IBP 40

Happy
0

IBP 40

“You’re lying, right?”

“About what.”

“R-r-r-really? You’re actually going to give away the stone of eternity?”

Grand Duke Rivera replied nonchalantly as he watched his aide’s jaw drop.

“Yes.”

“Still, I feel this is far too excessive!”

It was certainly a precious object, but it was merely one of the family heirlooms.

Moreover, it wasn't particularly useful, so he didn't feel much need for it.

“It’s not like it’s necessary for the monster war.”

“No, but still, the symbolism of it...”

“It’s amusing. I wonder why she chose that of all things.”

He gave a thin smile.

The Grand Duke had a high threshold for interest, but he was quite generous to those who caught his eye.

Knowing this, the aide let out a sigh with an expression that suggested he was about to burst from frustration.

‘Who could possibly stop that stubbornness?’

Still, it was a relief.

‘Until now, the things he was obsessed with were either magical beasts or test subjects, which was the problem.’

Even to the aide, Coco was a special child.

Caligo clung to her like a favorite stuffed animal, and every word she spoke exceeded expectations.

However, Grand Duke Rivera wasn't the type of person to like someone simply because they were cute.

‘What on earth is the reason this time?’

“Still, it is a family heirloom in name; to give it away just because a child asked...”

“I promised to do anything for the one who saves my brother, didn't I? Do you wish for me to be a Grand Duke who cannot keep his word?”

“A-ah, no. Why are you jumping to such extremes!”

She had saved Caligo and brought laughter back to him.

He would have given her the family estate if she had asked for it.

He gripped the stone of eternity.

‘But there was one thing that puzzled me.’

“The stone of eternity—please give it to someone other than me!”

“Who?”

“Lady Chloe!”

“Why?”

“...It’s a secret. And the fact that I told you to give it is a super-duper secret!”

It was a truly bizarre request.

“I believe I should meet a direct descendant of the family.”

“Aren't there four direct descendants? It wouldn't be the eldest son, as he has already started a family and left the mansion.”

“Of course not.”

“Ruth Ardos, Chloe Ardos, Theresia Ardos... Which of the three are you referring to?”

“Chloe Ardos. The third daughter. Can I see her now?”

“Pardon? So suddenly?”

“Yes, the sooner the better.”

The aide’s head spun as the situation shifted rapidly.

Regardless, Grand Duke Rivera stood up.

‘I think I caught a glimpse of her earlier.’

A woman dressed in clothes as black as a crow.

Her eyes resembled purple jewels.

‘I am a bit curious about her too.’

He chuckled and left the room.

* * *

I feel like more people have been visiting my annex lately.

Chloe looked at Grand Duke Rivera in silence.

“Lady Chloe Ardos, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

Grand Duke Rivera’s blonde hair fluttered in the wind under the sunlight.

Everything about him was striking, down to the way his lips curved softly like the sun.

However, the beauty of another person evoked no emotion in her.

“I am curious as to why you requested a private audience with me.”

She went straight to the point.

Seeing Chloe’s bored expression, which seemed to hold not a shred of interest, Grand Duke Rivera smirked.

“I hope you won't be too guarded.”

But Chloe did not find Grand Duke Rivera pleasant.

She had never liked strangers to begin with.

‘Especially strangers whose true intentions are unknown.’

Then, as he observed her face, which changed from moment to moment, he spoke.

“I simply came because there is something I wish to give you.”

Before she knew it, a small stone appeared in his hand.

It was nothing more than a crude stone.

A sharp, triangular pebble with a rough surface, reminiscent of a crescent-shaped stone knife.

She wondered why he wore such a solemn expression while showing her something like that.

“What is this?”

“The stone of eternity.”

However, the weight behind his words was by no means light.

“If it is the stone of eternity...”

“Yes, as you know, it is our family heirloom.”

It was a stone with the most famous legend of all.

A stone created by the first Grand Duke Rivera, a jewelcaster, for his lover, a mage.

A crude magic tool made so that he could find her whenever she used teleportation magic.

‘What was its function again?’

She couldn't remember that, but...

Recalling the legend associated with the magic tool, she frowned.

“I have little desire to possess an excessively romantic heirloom.”

“Even if there is someone who would be sad if you didn't take it?”

“...Pardon?”

“I don't want to give it to you either. I am only doing this because I received a special request.”

Chloe’s gaze collided with his.

“....”

“I cannot tell you who gave it.”

* * *

“It was you, wasn't it?”

“Hmm?”

“The one who instigated Grand Duke Rivera.”

“Instigated?”

I tilted my head curiously.

Then, my sister gave me a look as if she were seeing a rotten sweet potato and pulled a pebble out of her pocket.

“I heard you told the Grand Duke to give this to me.”

My mouth fell open.

This was supposed to be a super dangerous and amazing project carried out in total secrecy!

How did sister find out?

I knew she was incredibly smart, but...

I guess I really can't hide anything from my sister.

I barely managed to open my mouth to make an excuse.

“H-hic. Hic.”

...This evil hiccup!

It's completely useless in my life!

Before I knew it, a dimple appeared at the corner of sister's mouth.

“You really can't lie, can you.”

“...Hmph. The Grand Duke is mean! I told him to keep it a secret, but he told!”

“I figured it out myself.”

“....”

My sister really is a genius.

‘A genius who just doesn't know I'm a puppy.’

Just as I pouted my lips, sister whispered while shaking the stone of eternity in her hand.

“Why did you do it?”

“Because I thought Lady Chloe might need it.”

“Why did you think I would need this?”

Since I never thought I'd be caught, I hadn't prepared an answer.

However, the answer flowed out of my mouth naturally.

“They say if you grip the stone and breathe life into it, like putting in mana, and then imagine the face of someone you love...”

“Someone I love?”

“Yes! Then, you can find out if the person you love most in the world is nearby or not!”

“....”

“Isn't that super, super cool?”

That was why I chose to receive that heirloom.

If I gave that to my sister...

‘Sister might notice my existence!’

The person sister loves most in the world is me.

What if I linger nearby every time sister touches that stone?

Then, sister might recognize me!

Thinking about it made my heart swell with excitement, and the corners of my mouth curled up.

Then, sister gave a short laugh.

“The one I love is already gone from this world.”

“....”

That's not true, sister's little sister Coco is right here.

When I made a gloomy face, sister seemed a bit flustered.

However, she only stared down at the stone and did not rashly try to touch it.

I swayed my body diligently, waving my hand toward her.

“Well. If you want to try touching it, go ahead.”

As if she had no particular attachment to the stone, she pressed it firmly into my palm.

I imagined sister's face in my mind.

Then, the stone sparkled and glowed in my hand.

“Hehe!”

“Why is it suddenly glowing? Is this a scam?”

“Hmm? It's not a scam, it's only natural!”

“Why.”

“Because the person I love most in the world is right next to me.”

Sister looked around indifferently.

There was only sister and me here.

“...Could it be.”

“Yes! Lady Chloe!”

Then, sister's cheeks flushed red.

I grinned and cheered.

“Wow! You love me!”

“...I don't. Now go.”

“...Hmph.”

I grumbled and tried to scurry backward.

Then, sister glanced at me and asked.

“...Are you really going?”

I tilted my head, looking at her.

My sister is just like a baby fox.

If you move your hand quickly, she runs away, but if you keep your hands behind your back, she wags her tail gently.

‘So, so cute!’

With eyes completely blinded by affection, I handed the stone back to sister and said,

“...Hehe. So, why doesn't Lady Chloe try it too?”

“...Try it?”

My face lit up brightly.

“Yes!”

With a small smile, sister placed her hand on the stone.

Dark, murky shadows began to flow from sister's hand...

‘Finally! Finally, the chance for my sister to recognize me!’

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!