LOZ 56

Happy
0
Love:Zero
Part 2

Two years later.

At the end of April, as the weather wavered between winter and spring, graduation was just around the corner. For the 12th-grade seniors at Aster School, it was a time when emotions swung as wildly as the daily temperature.

After a nerve-wracking wait that had begun with application submissions in October, the results were finally pouring in.

Those who received acceptance letters during the winter term via ED (Early Decision) got their driver's licenses and received expensive sports cars as congratulatory gifts. Some threw parties every single day, while others indulged in the luxury of debating whether to spend their gap year in Europe or Asia.

The rest of the students, who had just received their results, continued their intense deliberations until early May, before they had to make a final decision.

Out of the ten universities Jiyu had applied to, she received acceptance notices from seven.

She had cut back on sleep to study, earning an SAT score that was nearly perfect. Along with Joshua, she had founded and successfully operated a volunteer organization providing free translation services for elderly Asians, and once a month, she volunteered for story time for Korean children at Paper Crane.

She had also entered a competition called the New Vision Award, hosted by a children's book publisher specializing in diversity, and made it into the top ten semi-finalists. During a video interview with the publisher, she revealed she was only 17; they told her that while it was a shame, only those 18 and older were eligible to be finalists, and encouraged her to try again in a year.

In her college essays, she attached excerpts from the children's book that had made her a semi-finalist.

As a result, three famous state universities offered her full scholarships. Columbia University, the place she wanted most in her heart, sent an acceptance letter along with a partial scholarship offer.

Every Wednesday evening, Jiyu spoke with Ae-jeong on the phone. The conversation naturally drifted toward which university she would attend.

“Michigan and UC Berkeley. I think I have to choose between those two. No matter how much I think about it, Florida State just doesn't feel right for me.”

What about Columbia?

“I gave up on that one. The tuition is too burdensome...”

Go to Columbia. Mom has a plan.

Ae-jeong was stubborn.

“I’d have to take out student loans to go there. My living expenses are already tight; there's no need to overextend myself.”

You've wanted to go to Columbia since you were little.

Jiyu let out a secret sigh, making sure Ae-jeong couldn't hear. Then, she replied in a dry tone.

“Who in the world gets to do everything they want except for the one thing Hunter Hamilton does? I'm fine.”

I'm not fine! I'll find a way to cover your tuition somehow, so go to Columbia.

“...How?”

The money the two of them had saved over the past two years wasn't nearly enough. They would need a loan, but Ae-jeong would recoil at the mere mention of borrowing money.

It weighed on her mind that going to Michigan or California would mean being far away from Ae-jeong, but since they were offering a full scholarship, she felt she had no choice.

It would be nice if her mother could come along, but if that was difficult, she would just have to call twice a week and visit during breaks, as they did now.

It felt a bit sad that she had already grown accustomed to living apart.

I've already prepared something in advance for your tuition. I'll let you know soon, so just wait a bit.

“Okay.”

Jiyu hung up, feeling skeptical.

She felt anxious because she had no idea what Ae-jeong was thinking. She knew there wasn't a single cent to be found.

Jiyu flopped down onto her bed. Lately, college wasn't the only thing cluttering her mind.

[Hunter...]

She murmured, burying her face in her pillow.

One of the reasons she had wanted to go to Columbia since she was young was that she often saw Hunter wearing t-shirts or hoodies that Lauren had bought at alumni gatherings.

'Hunter, Hunter, Hunter.'

Her childhood had been spent being practically brainwashed by Ae-jeong. Everything he had seemed wonderful. That's why she had started admiring him blindly, and that feeling had persisted until now.

Jiyu suddenly recalled the heated argument between Hunter and his parents that had taken place in the living room of the Hamilton residence just before the start of the 11th-grade fall semester.

[I'm thinking of skipping college and debuting as a pro next year.]

Hunter had dropped a bombshell.

The expressions that crossed Lauren and Jerard's faces at that moment were unforgettable.

The following year would be 12th grade. Therefore, he was saying he would go pro immediately without even getting a high school diploma.

Jiyu, who was sitting on the living room floor helping Daisy with her vacation homework—making a diorama—pricked up her ears.

The moment had finally arrived. Lauren, having steeled herself, opened the offensive with determination.

[Hunter, a high school diploma is not a subject for debate.]

[I'll be eighteen next summer, so I can do whatever I want. As you know.]

Hunter was born in August.

Because it was so close to September 1st, the age cutoff for Alton School, he was likely the youngest in his grade. Lauren and Jerard, judging that being pushed around by larger boys in an all-boys school could be a direct hit to his self-esteem, had 'redshirted' him for a year.

Redshirting boys born in the summer was a common practice in most private schools.

Consequently, Hunter became a legal adult during the summer break just before entering 12th grade. He gained the legal right to do whatever he wished without parental consent.

In contrast, Jiyu, born in April, was among the last to become an adult.

[I gave birth to you, so I know exactly how old you'll be next year. But this is really not okay, Hunter. You must graduate high school.]

Lauren pushed forward firmly with a stern face.

Hunter tapped his temple as if contemplating for a moment, then glanced at Jiyu. Seeing her watching with great interest, she quickly lowered her gaze back to the diorama.

He spoke indifferently.

[Deal. I'll get the Alton School diploma.]

Lauren let out a sigh of relief.

[And you should go to college, too,] Jerard added.

[College is a waste of time,] Hunter snapped back immediately.

This time, Lauren lowered her voice and tried to persuade him in a soothing tone.

[Hunter, there are players who were NCAA champions and debuted as pros after graduating college. Like James Blake.]

[Why bother? I want to play pro as soon as possible. I think it'll be fun.]

Then, Jerard intervened again.

[Son. I am well aware of your passion for tennis. But may I ask how you plan to protect and grow the holding company shares and the movable and immovable assets you'll inherit through the trust fund?]

Hunter seemed speechless, frowning as he stared at Jerard. Jerard, who was sitting next to Lauren with his arm draped over her shoulder, pointed out in a smooth voice.

[What do you think of a majority shareholder who has to attend shareholder meetings and make important decisions, but doesn't even know how to read a balance sheet or EBITDA? As the chairman who grew and protected this company, handing over shares so that such a person becomes the majority shareholder of the Hamilton Group would be a critical dereliction of duty.]

Jerard hit a serve ace into Hunter's court with a subtle threat that he might not hand over the shares if he didn't go to college.

Hunter's face turned red and blue.

Trying to threaten me with money is cheap; it won't work on me.

It was written all over his face.

Jiyu watched with a nervous heart, waiting for Hunter to explode. But that didn't happen.

His bright blue eyes flashed as he shut his mouth tight and took a deep breath. Then, he snorted and sneered.

[I can learn that stuff quickly if I put my mind to it, even without college. And just give those damn shares to Daisy. Just wait ten years. I'll eat up the entire Hamilton Group through a hostile takeover via a private equity fund. Do you think I can't? You'd better work hard on drafting the defensive clauses in the articles of incorporation.]

Wow. Hunter Hamilton, retaliating by scratching their nerves with a calm drop shot.

[What? This brat, I've been patient, but...]

Jerard flared up, raising his voice. Though usually gentle and humorous, Jerard was surprisingly weak against that kind of provocation.

[Jerard!]

Lauren placed her hand on Jerard's forearm and shook her head.

Daisy, who had been working hard on her homework, looked up after catching a glimpse of her name.

[Hunter, why do you want to give them to me? I don't want them either!]

Her innocent voice, declaring that she didn't want whatever Hunter didn't want—without even knowing what it was—cut right through the thick tension.

Everyone let out a small chuckle, hiding their smiles.

[Daisy, you should call him 'brother,' not 'Hunter,'] Lauren reminded her in the midst of it.

While Daisy diligently called Jiyu 'unnie,' Hunter was just 'Hunter.' He would occasionally complain about this, pulling on Daisy's plump, mochi-like cheeks.

Daisy ignored him and pointed to a unicorn wing.

[Unnie, can you hold this for a second?]

Jerard turned his attention to Jiyu, as if this were a perfect opportunity.

[Olivia, what do you think? Lauren tells me you're aiming for Columbia University. What do you think Hunter should do?]

Jiyu flinched, holding the unicorn wing covered in glitter, and slowly looked up. Three pairs of eyes were staring at her. Her mouth went bone-dry.

Tags:

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!