IBP 45

Happy
0

IBP 45

While tracking the priest using his shadows, Caligo witnessed a shocking scene.

Upon arriving at a secluded spot, he discovered the priest secretly pulling a check from his pocket and kissing it.

It was an amount far too large for a priest serving the gods to possess.

Furthermore, the person who had issued the check was Lucrezia Ardos.

The moment he confirmed this, he rushed straight toward Coco.

“Coco.”

“Hup! What is it?”

“I, uh, looked into the situation. Priest Pygmalion is close with Lucrezia. Which means he might have tampered with the holy grail.”

Despite his disjointed explanation, Coco bristled with indignation.

“Hut. He’s a totally bad person, isn't he?”

“That’s why I tried using my shadows.”

“Mm-hmm!”

“That priest’s supernatural ability is the power to create a subspace. No one can penetrate that subspace. And we’re out of time.”

“.......”

“If I publicly demand a search of the priest just because he’s suspicious, it would be the same as making an enemy of the temple.”

“.......”

“So we need to come up with a plan. For starters, my supernatural ability is stronger than that guy’s storage ability.”

“Woooah.”

As Coco gave him a big thumbs-up in admiration, the back of Caligo’s neck turned red.

“......Anyway, so. Well, I think my shadows might be able to enter that guy’s storage, but......”

Caligo could create shadows. However, he was still clumsy at precise directional control.

“Hut, Caligo! Can you do it?”

“......I’ll try. Though I’m not confident.”

When Coco looked discouraged, Caligo’s eyes grew determined.

Mages capable of manipulating shadows were rare within the Empire.

‘But there is one person with a supernatural ability similar to shadows.’

That was Chloe Ardos.

Truthfully, Caligo had found the woman named Chloe somewhat irritating for some time now.

Especially the way Coco constantly looked at her with such warm eyes.

‘I’m your only human friend.’

He felt a bit bitter, thinking that perhaps he wasn't enough for Coco.

But this was for Coco, who had saved him.

Regardless of how he felt, he had to do it.

“......So, I’ll be back.”

“Huh? Caligo, where are you going?”

“I’m going to learn how to handle shadows better. I have to learn it by tonight, so it’s urgent.”

Suppressing the swirling emotions he didn't quite understand, he glanced at Coco.

“......This time, I’m the one helping you. Because we’re friends.”

Yes, because they were friends.

* * *

“Lady Chloe. I heard you lectured on dark magic at the Academy. Could you teach me?”

At Caligo’s words, spoken after casting aside all his pride, Chloe replied bluntly.

“I refuse.”

“......The reason?”

“First of all, I am currently on the verge of a berserk state.”

“......You don’t look like it.”

“For some unknown reason, my condition isn't bad right now. But I don't know when it will start again.”

Chloe brushed back her hair with a weary expression.

“Furthermore, shadows and darkness are similar, but subtly different. They are simply of the same dark attribute; there is very little I can help you with.”

“No, dark attribute abilities are similar. I learned that the method for handling shadows well is similar to the method for handling darkness. Is that not so?”

“I wonder.”

Caligo bit his lip and muttered.

“......Priest Pygmalion is targeting Coco. He is clearly scheming to kick the Duchess Ardos and Coco out of the ducal residence.”

“.......”

At those words, Chloe stared at Caligo silently before speaking the words she had been suppressing until now.

“Then, isn't that actually a good thing? If she becomes the blessed child, she will be swept up in political strife. Everyone will try to exploit her supernatural ability.”

“.......”

“It would be better for her to be disowned and go to the Northern Grand Duchy instead. The process of being disowned would be sad, but wouldn't it be better to be in a place where she can be loved?”

But Caligo’s expression was different. He shook his head and spoke.

“My Lady, I want Coco to live doing what she wants. And what Coco wants is to become the blessed child and live in this family. She said she would endure it, so why do you judge her heart so hastily?”

Chloe looked at the Grand Duke’s son with a rare tremor in her gaze.

“Hing, anyway, I even showed you my tummy, so please grant one request! Please?”

“I’ll listen. What is the request?”

“Yes. If, just if. I become the blessed child, and I don't get disowned, and the adoption becomes completely official.”

Chloe quietly chewed over the child’s words.

Even if she became the blessed child, the child's future would be nothing but a path of thorns.

Should she help such a child?

“From now on, instead of Lady Chloe, can I call you... Big Sister?”

But that sorrowful gaze.......

Suddenly, Chloe turned her gaze aside.

“I do not wish to take a risk. Moreover, if I go berserk, the Grand Duke’s son could be in danger. However.”

“......However?”

“......I believe I can spare a little time.”

Since it was only for a very short while.

‘If it doesn't work, it can't be helped.’

At those words, Caligo’s eyes became resolute.

“I can do anything, My Lady. What should I start with?”

* * *

By the time I had finished a whole container of dried sweet potatoes, Big Sister and Caligo returned to my annex.

“Huk! Lady Chloe!”

Why did Big Sister come all of a sudden?

I jumped up in excitement, then suddenly covered my bottom.

It was an instinctive action because I was afraid it would be obvious that my tail was wagging too much!

‘Huk, I don't have a tail!’

Relieved, I looked at Big Sister, who spoke like a stern instructor.

“From now on, we will practice manipulating shadow arts.”

“Woooah!”

It looks like Big Sister is teaching Caligo how to move shadows!

That must be how they're going to catch the bad priest!

I made a face of utmost encouragement.

Seeing the sweat beading on Caligo’s forehead, Big Sister pulled his hand.

“The characteristic of a shadow is stealth. You must understand that. You move stealthily, as if sniping a target. You must undergo the process of understanding and verifying what a shadow originally is and its characteristics.”

After hearing Big Sister’s voice, Caligo’s hand moved through the air as if dancing or conducting.

From the tips of his fingers, a shadow flowed outward like an arrow.

But was something not going well?

It was just as he let out a low groan.

To cheer him on, I clenched my fists tight and shouted.

“Hut, Caligo! Listen carefully! Imagine there’s a bone in the priest’s storage! Imagine eating a bone and a sweet potato together!”

“.......”

But Caligo didn't seem to get the hang of it at all.

Big Sister, who glanced at me, muttered calmly.

“The more desperate you are, the better you can control it. Because the Grand Duke’s son’s ability is stronger than that person’s mere storage ability.”

Did he gain courage after hearing that?

Caligo’s expression became much more relaxed.

Around the time he softly muttered that he had entered the empty annex.

“Imagine it.”

“.......”

“Imagine that person’s storage, a small door. Even the imagination of inserting the shadow. If you keep doing it......”

“.......”

“Eventually, it will happen.”

A moment of silence.

And then.......

Caligo laughed softly.

“Shadow penetration successful.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!