my vision was clear.
“......Phew, I can't believe this, but I have no choice. Just tell me first.”
“Do you know about an object imbued with ancient magic that can stop a shadow caster's berserk state?”
“Yeah. I know. The ring called the <melody of saint philip>.”
The bird spoke nonchalantly. This guy is definitely a genius!
“Huh, that's it? Then do you know where it is?”
I felt certain that it was the object that could heal Grand Prince Rivera.
However, it was said that even the members of the human information guild found it difficult to locate.
‘But, Jjek-jjekis are different.’
Because they hear everything, day and night.
I found the location of a bone hidden by a street wolf within three seconds.
‘I can find it somehow.’
The bird, staring at my sparkling gaze, quietly closed its beak and muttered.
“Yeah. I know where it is.”
As expected!
I was about to cheer, but I asked cautiously.
“Then, you know, could you get it for me?”
“I could get it. But that object is dangerous. Why does a child like you need such a thing?”
“I need it to save my friend.”
The bird's eyes turned sharply toward me.
It seemed to be checking whether my words were true or false.
I stubbornly stared back into the bird's eyes.
‘I have a feeling. Jjek-jjekis are kind. He'll definitely help me.’
And.......
Finally, the bird's beak opened grandly.
“No.”
......Eh?!
“I loathe humans. Get lost right now!”
Screeeech!
A loud noise rang out.
.jpg)