IBP 23

Happy
0

IBP 23

“......For the ninety-ninth, you have to buy me a really big and cute doll, and for the hundredth.......”

“All of that......?”

“Yes! Since I achieved a feat, I’m going to try and get everything!”

“So what you're saying is, since you've done one good deed, you're going to fleece me for everything I've got......? You're saying this to my face right now?”

“Yes!”

“......The nerve. To be so blatant about your ambition—still, it's better than having none at all!”

I knew it! The Duke and I are on the same wavelength!

Even when eating a single sweet potato, I have to keep my sister entertained. That's why I had no choice but to become an ambitious puppy!

“......Then, I shall go handle the most important procedure first.”

“Huh? What's the most important procedure?”

“Did you not ask me to become your family? Ahem.”

“Yess!”

His eyes narrowed as if testing me.

“Then, before the priest brings the holy relic, what should I do?”

I rolled my eyes and answered with all my heart.

“......Eat roasted sweet potatoes?”

* * *

“I have gathered the research materials here, Your Grace.”

A capable aide spoke while presenting a report and an image sphere.

Duke Ardos had decided to investigate Coco's family.

‘The Council has likely investigated everything, but it is a necessary step.’

Originally, he had absolutely no interest in something like a <blessed child>.

Even if she possessed a supernatural ability, he would have taken the stance that the Council should handle it.

‘But for some reason, it bothers me.’

It would be best to verify her background, just in case.

“The father's name is Hans, the mother's name is Jane. She is the youngest of ten sons and ten daughters.”

“Yes, and perhaps because of that, the family seems to have very little interest in Lady Coco.......”

He watched the image sphere of the interview between the Council and Coco's family.

It showed five family members, dressed shabbily as if they had rushed over during the busy farming season, conversing with an elder.

[You are aware that the Ardos family is adopting your youngest daughter, correct?]

Hans, Coco's biological father, muttered while wiping sweat from his forehead.

[Pardon? Ah, yes. I believe there are still procedures remaining.......]

[It is possible that she will be fully adopted.]

[Ah, yes! Is that true?]

[Yes. Therefore, I intend to grant a reward to your family. Would you be willing to accept it?]

[We actually don't have great greed.]

[Oh my, that's right. A small building, a house, and a monthly passive income.......]

Duke Ardos's expression twisted as he watched Hans, his wife, and their children speak.

Coco was a small fry.

But she was a passionate small fry.

He had expected the same from her original family.

‘To desire passive income! They are ignorant fools without a shred of effort or passion. Furthermore.......’

Naturally, he expected them to think of their daughter's well-being first when told that their wishes would be granted.

Yet, they seemed to have absolutely no interest in how Coco was faring.

[Now, I shall ask about Lady Coco. What kind of person is the blessed child?]

Hans scratched the back of his head with a dull expression.

[I'm not sure. I don't have many memories. To be honest, she didn't really feel like my daughter. Just, how should I put it.......]

[Like an extra mouth to feed?]

[Exactly! How is my wife so clever? That's right, Your Grace. It felt exactly like she was just an extra mouth to feed.]

No matter how much they were commoners who couldn't filter their words.

Coco was only five years old.

To think she had lived alone among a family that didn't even love her at such a young age.

‘Was that why?’

Why she tried so hard to achieve a feat?

“Let's eat breakfast together!”

“Mm-hmm, it would be even better if Lady Ruth joined us!”

“Second, adopt me and make me Lady Chloe's younger sibling.”

“Third, play ball with me, fourth, go swimming with me, fifth, give me lots of sweet potatoes, sixth, make sweet potato cake with me in the kitchen, and seventh, I want to try chocolate, which I was absolutely forbidden from eating.......”

......Looking back, Coco had proposed numerous things.

It felt as if she were craving a family.

‘It's almost like Chloe's childhood.’

Because his father died early, Duke Ardos had lived as a young head of house since his adolescence.

It was a title he maintained by killing off or subjugating numerous siblings.

He was empty, having received no affection himself.

Naturally, he could not give affection to his own children.

“Um, Father! Today, my teacher told me I did a good job.”

“......Ahem.”

“So, could you please have a meal with me today?”

......At that time, something very significant had happened to him.

‘And so, the meal fell through.......’

He had heard from others that Chloe had done something quite impressive and had been boasting about it.

‘I don't know why I keep seeing the image of Chloe wanting praise back then overlapping with her.’

To dismiss the useless thoughts, he muttered as he turned off the image sphere.

“So, those people have no affection for the child and only care about making money?”

“Yes.”

“The nerve.”

No matter how little affection they had for family, using a child for money was too much.

He spoke to the aide.

“When did they say the holy relic would arrive?”

“I heard it will be released with the High Priest's permission in about a week.”

In that case.......

‘I don't have time to make some sweet potato cake or whatever.’

Regardless, Coco was a talented individual who had proven her ability by securing the tiger.

So, he intended to indulge her in these tedious activities for just one week.

* * *

The next morning.

For the first time ever, an awkward and clunky breakfast time for the three of them began.

‘What is this?’

A very uncomfortable atmosphere hung over the formal dining table.

Then, Duke Ardos let out a low grunt and muttered.

“You.......”

“Yes?”

“Is it truly your request to eat like this?”

“Yes! That's right!”

“......I see.”

I know that look! It's the look of pity.

‘Why?’

As I tilted my head, a round pudding suddenly entered my field of vision.

‘Gasp, my brain is getting bad again!’

I could see nothing but the sweet pudding in front of me.

I poked the pudding.

Perhaps because my fork skills were clumsy, the pudding kept sliding around the bowl.

“Your movements are clumsy.”

“I'll be good if I practice!”

“A hard worker, then.......”

Watching me finally bring the pudding to my mouth, Duke Ardos nodded.

“Child, you arranged this meal because you want to get close to me, right?”

“Um.......”

That's true.

But actually, more than myself, I want to make my sister and the Duke get close.

I tilted my head while munching on the pudding.

“Then, stop hesitating and come over here.”

I waddled over and sat in the seat right next to the Duke.

There was something I wanted to ask.

“Is the tiger really healthy now?”

“Not yet. They said it should be fully recovered in two days.”

“Then I want to go see it then!”

After that, I'll seriously start the 'find a tiger friend' game!

My bottom kept twitching because I wanted to wag my non-existent tail.

“If you wish.”

Ruth looked back and forth between me and Duke Ardos with curiosity.

“Wow, this is the first time I've seen Father be so kind to a child.”

“You would be better off going to the Felix Imperial Academy next time.”

“I'm sorry.”

“No one can look me properly in the eye, yet that child does. So, I am simply curious.”

“She's a bit, how should I put it, scruffy....... My eyes keep drifting toward her. She's kind of pitiful.”

“Hmph.......”

I don't know what that means, but I don't think it's a good thing.

My lips pouted.

‘I wish I were a fluffy white puppy.’

Then everyone would adore me.

‘It's because I'm human.’

But it can't be helped.

My puppy body is gone.

“Anyway, let us have breakfast together until the holy relic requested from the temple arrives.”

“Yess!”

My eyes sparkled as I clenched my fists tightly.

Until then, I'll make things go well between my sister and the Duke uncle.

Still, I'm glad my sister's expression seemed a bit softer today.

It was the moment I made that resolution.

Duke Ardos, who had folded his napkin a couple of times as if the breakfast were awkward, spoke.

“Ah, and I shall give one warning. You all, do not enter the annex in the northern part of the ducal residence.”

“Eh? Why, Father? Isn't that just an empty lot?”

“I have brought a distinguished guest from the Grand Duchy of Rivera.”

“A distinguished guest?”

Until that moment, I was only thinking about happily cutting my steak.

“Yes. Grand Prince Rivera, the youngest sibling of Grand Duke Rivera, has come for recuperation.”

......Yes, until I heard those words!

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!